Why do all good things come to an end?

Why do all good things come to an end?

A Poem by Adelia Alighieri
"

Flames to dust. Lovers to friends. Why do all good things come to an end?

"

The clouds slowly maneuver away,

Leaving me helpless beneath the blue sky,

My excitement moulds into sadness,

Without an urge to try.

 

The sun dries my wings,

And smiles forth at me,

Murmurs to me my freedom,

And allows me to fly free.

 

At some distance, the albinos play my favorite tune,

I smell freshly baked buns nearby too,

I find no flaw in the world beneath me,

All seems magical and true.

 

This cannot be a dream,

Please do not let it be,

Not until I fly over the whole world,

Not until there’s nothing left for me to see.

 

There’s a wide ocean on my left,

And ever green mountains on my right,

There are clouds like cotton candy,

Which I’d love to eat in a single bite.

 

There is no hunger I can foresee,

No war that touches my vision,

It’s just happiness and ecstasy,

Not measured with precision.

 

Suddenly the sun shimmers brightly,

I feel my wings melt,

I had been tricked, my bad,

Because of the pleasure I had just felt.

 

As I wake up to face another day,

I think of the ways I could mend,

If only I had the power to bring back good times,

If only not all good things come to an end.

© 2013 Adelia Alighieri


Author's Note

Adelia Alighieri
I wrote this a long time ago, don't know why I didn't share it here in first place. Some of the rhyme is kinda immature but it works with the flow.
All yours to review. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Don't we all wonder the same?

Great insight to everyone's heart and desire.

Posted 13 Years Ago


how i wish the world be like your poem for a single day. its simple but charming. liked it! :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Beautiful words! And I believe the rhyming is just fine. Thanks for sharing this :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
OT
a very uplifting pleasant read!! the rhyme is nice and consistent - the ABCB throughout - it gives it a nice subtle rhyme (I didn't think any were immature) to carry the concept!! it all works very well! great poem!

Posted 13 Years Ago


This poem is like a morning in spring. Its fresh, its young, its innocent and naive. I loved it. The words flow with a raw and impulsive flow, its sprightly elegance easily winning against the metrical irregularities. Even the sorrow expressed in the poem has the charm of youth encompassing it, rather than the cold sobriety or black anguish, and it is so refreshing to see. Keep penning. You'll go a long way.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Poetic Voice is Announcing the first Poetic Voice Cash Prize Contest for Poetry. Awards will be given to the writers who submit for consideration the most outstanding poems within the context of Poetry and Word Art.

http://poeticvoice.ning.com/

Posted 13 Years Ago


Oh, ALL is well with the world when ALL is well with me ~ yet living in a broken world teaches us to be more thankful for the good things in life, and to humbly accept the so-called 'bad'....both teach us the mortality and vanity of what can be seen...while what is unseen is eternal and of greater value.
An uplifting write of beautiful musings !!

Posted 13 Years Ago


This has an oddly mythical feel to it, rather like the legend of Icarus, or something like that. It begs the eternal proverbial question of good and bad, black and white, love and hate - none can exist without the other, it seems, and it is unfortunate, but then could we recognise the good things without the comparison of the bad, the rough without the smooth, or the light without the dark..? No, it seems not. And that is a sad fact of human existence. It reminds me of some maxim I read somewhere once -on the back of a coaster I think it was, strangely- which went: 'all good things end badly, otherwise they wouldn't end..' But if they didn't end then that endlessness would perhaps be as monotonous as mundanity..
A mystical, and yet sad poem, inevitably so, evoking days of searing gold blocked in by coal-black days of dull darkness.

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
. it feels like all good things come to an end ... because we have stopped believing in the power of life ... that which is not valued ... over a period of time ... gets devalued ... though nature is beyond that ... even on a bad day ... a flutterby (butterfly) is beautiful ... and so is poetry ... like yours ... :) ...

Posted 13 Years Ago


I think that things come to an end so that we can fully apreciate them, icecream for breakfast every day would be a pain in the long run! great write. :)

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

528 Views
27 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 5, 2010
Last Updated on July 9, 2013


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Silly girl Silly girl

A Poem by C


Knock, Knock Knock, Knock

A Chapter by luciddreamer