Moses and the Roses

Moses and the Roses

A Chapter by Aradia Lecrawe
"

This is just part of the second chapter. I'll add the rest when I fix it.

"
Casey parked the jeep in the driveway of the small shop. As the engine died, she was met with the sound of a dozen wind chimes hanging from the porch of the small building. At first glance, the little wooden cottage-turned-shop gave the air of old abandon. Casey guessed that was where it got its charm. The planks creaked as she walked up the sun bleached steps while trying to avoid being knocked with chimes. Faint smells of patchouli and nag champa wafted through the screen door. Hanging from a weathered rope, a sign hung on the door frame. A faded, hand carved witch's hat swayed in the wind; "The Witch is in" painted in red that was chipping away. Magick buzzed around Casey causing the hairs on her arms to stand. New wards, she thought looking around. Someone must have caused trouble. 
Pushing the door open Casey called out," Momma Carmon!" She looked around waiting for an answer. Nothing really changed in the shop over the years. Every wall was lined with shelves full of bottles, boxes, incense burners, you name it. On the back wall surrounding the office door were books and books and books. Everything was covered in the shop when it came to the Craft. A book on any path you wanted to know about or supplies you needed could be found in the little wooden cottage. Most everything Casey learned was in the back rooms of the shop; discoveries of who she was and what she was capable of. Sometimes it didn't end so well and the fire department was called more than once. A lot of trial and error took place here. 
"Momma!" Casey hollered toward the office. Only the sound of Fleetwood Mac playing over the sound system filled her ears. Slightly irritated, she stomped back into the room. A desk sat littered with an array of crafting tools. On the end sat a rather large black cat with yellow eyes and the top of his right ear jaggedly tipped. An altar was set up across the way, herbs still burning in the small pewter cauldron. She turned to the cat who was watching with a bored look. 
"Did they finally blow themselves into oblivion?" He said nothing; only stared at her as if to say he wouldn't have been surprised.  Casey looked around once more to see the back door was open slightly. "C'mon, Chester," she said picking up the cat and walking out the back. She was greeted with a huge herb garden spread over the back yard. Looking over the greenery she was met with the sight of two female rear ends sticking out of the rose bushes lining the edge of the yard. Casey quietly walked through the many raised plots. Pungent smells filled her nose from the many blooms surround her. She could hear hushed whispers from the foliage as she approached.
"She did that on purpose!" one said fiercely. 
"Of course she did. She's a b***h. Always has been," the other replied. 
"I'm gonna put a lightning rod on it." Giggling erupted causing the rumps to wiggle in glee. Casey tilted her head and opened her mouth to say something but Chester decided the larger of the two backsides looked like a better place to be than in her arms. He leaped and landed digging claws into the cheeks of said posterior resulting in a loud, terrified shriek of pain. The owner of the injured butt shot into an upright position grabbing where Chester had clung while flinging her arm about in the branches that were trapping her.
"Hot damn, Chester!" she said turning. "Oh, Casey, honey. I'm so happy to see you!"
"Momma Sylveey, what were you two doing?" Casey said chuckling at them. The other woman slowly started to back out of the bushes with the occasional "ow" and profanity.
"Ellen put up a lovely yard decoration," Sylveey said.
"Right on the property line," Carmon followed.
"Facing right in the office window," Sylveey finished. Casey looked through the bushes and saw the outline of a large yard statue. She wasn't able to see what it was exactly, but it must have been bad if it was making the two women angry.
"Why are you so upset over a statue?" asked Casey walking back with them. 
"It's not just a statue. It's what kind of statue," said Carmon picking leaves and bits of twigs from her mane of strawberry blond hair. Casey looked at Sylveey whose round face had turned red with ire. Her eyes narrowed causing her Cherokee cheekbones to to scrunch higher and hide any expression Casey tried to see. 
"Jesus?" Casey guessed but was met with the shake of a head.
"Moses," Carmon piped up opening the door. As they shuffled in, Casey glanced next door to see the statue clearly. Five feet in height, the statue depicted Moses holding the Ten Commandments. The same man who originally spoke against witches in the Bible was staring into the shop. Ellen must have been really angry or really stupid to put it there. Since Carmon and Sylveey opened the shop, it had been nonstop bickering and, over time literally, brawls. Thankfully, the police weren't called but Casey guessed it was a matter of time. Older women had to pass the time somehow.
"What did you need, Sweetheart?" asked Carmon as she sat at her crafting table. Sylveey joined her and slipped reading classes on the tip of her short nose. 
"I have to meet with the Alpha tonight," Casey said putting a silver dime on the altar. She could feel Sylveey peering over her spectacles and Carmon widening her bright blue eyes. 
"Why on earth would you do that?" Carmon asked. 
"He called. I have to answer him. A lycan was killed last night and I'm guessing they want claim to the body," Casey explained and lit a cone of incense. She blew to ignite the cherry brighter before setting it in front of the statue of the Goddess. 
"So go tell him he can have it," Sylveey said. 
"I plan on it, but the thing is, I need an offering," she turned and looked at her coven mothers.  She knew before leaving the house that the only ones that could help her were Carmon and Sylveey. Even though the Alpha called her, it was still tradition and a sign of respect to take a gift. The thing was, it couldn't be a cake or dog biscuit or what have you. Lycans needed practical gifts and rarely accepted anything with magick. They distrusted it. Sometimes they hated it. Casey didn't blame them. Magick is why they were what they were.
"What did you want to give him?" Carmon asked. 
"You could take him a bunch of deer meat and say 'Now you don't have to hunt for the next week,'" Sylveey chuckled. Casey grinned but realized he would probably hang her by her toes. 
"What about a knife? A fetish that he could use," suggested Carmon turning to rummage through a box by her feet. "Syl and I have been making bone knives for the festival. Real bone and leather."
"I guess he could use a knife, but they carry them all the time," Casey said sitting at the table.
"I thought they would but it would be blessed."
"I dunno, Momma. They are skiddish around magick."
"I have an idea," said Sylveey. 


© 2014 Aradia Lecrawe


Author's Note

Aradia Lecrawe
This is short, I know, but I had to get out something. The rest will be added later.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Bood start and good writting, you start very well and you are good writer that i can surely tell you

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

280 Views
1 Review
Added on February 4, 2014
Last Updated on February 4, 2014
Tags: hourglass inc, vampires, werewolves, magick


Author

Aradia Lecrawe
Aradia Lecrawe

Sparta, TN



About
Since I was young, writing came naturally. In my spare time I work on my writings and become hesitant to post them since it's never perfect enough for me. I stay mainly in the genre of fantasy but my .. more..

Writing