Bartholomew and the Raven's Undying Search

Bartholomew and the Raven's Undying Search

A Chapter by Andrew Uphoff
"

The Raven's have always flaunted their technology. Now, Bartholomew is privileged enough to view their greatest technological achievements.

"

Bartholomew had never ridden a raven airship before. His feathered Raven friends were gracious enough to show him technology and magic. The design was flawless, with shiny stones and feathers attached to scaffolding and lift engines alike. Surely there had never been a finer piece of engineering yet known to Raven kind.


“You see my fine furry friend, we Ravens value one thing over everything else. That is why these airships were built using our magic.”


Walking him through the copper planks and steam valves through the airship's engine room, Ravens were perched on pipes that had protective coatings to keep the temperature of the steam from burning their feet. Wearing everything from top hats, bow ties, and even monocles, the ravens talked amongst themselves.


“This way leads to our observation deck. Won't you join me?”


Pointing with his massive black wing, he summoned Bartholomew through a collection of pipes that led into a room. Bowing as politely as he could, Bartholomew ruffled his whiskers and flicked his tail in pleasure.


“I would be delighted dear friend!”


Ricky had been his friend for many moons, but it was not until this day that he decided Bartholomew was worthy of sharing the secrets of the Ravens. Today was a red letter day! Not even most ravens have seen what Bartholomew was about to. A technology so secret and powerful, it has been hidden from all but the select few of Raven inner society.


Turning and walking through the pipes, Bartholomew's little heart fluttered and pulsed sharply. Excitement gripped him as the light from the room evened out to reveal in plain sight what had been hidden for so long. A room full of computers hooked up to telescopes outside of the airship. Hundreds of them all scanning and calculating every inch of the ground.


“By golly chap! This is incredible! What exactly is it doing?”


Walking over to one of the big screens in the middle, Ricky pointed his wing at the display. Pebbles large and small appeared on it's screen. In a matter of seconds, several were revealed and detailed. Small numbers shown near each and every rock, though many were the same.


“It is doing the work that Ravens have been doing for a near infinite number of moons. Searching for shiny pebbles! It is what we Ravens do! It's quite brilliant really! See it sends the co-ordinates to a central database so that we can send teams-”


Ricky droned on for hours, while Bartholomew was left to ponder what exactly this meant. This meant that this big secret power that Ravens had been toting over every other species was a supercomputer designed to find polished stones.



© 2017 Andrew Uphoff


Author's Note

Andrew Uphoff
Yeah, shiny stones. I love this one.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

78 Views
Added on May 22, 2017
Last Updated on May 22, 2017
Tags: Fantasy, Cartoon, Adventure, Animals


Author

Andrew Uphoff
Andrew Uphoff

Minneapolis, MN



About
Seeking experiences in the world to share them with the rest of the world in story form. I'm seeking to spread ideas and knowledge, while helping the community of artists grow as a whole. I love worki.. more..

Writing