Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Devian

Daylight came more slowly the following morning than anyone could remember, as if the sun was cautious about shedding its light on the lands of Eltross.  But, when the bright rays of the glowing sun did strike the land, it glimmered off of not only the three feet of snow littering the ground, but also off of the armor of a small group of soldiers�"exactly a dozen of them, dressed in steel armor from neck to toe, white hooded capes flowing from their backs, the hoods of which concealed most of their faces.  They all rode upon great war-stallions, most of the beasts a white or cream color, other than the first horse; the horse that the lead soldier rode.  That horse was black.

They were passing through the small town of Vince, the lead soldier turning his hooded head this way and that, as if constantly surveying everything.  Finally they all pulled to a stop before the main square of the town, where most of the townsfolk had gathered in hearing that a small legion of soldiers were passing through their town.

“What can we help the Royal Guard with today?” asked a short fat man, dressed in blue robes, a blue feathered hat on his head.

And indeed it was to be true that these soldiers were of the royal guard�"any fool that could see would know.  For their thick steel armor shaped very finely to mimic the male physic, their hands in black leather gloves and their feet clad in black leather war-boots.  At each of their hips hung a long sword, the blades hidden by black leather sheathes.  None of their faces could be seen through the shadow of their hoods, even though it was daybreak, for they faced west, away from the sun.

“Are you the leader of this town?” asked the lead soldier, his voice a deep rasp, almost as if he had a severe case of the croup.

“I am Townleader David Porter, yes” the short man replied, his forehead suddenly sweaty.

“Have you seen a strange man pass through here, a stranger, a peculiar man,” asked the lead soldier, “a man with blue hair and blue lips?”

The townspeople began to murmur amongst themselves, shaking their heads and quieting down, waiting for what would be said next.

“I have never heard of such a man,” the Townleader replied, looking at his flock, “have any of you good people seen such a man?”

All of the townspeople shook their heads and said that they had not.

“It appears that he is not here, then,” the soldier replied, mostly to himself, then, turning his attention toward the Townleader, “how far to the nearest town?”

“The nearest town is Idol, and by foot, someone could get there in perhaps a day, on horseback, such as yourselves, half that,” David replied.

The lead soldier turned to the nearest soldier to his left and gestured for him to come nearer.

“He was on foot, and could not have gotten any further than this town, Idol.  We will go there next.  Have the others rest for an hour, then we shall proceed,” the lead soldier spoke to the other.

The other soldier nodded and turned his horse around, raising his hand into the air and tightening his fist into a circle, all of the other soldiers silently turned around their horses and began to trot the way they had come, stopping about a hundred yards from the townspeople before dismounting their steeds.

The lead Royal Guard turned back to face the Townleader, “You shall provide food and drink for my men, then we shall be on our way.”

“Of course, anything for the men loyal to the king,” replied the other man.

The lead soldier stared at the Townleader for a few minutes before speaking again, “Are you certain that you have not seen the man of whom we seek?”

“A man with blue hair and blue lips?” the townsman answered, “I do believe I would have memory of such an odd stranger passing through.  It is winter, and we do not see many travelers during the summer season, and fewer than that during these cold days and even colder nights.  Had anyone passed through my town, I assure you, I would have knowledge of it.”

“Unless he passed through the shadows, under the shade of night and fall of snow,” the solider snarled, “and, unless you were asleep in your bed, no worries, no concerns, assured of yourself that it being winter, none would pass, none would come to threaten you and yours.”

The Townleader closed his mouth at that and stood silent.  All of the other townspeople stood where they were, silent and still as stone, listening, hoping that an altercation would not occur.  Not a soul moved for minutes, then the soldier turned his head towards the northwest.

“Is that the direction of this town, Idol?” the soldier asked.

“Indeed it is,” David answered, his voice lower than before, not as certain about his stand, about how he was responding to the soldier.

“The weather there shall be cooler, my men will need hearty food and drink,” the lead soldier replied, turning to face the other.

The Townleader gestured to the townspeople, “You heard the man, go about to your homes, bring these fine gentlemen some food and drink. I expect everyone to contribute to the king’s men, be off with you.”

The townspeople began to murmur as they walked away towards their homes, and after they had all gotten out of earshot, the man turned toward the soldier.

“Is this man you seek dangerous?”

The soldier seemed to take a deep breath, then placed his gloved hands on top one another on the horse’s neck, “Nowhere near as dangerous as we are.”

Charles awoke with a start, his heart racing and his stomach in a deep dark state.  He felt as if the cold fingers of death were reaching for him, trying to rip his soul from his body, trying to wrench him from this world into the next.  He sat up in his cot, wiping his hands over his sweaty face, his body and sheets drenched in cold sweat.  With effort, he stood up and pulled on his tunic and boots.  Dressed, he left his room, walking towards the room where the stranger spent the night.

The door was still closed, and locked.  With a grunt he pulled the key out of his breeches and unlocked the door before pushing it open.  The stranger was awake, sitting on the edge of the bed, all of his furs removed and lying on the bed.  He sat facing the open window, his back to the door.

Charles had to take in a shocked breath.  The man’s hair was bright blue, and all over his naked body the barkeeper could see blue and maroon-red spirals�"tattoos, all of them different sizes, but all of them spirals.  But perhaps one of the most interesting features was the fact that the man’s ears came to a point.  Never before had the barkeeper seen such strangeness in a man, never had he heard tale of such.

“My furs were wet,” the stranger replied, turning his head sideways but not looking at the barkeeper.  Indeed his lips were blue.  “I was hoping that I could buy from one of your local merchants some fresh dry clothes.”

Charles, catching his bearings, stepped into the room, “I am sure that there are many that would take your money, and sell you what they have, but if you wish the best of wares, I suggest you visit the lady by the name of Aierl, she will treat you fairly.”

The stranger stood and walked to the window, and Charles could see that the hair on the man’s thighs, buttocks, and legs were also blue.  It was very strange, and Charles felt as if he were standing in the presence of someone very important, and much sought after.

“I should hope not to offend you with my nakedness,” the stranger said after a moment, “where I am from, we remove clothing even when around strangers if we feel not doing so will endanger our health.”

“You have not offended me, stranger” Charles said after a few moments, “I raised and cared for two sons, and have seen many another man without clothing.  But I feel that others would not feel the same, for our peoples have different opinions of matters than I feel your people do.  If you would wish it so, stranger, I will go to town and buy clothes for you, but I shall need your measurements.”

The stranger turned, and Charles again noticed that all of his frontal hair was the same light blue, except for the curled hair above his manhood, which was a darker blue than that of the hair everywhere else.  The barkeeper also took into account that there were no tattoos at all on the man’s frontal body.

“My name is Isram,” the stranger responded, “and I would very much appreciate your offer.”

With that he walked back over to the cot and picked up his furs, as well as his boots which he sat on top of the clothes and the glove before walking to stand before Charles and handing the wet clothes for the barkeeper to take.

“I suspect there are more than enough gold coins in the breeches than are necessary to pay for a set of clothes, but whatever the cost, try and find me a pair of breeches and a tunic with the matching color of white, if you can.”

Charles nodded, “I will do what I can, Isram, but if there are no whites to be found?”

“Then deep blues or blacks will suffice,” the other replied, “I would also appreciate a new pair of boots, as well as leather gloves.  Also, if there is such a thing, a hooded cape of any color would be a pleasure as well.”

“Aierl shall have all of which you ask for,” Charles said, taking the wet furs in one hand and placing the other hand on the man’s naked shoulder, “now tell me, Isram, are you friend or foe to our town?  I need to know this before I help you in any way more than I have.”

“I am a friend to all, good man,” Isram replied, staring the barkeeper in the eyes, “but those that seek me travel under false pretenses, and are a foe to all.  It would be in your town’s best interest if you were to hurry.”

Charles could not tear his eyes away from those of Isram.  They were blue as well, but a deeper, clearer, purer blue than the man had ever seen in all his life.

“Why are you here?” Charles heard himself say.

“Please hurry,” Isram said, tearing his eyes from that of the other man and turning and walking back to face the window, “I should not wish to put your town in any more danger than I already have.”

Charles could find nothing to say, so he turned and headed out of the room and downstairs, hurrying to find some clothes for the man above.  But, even with some of his questions answered, he did not feel a bit better, in fact, he felt more scared than he had the night before.

The twelve soldiers rode forward from the town, much as they had before, the lead soldier in front on his black horse, two soldiers directly behind him, then three behind those two, then four behind those three, then two behind the four.  They appeared to have perfect stride, every horse taking a step at the same time.  They rode northwest, their backs to the sun, and the smoke from the burning town of Vince rising black against the light blue sky.

Aierl did not question Charles when he handed her the furs and told her he needed a white tunic, a pair of white breeches, some black leather boots and gloves, and also a hooded cape if she had it.  He knew that the reason the old crone did not ask questions was because news of the stranger had already spread.  She simply listened to his request, grunted, and turned and disappeared inside her home, where here wares were kept.  About five minutes later she returned with a pair of white breeches, a matching tunic, a white hooded cape, and a pair of black boots and gloves.

“All of which you ask.  But know this, white tunics and breeches are rare, and can only be found to be had by the best of merchants.  All of my wares are made of strong materials, but these are one of a kind.  These were not made by my hands, Charles; they were crafted by Them themselves.  This fabric is made of dragon silk, virtually impenetrable and impossible to wear out.  These garments are one of a kind.  You know I have never lied or exaggerated about my wares, Charles, you know what I say to be true,” Aierl said slowly, “and you know my knowledge of such things.”

“So I take that these will be expensive,” Charles responded, almost in question.

“Every gold coin that was in the breeches pocket will pay for all of it, although I’m much sure that these garments are worth much more.  But I also know that never again will I, in this small town, have someone ask for pure white to wear, and never shall I sell these unique garments for a cent more.”

“What about the hooded cape,” Charles asked, “is it made of this dragon silk as well?”

“Indeed it is,” the old crone replied, handing the garments, which were neatly folded, with the gloves and boots on top, over the counter for the man to take.

Charles took the clothes and began to walk away, but stopped and turned back to face Aierl, “Tell me, my lady, why are you surrendering your most precious wares for a stranger, whom you have not even met. And how did you come by clothes of such design?”

The old woman stood there for a moment, and closed her eyes, as if she were looking at her very soul for the answer, then, opening her eyes, she looked at him, “I came by these garments over forty-nine years ago, while traveling through a castled town that They patrolled.  A strange and very old man came up to me as I was leaving the town.  He grabbed my shoulders and said to me, ‘Take what is in this duffel bag, my lady, take it and save it until someone asks for it, and then, give it to them for whatever money they have in their pockets.  It will be much more than you will ever make selling any other wares.’

“’What is it in this bag that you wish me to sell, what is it that could mean this much to you?’ I had asked, and he looked at me and had a strange smile on his face.  ‘They are garments made of pure white dragon silk, stronger than any other material known to man.  There are no garments anywhere in the known world made like these.’  As you can imagine, I was shocked that someone would simply hand me something like this without asking a price, so I of course had to ask questions.  But to all my questions he simply looked at me and said, ‘All I wish in return is that you give me a ride in your carriage to the nearest town, and then your debt is paid.’

“So I took him to the nearest town, and when he stepped down from my carriage he handed me the duffel bag and said to me, ‘You have the wisdom and heart of a powerful woman, and I trust you and your decisions, and I know deep within that you will do with these garments as I ask.’  And, with that, he went his way and I went mine.  And that is where I have received these garments, and partly the reason I give them to you for the price that has been offered to me, but, that is not the only reason.  The other reason, I must say, is because my spirit says that this is my part in something great, my part in something that will change all of Eltross.  Never has my spirit lied to me, never have I been wrong about this mysterious innate knowledge that I sometimes receive.  Take it from me, Charles, I know that something is about to be set into motion, something that no one is expecting, something that will be great and terrible at the same time.

“Tell me, Charles, what are we now in the face of the future, except partakers in events?  I am doing this, giving what I have that is most precious to me to a stranger I have never met, that I cannot know if I trust or not, not only because nearly four decades ago I was asked to, but simply because I feel that I am partaking in the future in a way that is almost predestined.  Take these clothes to that strange man, and let him go on his way, I am content, for I know I have done the right thing, even though any other would say I have become muddled with age.”

Charles took in what she said and nodded, turning around and walking towards his tavern and home to give the strangest man he had ever seen possibly the most perfectly designed clothes that have ever been crafted.

Isram had taken the garments without question about his gold coins, and had dressed silently, and, only once he had pulled on his breeches, tunic, gloves, and boots did he walk out of his room, the hooded cape draped over his elbow.

“I would like to thank you, my friend, for what you have done for me, it is a kindness that most would not show,” Isram told Charles, placing a gloved hand on Charles’ shoulder and squeezing slightly, “and forever will I be thankful to you and your town.”

Charles nodded and met the other man’s eyes, “I only ask that wherever you are going, that whatever you are doing, that you be safe about it.”

The other man nodded and threw on his cape, pulling the hood close about his face before walking past Charles and out of the tavern.  Charles had a feeling that he would never see the man again.

            Isram made his way through town with fewer looks than would have been expected, and only when he had left the town did he remove the hood from his face.  He headed due east, towards the rising sun.  He felt as if something awaited him in that direction, what he did not know, but, he had a feeling, something.

Noon came, and the soldiers reached the town of Idol.  And, just as the townspeople of Vince before them had done, all of the townspeople, including Ivan, and Charles, and all the other men at the tavern the night before, were waiting in the town square.  And, just as before, the soldiers did not stop until they were in the town square, the leader in front.

“We have just passed through the small town of Vince,” the lead soldier replied, not awaiting a response from the Townleader, who was an old woman�"indeed it was Aierl�"but simply getting his point across.  “We seek a man, a strange and peculiar man with blue hair and blue lips, he is undoubtedly hard to miss, and very hard to forget.”

“We have seen no such man,” Aierl said, taking a few steps forward, peering up at the soldier mounted on his black steed, “and if you are here to search for him, do so quickly, and leave just as quickly, we have important town matters to attend to.”

The soldier was silent for a few minutes, then, “Do you dare to speak to members of the Royal Guard in such a fashion, old woman?”

“I speak to whomever I choose, however I choose,” she responded, pointing her finger at him, “and I feel that you mean us no good, that you only have darkness in your heart.  Look for the man you seek, then leave this place, there is nothing for you, or the king, here.”

He was silent for what seemed an eternity, then he dismounted his horse and walked before Aierl, standing so close to her that they were almost touching. And, with one quick motion he removed his hood, so that she could see his face.  He was an attractive man, no older than twenty, his long black hair touching his shoulders.  His face was handsome; his features unmarred by any scars or blemishes, his eyes were chocolate brown, and did not seem to harbor any madness that the old woman could see.

“I am Vertonius Latchus, Captain of the Royal Guard, and I demand answers.  You will tell me what I want to know and you will tell me now,” he snarled at her.

She was unmoved, “I have told you, now be on your way.”

Vertonius grabbed her throat with speed faster than that of a cat, and squeezed, leaning his face in closely to hers, “Which direction did he go, woman?”

Many of the townsmen rushed forward, but stopped in their tracks as the other eleven soldiers unsheathed their swords and indicated the women and children.

“Tell me what I want to know,” Vertonius continued, his hot breath on Aierl’s face, “and I shall leave your town without shedding blood.  Defy me any longer and I will have every single man, woman, and child lying on the ground bleeding and dead before I burn this entire damned town to the soil it was erected upon.”

Aierl looked at her people and nodded.  Vertonius released his grip, but did not back away.

“I do not know where he went,” she said softly, “but he did pass through here.  That is all I know.  He left soon after dawn, if you wish to catch him quickly you will not have time to kill all of us and burn our town to ash; but, that all depends on how badly you seek this man, and for what reason.”

Vertonius stared at her for a moment then turned on his heels, placing his hood back over his face and mounting his horse, “Know this, people of Idol, you came very close to death this day.  But, the old woman is right; your lives are spared because time is short.  Tell your children about this day; remind them that this was the day the Royal Guard showed mercy to traitors,” he looked at Aierl, “and remind them that they should not follow in your footsteps, because it is only foolishness.”

With that the soldiers turned and left the town as it was when they arrived.  Once outside the town, Vertonius looked towards the east and seemed to stare in that direction for a very long time.  Then he turned to face his soldiers.

“Return to Grail, and await me there.  I know where Isram is going now; I can see his path as clearly as he can.  There is only one place for a stranded Elf to go, this far up north.  I will handle this problem myself.  Ride back to Grail, and await my return."

The soldiers turned without a word and rode south.  Vertonius went east.



© 2012 Devian


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

138 Views
Added on January 5, 2012
Last Updated on January 5, 2012


Author

Devian
Devian

AL



About
I am just your average 22 year old fantasy writer, although I can write in many more genres than fantasy, it is my passion. And, as any writer or poet knows, you must live in your passion. more..

Writing
Fighter Fighter

A Poem by Devian


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Devian


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Devian