Heart of a Lion

Heart of a Lion

A Poem by Tate Morgan
"

I sent him the book to peruse in the hopes that it would cheer him To ease the blues and heal his bruise though the diagnosis was grim

"


My rendition of Drake Cooper and his dog Dodger.

His play he would be forsaking

facing the darkness we all fear

Soul aching tiny heart breaking

oh how he wished that I were near


 

The matriarch of his small clan

was ill and finally dying

It was his plan to act the man

while inside his heart was crying


 

I had finished my latest book

which I dedicated to Drake

The Ties That Bind weren’t so kind

as I heard his little heart break


 

I sent him the book to peruse

in the hopes that it would cheer him

To ease the blues and heal his bruise

though the diagnosis was grim


 

He took her my book with the note

opened it to the beginning

Where he read the quote,  I had wrote

his face all aglow and grinning


 

In the end what could any say

to this child who loves his small clan

Love whispered stay,  don't run away

to this boy forced to be a man


 

Tate



© 2018 Tate Morgan


Author's Note

Tate Morgan
Little Drakes grandmother passed away a week later and he was extremely upset. If I could do anything for him I would. He has taken it as well as any man would. But times like these we don't want him to have to be a man. We want him to live out his childhood as a boy. I can tell you the tears of a child can break the heart of any man!
This was the dedication I wrote in the front of my newest book
The Ties That Bind
I dedicate this book to Drake Cooper
A young boy of unique talent and intellect. In him I see the great handy work of the Almighty. His was the heart that once reached out to mine. When I was most alone. I will always be grateful. He bought me my first poetry album. Then inspired me to fill it with my writing. Possessed with the heart of a lion and soul of a poet. Meeting him was one of the greatest gifts I ever received. He will always be loved by me.
Tate

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review




Reviews

And who can deny love to a heart that is true...Beautiful work here Tate...I hope this poem reaches out to the ears it was meant for...

Posted 13 Years Ago


A child can touch our hearts, they become close to us and the special bond that is made can never be broken. A special young man who is there inside your heart and the love and dedication you feel for him is shown with this poem and this is a poem that has so very much beauty. Thank you for sharing it with us my friend.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I think this is a tender piece my friend. The reality of life is sometimes harsh, and to witness a child's will to overcome can be heartbreaking at times. However, they can also be seen, and in my opinion should be seen as being priceless within their values, because of their ability to help us conceive compassion for others; they help us see things through the eyes of innocence. Children possess a different view of the world , and it sounds like Drake was there for you when you needed to see the world in a whole new light. Tate I am happy you have found this friend; inspiration can come from the youngest of people, who usually possess the biggest hearts, and if this expression of yours doesn't soften ones heart, then I don't know what would.

As for your form, what can I say other than, you are a master at this displayed verse. The rhyme, the rhythm, all flowed really well off the tongue.

Great Writing My Friend!
RLG,
Tommy



Posted 13 Years Ago


This was beautiful my friend
I really enjoyed the emotion and depth of it :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


I would agree that it is a very powerful poem. Your writing has urged me to know more about Drake Cooper.....

Thanks for sharing....

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wow ... as I said before .. you never cease to amaze me .. awesome .. both technically (the perfectly maintained rhyme) and otherwise(the material). I want to know more about Drake.
Awesome work my friend .. may glory be yours .

Posted 13 Years Ago


I am honoured to have the privilege to read this work..!!! Thank you so much..!!

This is a great effort by you to pen down all this..!!! It is simply our good deeds that pay back..Mr. Cooper is lucky to have found you and vice-versa..!!

Good Wishes..!!!

Wonderful job..!!



Posted 13 Years Ago


the last lines are very powerful, Tate. Your poem is redolent of sincere emotion as always. Some meter issues, but other than that, lovely, as usual.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is so sweet, both sad and hopeful. The rhyme didn't seem quite as smooth as on some of your other poems, but even so it was still very nice. A beautiful dedication and one very evocative of emotion. I sincerely hope the best for this boy.

Wish him happiness and good fortune for me :-)

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

9324 Views
154 Reviews
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on March 30, 2011
Last Updated on November 4, 2018
Tags: poetry, Life, Sad, adventure, mystery, pain, poem, romance, story, death, Dark, heart, love

Author

Tate Morgan
Tate Morgan

Marion , OH



About
Available from Amazon XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX I am a product of the Midwest. Raised on the plain states of North America. I was nurtured on a .. more..

Writing
Pain Pain

A Poem by Tate Morgan


Memories Memories

A Poem by Tate Morgan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Died On Stage Died On Stage

A Poem by OT


Songs of Colour Songs of Colour

A Poem by OT


Midnight Ink Midnight Ink

A Poem by Robin


Pieces Of String Pieces Of String

A Poem by OT