Stealing Cinderella

Stealing Cinderella

A Story by april13
"

A father giving a speech at his daughter's wedding

"

"This a proud man", I told myself as I saw him rise from his chair to go to the podium for a short message.  There lots of people in the hall but he's such a commanding presence.  His speech started even before he started speaking.  It was visible in his movements, his countenance, his purposeful walk towards the center. He did not have a small piece of paper with him like others do whenever they need to give speeches.  Yet anyone can see that he knows what he is going to say.

So I stopped eating and talking to the person beside me, so did the rest of the visitors.  It was impossible not to do so especially with such a man.

He took the mic, which seemed to be quite small when he held it in his hands.  He looked at us (the crowd), before he looked at them (the couple).  And he started talking.

I practiced for hours everyday for this speech.  I did not want to embarrass myself or these two people sitting in front of us right now.  So I'm going to try my best to deliver my message in a good manner.

Young Man, I didn't know how you've done it; meeting My Girl, that is.  And I honestly don't know how you've managed to trick her to stick around.  What sort of magic did you use?  You've managed to pull her in and she doesn't seem to mind.  Look at her now, beautiful and happy.  She seems contented just by being able to sit beside you.

She's simply gorgeous.  How can anyone be so beautiful?  Is it too late for me to runaway with her?  ( And he sort of chuckles while he said so.  But I could tell that a part of him really wanted to take her away.)

Well, let me tell you a something about her.  I AM HER FIRST LOVE, I think you know that already.  I was enough for her not long ago, or was it indeed a very long time now but I just refused to believe it?  ( And he gave out a small sigh).  I remember everything about her. Her first word.  Her first step, first fall.   Her first bike ride and she wounded her knees.  Her first crush.  Her first gold medal. I REMEMBER ALL HER LIFE, the years she spent with me.  Everything had been forever etched in this old man's memory.

Looking at her now there beside you, I think I now see why you said to me " Sir, she's quite A WOMAN." 

Woman.

Indeed she is.  But you can never blame a man, A FATHER for thinking that she's still a baby girl.  That's what she will always be to me though.  SHE WILL ALWAYS BE MY LITTLE GIRL, MY PRINCESS.   I knew it, the first time I held her in my arms, the moment she smiled at me, A PLACE IN MY HEART WILL ALWAYS BE JUST FOR HER.  I knew right then and there that a FATHER'S LOVE RUNS DEEP.  You might not understand everything that I am saying now, but you will eventually.  When this kind of miracle happens to you one day; when you will have a daughter of your own.  You will feel this kind of miracle.

I remembered the first time she brought you to our house to meet her mom and I.  Well, she told us about you long before that.  She's always like that.  She wants us to know everything that's happening in her life.  I can always see right through her you know.  It's a trait I developed over the years.  It is a must if I may say so.  With a mind and personality like hers, you'll never know what to expect, so you just have to learn how to read her.  There, I told you already.  And that very night, the first time I saw you together, I knew that it was only a matter of time before you take her away from me.  Yes.  That's what I felt right there and then. Someone is going to steal my little girl; the one who loves dressing up like a fairy tale princess as a child.  Someone is STEALING MY CINDERELLA, my little princess.

But as I got to know you, as you tried your best to win my heart like you've done hers, I no longer feel that way.  Honestly, I prayed that she will find someone like you one day.  Someone who will love her and protect her.  Someone who will make her happy.  Someone who will turn her into a queen.  Someone whom she will share a HAPPILY EVER AFTER.  But it's STILL HARD TO GIVE HER AWAY. 

So you better live up to your promise, to your vow.  I will be watching you, young man.

And to you, My baby girl.  Look at you.  You're PERFECT.  And I know that your love for this man is great.  But even if you have him now, don't forget that YOU WILL ALWAYS HAVE ME.  I love you MY PRINCESS.

 I WISH YOU BOTH HAPPINESS.

And with that, he ended his speech.  I was looking at him the entire time.  And for such a loving father, it was impossible for him to hold back his tears as he was giving a speech about his little girl, the one he gave away that day.  His voice was kind of choking as he was about to end his speech but he still managed to smile.  He went to his daughter and hugged her tight and shook the hands of the groom.

Walking tall and proud, he returned to his seat.  His wife hugged him. And the entire hall was filled with applause from everyone.

 

 

 

-April13 12/27/12-

 

 

 

© 2012 april13


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

108 Views
Added on December 27, 2012
Last Updated on December 27, 2012

Author

april13
april13

Philippines



Writing
She She

A Story by april13


Terrified Terrified

A Poem by april13