One Last Time

One Last Time

A Story by Amy Couture

She held on tightly to his little hand as he stomped in the non existence pile of leaves as they walked. He stumbled a bit and giggled as she saved him. The little brown haired boy looked up at his mother. A big smile lit his face up. His big brown eyes were locked on his mother's, but she wasn’t looking to him. Her eyes stayed focused on the leaf covered path in front of them. An imaginary video, in fast forward, played in her mind. The video was of the path they were following, and to where it would eventually bring them. She could only hear a ghost of a laughter that came from the dark of her mind, instead of her son’s. Red, orange and yellow leaves floated down in front of her, changing her view from present to past. The sweet scent of autumn was thick in the air. As they walked, they passed under the once tiny pine tree she use to know. They stepped over the half rotten tree that use to stand tall and drop the biggest acorns.

The mother stopped as she beheld the old space. The once leave covered floor was now scattered with baby trees, ready to start their life. The massive clear pond was now mulky and full of weeds. The old oak tree still stood tall and strong, with her name still clearly engraved. The once fresh log they use to sit on was rotted. At a quick glance, she thought she saw herself sitting there, bundled up and shivering due to the breeze. Her once small and frail body was snugged up against her father's. One of his arms was around her, the other petting the red dog.

She was shaken out of thought to her son’s voice. He was looking over his shoulder at her. A smile still plastered on his silly face. He walked to the log and sat in the same spot she use to. He eagerly patted the rotted wood next to him. A soft smile came to her lips as she joined him. Oh how she wished, she wished it wasn’t her and her son sitting here, nor would she want it to be his grandpa and him. How she wished, no, she loathed, to be sitting here, one last time, with her father.

© 2016 Amy Couture


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

138 Views
Added on October 27, 2016
Last Updated on October 27, 2016
Tags: mother, son, memories, future, wish, loss

Author

Amy Couture
Amy Couture

Boston, Costa Blanca



Writing
Thigh Gap Thigh Gap

A Story by Amy Couture


Thoughts Thoughts

A Poem by Amy Couture