A Knock Unanswered

A Knock Unanswered

A Story by Ashish

“Hey! Aren’t you the girl with the lip piercing?”

“Yes, so?”

“I just wanted to say it looked awesome. It really suits you.”

“Thank you.”

“By the way, I am Elija..”

And the alarm went off.

It’s 08:15 am. I am no longer asleep. I stay in the bed a little longer, trying to reconstruct how the dream could have carried on. How I could have talked to that girl whom I saw yesterday. But I could not think of anything. I check my phone for any messages. There are none. Maybe everybody is asleep. I leave my bed for breakfast. I am back in my room in fifteen minutes. I sit in my bed scrolling and liking the social media posts of my virtual friends and drowse off.

I am awoken by a knock on the door. It’s 12 pm. My friends ask me if I wanted to join them for lunch in a restaurant. Yes, I do have friends. But the last time I was with them in a restaurant, I was unable to connect to them. They are nice and warm people, but still I feel left out and alone amidst them. Maybe they are not my type. If I agree to go with them, would they even enjoy my company? I replied, “No, you go ahead”. I did not hear a response. Maybe I replied too late. Maybe they already left.

Sitting in my room I remembered a movie in which the character suffered from schizophrenia. Yes, maybe this is the answer. The cure to my loneliness. I surf the net searching about induced schizophrenia. All I find is its symptoms, causes and cures. There is no viable way in which I could victimize myself with it in a short time. The dim light of hope fades away into the darkness.

I wonder, in a world of more than 7 billion people, how one could be so lonely. I wonder why do I not find people who could connect to me. I wonder if there is anyone who feels as I feel. I was not like this always. I wonder what changed. Was it the new technological advent? Am I a prisoner of my own device? Or was it the frequent shifting around? I wonder why I think so much of the situations that I am not even in. I wonder what have I become.

It’s 11 pm. Another knock on the door disturbs the solemn sound of silence of my room. It is again my friends asking if I want to join them for a party tonight in a nearby club. But what would I reply if they ask me why did I not come with them for lunch. Or what if I say something silly in the club, what would they think of me then. I think I am not strong enough to face the turmoil of the outside world. I squeeze into my quilt silently replying “no” and daze off into my world, a loneliness of my own creation, as another knock goes unanswered.

© 2017 Ashish


Author's Note

Ashish
A perspective study of the story may shed some light on the state of mind of Elijah.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

story that captivates.
liked it

Posted 7 Years Ago


Ashish

7 Years Ago

thank you Apoorva :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

200 Views
1 Review
Added on February 14, 2017
Last Updated on February 14, 2017
Tags: Dark, Sad, Loneliness

Author

Ashish
Ashish

Solan, Himachal Pradesh, India



About
Novice Writer. A bit dark sense of humour. In a continuous battle with myself to decide right from wrong. What is right? What is wrong? What is anything for that matter? Should I or should I not? .. more..

Writing
I See a Dog I See a Dog

A Poem by Ashish


Was I Wrong? Was I Wrong?

A Story by Ashish