Days That I Have Known

Days That I Have Known

A Poem by Tate Morgan
"

Oh please just let me be gracious and smile when the day draws near Then wish him well, as time will tell if I can overcome my fear

"

Tatertot


The days of life are winding down

as I but fear what lies ahead

My son has reached that time in life

that always filled my mind with dread



There's just a year until that day

when I just hope that I may grow

To be the man, I pray I can

as the time comes to let him go



This week we go on vacation

and as we share these times of  joy

Within the bonds of family

he'll spend his last days as a boy


I've done what I set out to do

back so many a year ago

 Instilling in him foundations

of all the things he needs to know



Oh please just let me be gracious

and smile when the day draws near

Then wish him well, as time will tell

if I can overcome my fear



For then my son will be a man

with strength to face the new found dawn

In knowledge that he's not alone

as my heart breaks for all that's gone



tatearis's  album on Photobucket






© 2021 Tate Morgan


Author's Note

Tate Morgan
I knew this this day would come. It is so near I can taste it. I will walk out to see him off with a smile upon my face. Give him the speech I like to call "what it means to be a man". Tell him to trust his instincts. Never take something for nothing. Never take unfair advantage of another nor let them take unfair advantage of him. Help those who need it and respect all the women in his life. "Son the value of a man lies not in what he owns, but in what he gives to others". Then I'll wave as he sets off, as my heart simply breaks.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Warmth and tenderness wash over me in waves as I read this moving piece penned straight from your heart. The values you ask of your son as he sets sail on the winds of life are embedded in his DNA, for he is your son and has learned by watching you embody those values. It will take practice, like riding a bike for the first time takes practice and little bit of blood, but his foundation is strong. May his compass always guide him to a true north, so that he always knows where home is, the place he can always return to, and be fully embraced. Yes, your heart will break, it will never be the same again, but the wonders of watching him live out his life are well worth the pain.

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Tate Morgan

10 Years Ago

I thank you very much I am trying my best



Reviews

The song, Memories is so fitting, as I read about letting your son go, that is hard for any parent to do. As you say, be gracious and smile, while the tears fall in private... My first daughter, I cried for 3 days.

I wrote, you watch them spread their wings and fly away...

Posted 10 Years Ago


Tate Morgan

10 Years Ago

Oh God just let me live through it and not fall apart . thank you
This is a great poem Tate. I liked the last stanza the best. Time is a funny thing but it accomodates the ones who prepare for it's passing. I am sure that you have prepared him well. I have seen so many people (especially in my age range) who don't even try with their kids. It seems like they were spoiled without being taught any values so they don't know how to instill anything into their children when it comes their time to be a parent.

I personally don't want children. I like kids but that is exactly why I don't want to bring one into a world like this.

I imagine it can be sad to witness a child's growth when we are accustomed to how we know them when they are young. But I would also imagine that it is worth it to watch their evolution and know that you were the one who played a part in it.

I sincerely enjoyed reading this, Tate. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Tate Morgan

10 Years Ago

It is the greatest joy I have ever known thank you
wow, tate...got to let him go...it's time...yet can we ever let them go?

not really...a parent's love has to be the strongest love there is...

and we worry the distance will weaken that love...but i doubt it.

it will continue to grow.

jacob

Posted 10 Years Ago


Tate Morgan

10 Years Ago

Im glad you like it .It will be a hard time but a joyous one
This is tear-jerking, it is very beautiful.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Tate Morgan

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much
Akashi

10 Years Ago

You are greatly welcomed.
I should have known better... should have had a Kleenex by my side before reading this!
You always make me tear up! :P
I love this...it's the fruit of life.. to see your love and accomplishments grow through your children.
It hurts to let go...just remember he will always love you.
A Beautiful write, Tater Tot! 100/100 for breaking my heart!~xoxo~

Posted 10 Years Ago


Tate Morgan

10 Years Ago

Thank you dear. Oh I dread this day so. But it has to come and without the hindrance of my holding o.. read more
Robbie~xoxo~

10 Years Ago

I know, I know... (((hugs)))... chin up buttercup!
Tate Morgan

10 Years Ago

yep "sigh"
beautiful in sentiment and words
you always have a way of touching a soul
filled with a Father's deep love
thank you for sharing fine sir...and one day he will show up holding a grandchild*)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Tate Morgan

10 Years Ago

Holly thank you I hope I live up to my own standards on that day.
Beautiful Tater Tot!
You've got me all choked up buddy!
I love the way you write, placing perspectives in our lives that are real. Loving and letting go with the knowledge that you have done your best to prepare your son to live life with both eyes open, as well as his heart. Bravo!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Tate Morgan

10 Years Ago

Thanks Pricilla.I will let you know how it goes when it happens.
You may be losing a son but you are going to gain a friend for life. Nice write.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Tate Morgan

10 Years Ago

He has and always will be my best friend.Thank you
Tate, I can feel both your pride and your heartache in this poem. I think this is how it is, though, for good parents. The love that makes you so sad to see them grow up is the love that you will give in letting them go. My sister has three girls. The second leaves for college in mere weeks. As I read your poem, I know exactly how she is feeling... Nicely penned.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Tate Morgan

10 Years Ago

Children they allow us to try to do better on them than we had it
A delicate piece that negates the reader to complete with an open mind and heart, well done, good read.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Tate Morgan

10 Years Ago

Thank you Thomas such a gentleman you are

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

5119 Views
97 Reviews
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on June 24, 2013
Last Updated on April 4, 2021
Tags: poetry

Author

Tate Morgan
Tate Morgan

Marion , OH



About
Available from Amazon XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX I am a product of the Midwest. Raised on the plain states of North America. I was nurtured on a .. more..

Writing
Pain Pain

A Poem by Tate Morgan


Memories Memories

A Poem by Tate Morgan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Peaches Peaches

A Poem by Tate Morgan


Heart Heart

A Poem by Tate Morgan