The Lonesome High Road

The Lonesome High Road

A Story by Andrew Payn
"

Not a dark one, not even psychological, make of it what you will, it is about 30 minutes of work!

"
The Lonesome High Road

By

Andrew Payn

He walked down the lonesome high road in his local city. Upon his left was a bustling array of bars and nightclubs, teeming the young and energetic. On his right lay the empty stores of the day. Insecurity had fled along his body as he walked through this unfamiliar place, the ground was littered with takeaway food, empty beer bottles and other assorted items. The sooner he got away from this godforsaken place the better, but alas he was not aware, that this would impend upon his memory for a lifetime.


He was not exactly an average teenager, he did not smoke tobacco, he did not drink for the sole purpose of getting drunk, and the so called benefits. He did not listen to rap or “dubstep” he did not wear clothes obviously too large, or those with strange images or slogans. He did not disappoint his parents with exam results, yet he had little in the world, he did not have a friend group with a size similar to the population of a small country.


As he walked down this long, never ending path. Strange and exotic smells filled his nose and tingled the brain, some smelt repulsive, others smelt positively invigorating, but all the same he wanted to leave, to make for sanctuary. To reach a place of safety, and to safe keep the vanguard of sanity. The hour was late as he took the trek towards this mortal heaven, although the aromas, and distractions of this world littered the streets. He would not falter in his path, he would not stop to see what held him in his path.


As the shadows of the ever watching lamps flickered above him, the rusty poles holding up the one piece of security around him, something so, un-limiting, something that would seem like just any other everyday object. Yet they held his temporary safety, without them he would be blind in a world of sin and perpetual evil. Being held in this place for any amount of time should be punishment enough for any wrong doings performed in this world. Anything done that could possibly seen as untoward, anything said that could possibly hurt. If all of these were pooled together in a bowl of sin, they still would not add up to compensate the mental pain of having to walk through these parts.


Arousing aromas, strange sights and dire distractions would not stop him from moving ahead, the route looked clear, crystal clear to the point of perfection. But like most things in this world, it was not as one would hope, nay it was more difficult than creating a state of wondrous, momentous and uplifting atmospheres within the dullest of offices within the dullest of cities. The path ahead would be dark, but darkness shall be lifted by the purity of light, battled by brightness and ratified by radiance. Darkness shall not prevail within this world or the next!

© 2012 Andrew Payn


Author's Note

Andrew Payn
As usual no dialogue or names so don't review them!

Harsh criticisms here please, I hope to be able to acknowledge them!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

276 Views
Added on September 9, 2012
Last Updated on September 9, 2012
Tags: lonesome, high, road, short, story, andrew, payn, teenager, night, distractions, nightlife, pubs, bars, nightclubs

Author

Andrew Payn
Andrew Payn

Leeds/Bradford, Yorkshire, United Kingdom



About
Started writing a few years back. Back then it was for the enjoyment. Since then things in my life have taken a turn, and writing is often a way I express how I'm feeling. Which is why a lot of my .. more..

Writing