The Shirt

The Shirt

A Poem by Tate Morgan
"

They walked with me most of my life watered my soul to grow loves seed Bore my pains within their own breasts through the times of my deepest need

"
Scout and I 

I wish to find in my own heart

on each cold and blustery day

Selfless meanderings of love

for those who helped me on my way

 

They walked with me most of my life

watered my soul to grow loves seed

Bore my pains within their own breasts

through the times of my deepest need

 

Count yourself a fortunate prince

to be able to name just one

For whom your welfare is indeed

a concern that is never done


They are to me like my old shirt

that I wear with great dignity

reminding me of my own worth

and hope for all humanity

 







© 2023 Tate Morgan


Author's Note

Tate Morgan
I consider myself fortunate to have had a few good friends. I can count on one hand their number. This poem is meant for one in particular. Without whom I would not have made it to write this. Thank you Robyn! She gave me a certain Banana Republic shirt that I treasure. So count yourself a fortunate princess Robyn. Be assured I am one for whom your welfare will never be done. Being so scarce great friends are considered precious. The miracle many wish for is not in a life we missed. It lies within the life we have. And so friends give us the feeling that we are loved as much or more than we love others. Those few memories unlike most are the only ones we recall in color not black and white. This because they are associated with the colorful shirt that painted the brush strokes of our lives together and times apart.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Oh, I love this. I am also someone who cherishes my friends. Grateful in so many ways, knowing how special and rare they really are. Every time that they are there for me and I for them, every time we laugh or cry and talk for hours. Friends are priceless treasures. Wonderfully written poem, Tate. And I love the title. It suits this piece incredibly well.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Friendships are cherished always. Even though they may not stay the same through life, all friendships are to be cherished. Lovely poem. Beautiful song too!

Posted 13 Years Ago


I love, love, love this. It made me very happy. : ) I'm so grateful in so many ways for so many reasons. I have the best of the best in my life, and they're always there for me. This reminded me of them and how much they mean to me. Very inspiring. I love it.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is another loving beautiful piece! Loved the last lines! Music fits it too.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This tugged at my heart strings. Beautiful, melodic and relatable. ;) nice work

Posted 13 Years Ago


good message and i good poem great job!

Posted 13 Years Ago


I love this. It makes me think of my own close friends and I love the wording and imagery you used! Especially the watering the soul part.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I have been lucky throughout my life. I have many a friend who has gone above and beyond for me and would do so again. Fought to live and cheered for it all in my life with my friends. This is a fine tribute to those who are our friends, but for me they are not a shirt, but a well worn hat, that not unlike your shirt I were with pride, but my hat was with me through it all, just like a good friend.
Great Write Tate!
RLG,
Tommy


Posted 13 Years Ago


this is so sweet great job :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


wow this is wonderful work, and nicely said. It's a very touching and sweet poem, just wonderful piece.

Posted 13 Years Ago


very sweet. hopefully they read this and realize what they mean to you!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

4118 Views
100 Reviews
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on January 27, 2011
Last Updated on October 27, 2023
Tags: poetry, Life, Sad, adventure, mystery, pain, poem, romance, story

Author

Tate Morgan
Tate Morgan

Marion , OH



About
Available from Amazon XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX I am a product of the Midwest. Raised on the plain states of North America. I was nurtured on a .. more..

Writing
Pain Pain

A Poem by Tate Morgan


Memories Memories

A Poem by Tate Morgan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Broken Broken

A Poem by OT


Songs of Colour Songs of Colour

A Poem by OT