The Blade

The Blade

A Poem by Tate Morgan
"

I know someday he'll cut himself as boys always seem to do Mixing his blood, with tears and mud to each owner it ever knew

"




Drake and I. Father son night at school.



My grandfather was a marine

who made us think he could spit nails

Forged in the war, baked to the core

a man honed from his life’s travails


From him came my own father

whom then worked sun up to sunset

Driving horses, on race courses

of a life I'll never forget

 

My grandfather had owned a knife

where it came from I'll never know

Held by this man, whose own life span

had never bent nor been laid low


He passed that knife to my father

who in turn then gave it to me

And through our blood, the dirt and mud

it had bound itself to all three

 

I met Drake when he was seven

a troubled, angry, lonesome, child

This wondrous brain, who hid his pain

in a heart that was brash and wild


He'd touched my soul in such a way

I couldn't help but feel his pain

So unafraid, I gave that blade

forging a link to my own chain

 

I know someday he'll cut himself

as boys always seem to do

Mixing his blood, in tears and mud

to each owner it ever knew


I wish I could have been Drake's dad

so sad that I wasn't the one

I hoped he'd see, this gift from me

was meant from a father to son


© 2021 Tate Morgan


Author's Note

Tate Morgan
Drake and I have had a bond that was as strong as any father and child. I passed my knife onto Drake because he would appreciate it. I had hoped whenever he held it he would think of the bond between us.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This moving piece reminds me of just how profound an impact we have on the lives of one another; truly there is no measure sufficient to judge how a small and simple gesture can and does change the very fabric of people. Something which may seem a kind and moving gesture, may in the end, turn out to change the very course of a persons life. That simple act can grow exponentially and reach far beyond our wildest imaginings. Even our highest hopes for someone could easily be surpassed by the actual good, in the end created by a simple, thoughtful act of kindness. Those that came before us blazed the trail and made the way clearer for all those to come afterwards. I doubt your grandfather could have imagined how his legacy touched the life of someone he would never know.

""Every boy that has a father missing from his life, has a hole inside his soul the size and shape of his father. The mother can raise a good citizen, an educated man with good ethics and values, but he will always have that hole inside his soul; the size and shape of his father."
~Oprah~

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tate Morgan

11 Years Ago

Thank you Veronica.It didn't go unnoticed by me that Oprah agrees with Mark Ric and I. Happiness is .. read more



Reviews

I've read through several of the reviews left in this poem, and I gotta say--I think we all agree on one thing. This is a very well-made, touching, almost tear-jerking poem. I'd just like to share a little something regarding my own older brother.
You see, our dad is in the military force as well, so we rarely get to see him. If we do, he's either too busy contacting his superiors or he's resting. So, through all the times my brother needed him, he wasn't there. The father figure he always had was his best friend's dad. I could see you in that man--someone unafraid to take care, love, accept and trust a child who will always ever know a father as a friend, a confidante, and someone who will always listen. Great poem!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Tate Morgan

11 Years Ago

thank you
This is an amazingly endearing, eloquently written poem, it's wonderful to read about special bonds Fathers and Sons share and pass down something tangible to the next generations of sons, as well as the Special Bonds Mothers and Daughters share with each other, families, friends also.

Amazing flow, great use in your choice of words, very poignant, with the music tying everything to each other. Thank you for sharing, brilliantly penned!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Tate Morgan

11 Years Ago

Barrie thank you dear.drop me a line i need to talk
I don't think passing a much used and meaningful knife to a son is an "American" thing. Or even a thing only men would understand. I know many who have passed down everything from sabers to rifles and pistols. It is no different than a woman giving jewelry or some keepsake to another generation. These are heirlooms that meant a great deal to their owner during the course of their life.
This is a beautiful tribute, Tate to a young boy you love as a son. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Tate Morgan

11 Years Ago

thank you for all your advice and this review
A very heartfelt, tear-jerking poem I can relate to in more ways than you may ever know. Drake was a fortunate boy to have met you. No doubt in my mind he will always think of you with love as well.

I read James' review and think perhaps he may have missed the word, 'unafraid' in the line, "So unafraid, I gave that blade." If the thought that he might self-harm himself had ever crossed your mind you would not have been unafraid to give it to him. And I think you are sensitive enough to have picked up on any signs like that.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Tate Morgan

11 Years Ago

ellen i hope this finds you well and smiling as you have left me
Ellen Hammond

11 Years Ago

Thanks Tate. I am smiling for sure now. Although your poem really tugged at my heart strings and wa.. read more
Tate Morgan

11 Years Ago

thank you it sure pulled my heart strings as well
Tate my friend I love this poem and have read it several times and I have to apologize to you for taking issue with this guy James for psychoanalyzing the crap out of you and this beautiful piece. I also apologize for taking issue with Mr Paget for his "it must be an American thing" remark. I know you think the world of Mr Paget so that's why I had to put down a second review. To me this poem is all about male bonding. Hello? Marine over here. Male bonding particularly with weapons, Yeah. I get that down to the last strand of DNA in my body. It's not an "American thing." It's a Man thing.

Posted 11 Years Ago


3 of 4 people found this review constructive.

Tate Morgan

11 Years Ago

no she doesnt understand
Lena M. P.

11 Years Ago

I have to add to this. My husband has passed the love of knives to my son also and it was not only .. read more
This comment has been deleted by this poetry author.
Honestly a true work of life's past down wisdom and art my friend really this is perfect to me and a dam fine read to anyone whom may stumble apon this.
cheers and keep posting my friend Gonzo

Posted 11 Years Ago


Tate Morgan

11 Years Ago

thank you very much
Powerful piece. I especially like the symbolic nature of the generations being ties together by the blood drawn by the blade. Nicely done.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Tate Morgan

11 Years Ago

thank you very much
Tate,you are the bomb

Posted 11 Years Ago


Tate Morgan

11 Years Ago

thank you
So very well felt and expressed, a treasure, simply a treasure.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Tate Morgan

11 Years Ago

Roarke thank you sir
Girls did that too. Me anyway. Cool.
Love the drawing and the lryics at the end!
Thanks so much for sharing that.
Cant wait for my BF to read it. You know the kind. Has a heart but u can not c it?
It will touch him too.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Tate Morgan

11 Years Ago

thank you

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

8021 Views
127 Reviews
Shelved in 7 Libraries
Added on April 10, 2013
Last Updated on June 25, 2021
Tags: poetry

Author

Tate Morgan
Tate Morgan

Marion , OH



About
Available from Amazon XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX I am a product of the Midwest. Raised on the plain states of North America. I was nurtured on a .. more..

Writing
Pain Pain

A Poem by Tate Morgan


Memories Memories

A Poem by Tate Morgan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Heart Heart

A Poem by Tate Morgan