Shadows of a past

Shadows of a past

A Story by Alexander Shtraykher
"

post love story

"


   The hospital room was quiet except for the steady beeping of the heart monitor.

   Elizabeth lay there, her eyes tracing the patterns on the ceiling, lost in thought.

   Michael, her husband, sat by her bedside, his eyes full of a concern that was almost tangible. Since the accident, he had been her constant companion, his presence a soothing balm to the chaos of her recovery.
   Elizabeth’s memory of the accident was hazy, like a dream half-remembered. All she knew was the pain, the fear, and then waking up to Michael’s familiar face. He had been perfect, caring for her with a gentleness she hadn’t known he possessed. In these quiet moments, she felt their bond rekindling, a flame that had seemingly dimmed over the years reigniting.
   As Michael held her hand, Elizabeth found herself transported back to their early days, the time when everything seemed filled with promise and hope.  =

   She smiled at him, a genuine smile that spoke of gratitude and a deep-seated love. He returned the smile, but his eyes betrayed a flicker of something else, something like guilt.
   “Do you remember our trip to the lake?” Elizabeth suddenly asked, her voice soft. “You proposed to me there. It was so beautiful.”
   Michael’s face changed subtly, a mix of nostalgia and something else she couldn’t quite place. “Yes, I remember,” he said, his voice tinged with sadness.
   Elizabeth continued to reminisce, but as she spoke, a nagging feeling began to grow within her. There was something amiss, a piece of the puzzle that was eluding her grasp.
   Her gaze fell upon the small table beside her bed, where a few personal items were laid out. Among them was a simple silver frame, holding a photo of her and Michael in happier times. As she looked at the photo, her eyes were drawn to the small inscription on the frame, something she had almost forgotten. It read, “To Elizabeth, on our last anniversary.”
   The words struck her like a bolt of lightning. Memories came rushing back, overwhelming in their clarity. The arguments, the tears, the irrevocable words spoken in anger, and the final, painful signing of the divorce papers. They were no longer husband and wife; they hadn’t been for months.
   Elizabeth turned to Michael, her eyes wide with realization. “We’re divorced,” she whispered, the words feeling foreign yet true.
   Michael’s face crumpled, the mask of the devoted husband falling away to reveal the truth. “I didn’t know how to tell you,” he admitted, his voice barely audible. “After the accident, you were so fragile. I couldn’t bear to add to your pain.”
   Elizabeth felt a surge of emotions, but above all, there was a clarity that cut through the confusion. She had been living in a reconstructed illusion, a past that no longer existed.
   “Michael, you need to leave,” she said, her voice firm despite the turmoil inside her.
    He stood up, his expression one of profound sorrow. “I just wanted to protect you,” he murmured.
   “I know,” Elizabeth replied, a single tear escaping her eye. “But I need to face the truth, even if it hurts.”
   With that, Michael walked out of the room, leaving Elizabeth alone with her newfound reality. 

   As the door closed behind him, she felt a sense of loss but also a strange relief. 

   The path ahead was uncertain and daunting, yet it was hers to walk, free from the shadows of a past that was no longer hers.

© 2023 Alexander Shtraykher


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

25 Views
Added on November 15, 2023
Last Updated on November 15, 2023
Tags: love, wife, husband, memory, accident, turmoil, sorrow, divorce