Heart of a Lion

Heart of a Lion

A Poem by Tate Morgan
"

I sent him the book to peruse in the hopes that it would cheer him To ease the blues and heal his bruise though the diagnosis was grim

"


My rendition of Drake Cooper and his dog Dodger.

His play he would be forsaking

facing the darkness we all fear

Soul aching tiny heart breaking

oh how he wished that I were near


 

The matriarch of his small clan

was ill and finally dying

It was his plan to act the man

while inside his heart was crying


 

I had finished my latest book

which I dedicated to Drake

The Ties That Bind weren’t so kind

as I heard his little heart break


 

I sent him the book to peruse

in the hopes that it would cheer him

To ease the blues and heal his bruise

though the diagnosis was grim


 

He took her my book with the note

opened it to the beginning

Where he read the quote,  I had wrote

his face all aglow and grinning


 

In the end what could any say

to this child who loves his small clan

Love whispered stay,  don't run away

to this boy forced to be a man


 

Tate



© 2018 Tate Morgan


Author's Note

Tate Morgan
Little Drakes grandmother passed away a week later and he was extremely upset. If I could do anything for him I would. He has taken it as well as any man would. But times like these we don't want him to have to be a man. We want him to live out his childhood as a boy. I can tell you the tears of a child can break the heart of any man!
This was the dedication I wrote in the front of my newest book
The Ties That Bind
I dedicate this book to Drake Cooper
A young boy of unique talent and intellect. In him I see the great handy work of the Almighty. His was the heart that once reached out to mine. When I was most alone. I will always be grateful. He bought me my first poetry album. Then inspired me to fill it with my writing. Possessed with the heart of a lion and soul of a poet. Meeting him was one of the greatest gifts I ever received. He will always be loved by me.
Tate

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review




Reviews

"The matriarch of his whole clan
was ill and finally dying
It was his plan to act the man
while inside his heart was crying"
This was an awesome stanza Tate. Firstly let me commend you on the structure and the strict rhyme scheme that really accentuates your prowess in poetry! Beautifully done!

The message is so tenderly told, your words pierce my very being with such ease and vigor. They make base and are absolutely touching! This is a brilliant tribute to Drake Cooper. I'm sure he's proud of all the writing you have managed to accrue over the years.

You are very blessed my friend!

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is good. :-)

Posted 13 Years Ago


A bittersweet poem, it's lightness belies the gravity of its subject matter. Your heartfelt sincerity and concern is carried along in each syllable, and is a testament to your character; the young man's quick ascent to the cruel heights of adulthood is lovingly conveyed herein.

The ties between a son and his mother, are some of the strongest in the world I believe. Though they may seem to harm those who share them, it is this tie between mother and son, that can lift up the soul, even in the doldrums of despair.

Once again kudos on your writing, and I hope fervently that young Drake Cooper finds some modicum of peace. If I may offer my advice, from my own experience with similar situations: Do not seek to bring things to pass in accordance with your wishes, but wish for them as they are, and you will find them so. Happiness lies in accepting the unfettered necessity of fate, there is nothing cruel in fate. Ah but I ramble, and stoicism is not for all.

So let me just say thank you and all the best,
A.E.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This was absolutely wonderful.
My favorite stanza is the 4th.


Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Jae
This was beautiful and I have to say, almost brought me to a few tears. Masterful job!

~Rem

Posted 13 Years Ago


"To this boy forced to be a man." Nice. That must be a interesting book. "The ties that Bind" Seem to have such a deeper meaning as a story. To give such great inspiration it must be good. I liked the tittle "Heart of lion" it almost reminded me of little lion man by "Mumford and sons". Anyways incredible job with description, the way it rhymed on every line, and marvelous job on a story passing on to another full of dedication of a life done. Also like the song you put the song with"Life after you" Love Daughtry. Well done can't wait for more poems. To touch heart even those of a lion.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Your poem is awesome as usual! And i love the song you have with it. I think its cool how you add that extra element. i always look forward to reading your stuff


Posted 13 Years Ago


This was really touching. I really really loved it...heart wrenching, but Beautiful...absolutely beautiful.
I think this poem shows a lot about life...
Keep up the good work...
:)

Posted 13 Years Ago


It is not through what's easy that shows our real strength, but oh what some must endure/overcome for it to be seen. Thank you for sharing this.

Posted 13 Years Ago


As always, Tate, you continue to give hope to your readers. Hope that all is not lost in the world of poetry. Where most poems are about false romance and emotions, you always decide to open your heart to your readers. This bravery is what makes your poems special. I notice this poem is more sonorous than the poems of yours that I have read before this, and the poem flows more freely as well. The conclusion, as always, packs a mighty punch. It is poems like these that make me want to write poetry.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

9329 Views
154 Reviews
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on March 30, 2011
Last Updated on November 4, 2018
Tags: poetry, Life, Sad, adventure, mystery, pain, poem, romance, story, death, Dark, heart, love

Author

Tate Morgan
Tate Morgan

Marion , OH



About
Available from Amazon XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX I am a product of the Midwest. Raised on the plain states of North America. I was nurtured on a .. more..

Writing
Pain Pain

A Poem by Tate Morgan


Memories Memories

A Poem by Tate Morgan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Songs of Colour Songs of Colour

A Poem by OT


Died On Stage Died On Stage

A Poem by OT


Pieces Of String Pieces Of String

A Poem by OT


Midnight Ink Midnight Ink

A Poem by Robin