Strangers on a Ski Lift

Strangers on a Ski Lift

A Story by Annabelle

 

The tips of my skis glided through the delicate pure snow as I peeked to my left to keep tabs on who was going to be aligned with me on the triple ski lift. A green jacket with a scruffy beard for a face, and a younger version of him coated in black.

            Next. Ski up all the way to the line. All right. Now sit down.

            We all plopped down with a thud and a lingering ring and embraced the cold, stale silence. The man in black turned to his friend and began to speak of sports and such but slowly the conversation gravitated towards a more somber subject.

            I really do miss him, man, Lance used to love hitting the slopes here. The fresh air, the music, this mountain was Lance.

            Green Guy solemnly shook his head and I saw the glare of a ray of sunlight reflect off the solitary tear rolling down his cheek.

            We rounded the top of the mountain and Green Guy turns to me and says Have a nice run.

            They go right and I go left, and I rolled down that mountain like the tear down his face.

© 2014 Annabelle


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Good short piece, but "delicate pure" snow should have a comma, but it's really unnecessary to have either word as snow is known by all to be white. Fine might be a better descriptive word than "delicate." But that's just me, one who read a lot and notices this stuff. Gets better in the last few sentences.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I really love the very last line, "I rolled down that mountain like the tear down his face." I also like in the second paragraph the brief sentences that sound kind of like steps. You have a very unique writing voice, I like it!

Posted 9 Years Ago


I wish I could write like this. I get too impatient with my own projects and hopes of memorizing vocabulary terms from languages totally impractical for me to learn just so I can say I remembered something. It's a hopeless, nonsensical goal that. What I mean is that the writing here gives the reader time to see the scene and you say things in a new way. The younger version of the other man, for instance. That seems really clever to me. It feels so lonely skiing sometimes among strangers, but it is such a great experience that more people should try who haven't.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Keep going. :) Don't forget your quotations though. Oh, and if you can fit in what happened to Lance it would make for a great story, even if a short one. This that you already have is only an excerpt and could be so much more.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Very short. The first sentance seems a little long.

However, I did like this.

Posted 9 Years Ago


A short tale. Left the reader wanting to know more. I did like the location and the possibility of expanding the story. Thank you for sharing the excellent story.

Posted 9 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
JC
very well put together, flows nicely and an interesting story, you have a strong grasp that will only get better. enjoyed this,

Posted 9 Years Ago


Annabelle

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much!
I really love this! I disagree when he said it should say fine.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Good short piece, but "delicate pure" snow should have a comma, but it's really unnecessary to have either word as snow is known by all to be white. Fine might be a better descriptive word than "delicate." But that's just me, one who read a lot and notices this stuff. Gets better in the last few sentences.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

277 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 16, 2014
Last Updated on October 16, 2014

Author

Annabelle
Annabelle

NY



About
Hello! I'm Annabelle. New York. Sixteen. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..