Detour

Detour

A Story by atomic_sparrow
"

A random story about a woman in the Australian bush.

"

Josephine stood dumbfounded in front of a signpost on a bumpy country lane. She reached up to her face, adjusting her square spectacles to make sure she was reading the notice in front of her correctly:

'Due to the construction of the new Blackberry mine, starting on the 10th of December and continuing until said mine is finished, estimated mid July 1926, next year, the Wattle Highway is closed to all civilians. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.'

 

Josephine ran her hands, already laced heavily with sweat, through her braided hair, moaning deeply at her predicament. Josephine Portman, known as Jo to her friends, had been on her way to her family's annual Christmas party, which was being held at her mother's house this year. She had woken up early in the morning to get herself ready, so she could leave home in the early hours of the morning and arrive at her mother's house just after the sun had risen.

 

Jo had cleaned herself thoroughly, put her hair in French braids and put her best party dress on (white with red ribbons and a red bow around her waist.) She had made a 'Great Aussie' breakfast for her husband Harold, who was not coming ("I can't be bothered with such things Josephine.")

 

Jo had left the farmhouse at five o'clock and walked through three fields containing sheep, only to find her route blocked. Frustrated, she swore loudly to herself. Cautiously she looked around, making sure no one had heard her, but there was no one around, except for a small koala high in a gum tree.

 

Jo felt immediately embarrassed, she knew that if her mother or Harold ever heard her use such language she would be in a lot of trouble. But she couldn't help it; she had no visible way to getting to her family's annual Christmas Party. Jo knew that the sun would rise soon, bringing with it a harsh Australian outback day and therefore the harsh Australian outback heat, so travelling anywhere would be hard. Jo wanted to be at the party an hour before it started (it started at 7 o'clock) to help her mother set up.

 

Thinking hard about her predicament, Jo resolved that she would have to find an alternate route to the party. Perhaps she could cut across old Mr. Whitley's cornfield, she thought to herself. No, that would not be possible, as Jo knew that Mr. Whitley was a frightfully unstable man who would probably chase her off his property with a shovel.

 

Anxiously, Jo began searching her surroundings for a possible route. She looked ahead to her left and right, but could not see any possible avenue for transport.

 

Just when she was about to give up, Jo noticed a gap in the bushland. Curiously she approached it, her shoes making light crunching noises on the bumpy dirt road as she went. When she reached the gap, she saw that there was a narrow pathway, stretching ahead of her into the bushland like a snake. On either side of the small path was thick impenetrable bushland, shrouded in darkness by the thick canopy.

 

Considering her situation carefully, Jo knew that this was her only way to the Christmas party. So she began to head along the narrow path, taking care not to snag her pretty dress on any branches. It was a tight fit and she had to bend down because some of the tree branches fell quite low.

 

As Jo continued down the path she became wary about the noises she was hearing. All around her Jo could hear the sounds of various animals, which were growling, chirping, howling and even squeaking. Feeling nervous, Jo tried to master herself as she made her way through the miniature jungle surrounding her.

 

Jo was forced to bend down as the path dipped slightly and the tree branches fell even lower in front of her. Nervously, she proceeded through the vegetation that was now protruding out onto the pathway itself. The trees were covered in dark leaves, which Jo supposed would shield the eventual sunlight from the lower bushland.

 

The lower bushes and trees were all of a different breed, some sported bright colourful flowers, while others stretched out with spiky thorns threatening to block Jo's way. This, she realised was not normal Australian bushland. Although Jo was unnerved by the unfamiliarity of her surroundings, she knew by the general direction of the path, that it was heading towards her mother's house. After a few minutes, Jo was able to straighten up and walk comfortably along the pathway.

 

After what felt like hours walking along the apparently endless pathway, Jo noticed that the sun was rising. Even though the canopy was obscuring the sky, rays of sun shone through the trees, which made the vegetation look magical. All around her, the shining rays of sunlight randomly illuminated flowers, vines and tree trunks. Memorised, Jo found the result breathtaking. The entire bushland looked like some magical fairyland, the rays of sun made the morning dew sparkle like glitter.  Jo got her first look at the animals, none of which were frightened; they were all scampering about like little children playing a wonderful game.

 

Enraptured by the enchanting forest, Jo took her time to examine every interesting plant and beautiful tree. After a few wondrous minutes, she abandoned all pretence and begun to skip down the path, her brown hair coming loose from her French braids and following behind her. Every part of the forest was heaven to her; she could lose herself in its enchanting beauty.

 

After a while, she flopped down in the base of a large tree, with enormous roots stretching in all directions. Jo was so tired, she worked hard every day and she had to practically feed Harold his meals. Jo didn’t care about any of her obligations, the Christmas party, Harold or her mother. So, Jo simply went to sleep, there at the base of the tree.

 

She must have been asleep for ages, because when she awoke it looked to be noon or even later. Slightly abashed, Jo got up and made her way through the bushland towards her mother’s house. Without looking back, Jo stumbled out of the bushland and across a dirty road, in the direction of her mother’s house, which she could see in the distance.

 

One look told her that something was wrong; her mother was talking with about three police officers, looking very grave indeed. To Jo’s utmost shock, Harold was there! He was wearing his farming overalls, with a navy blue t-shirt, looking undeniably miserable. Jo was also confused by the lack of family members. Hadn’t anyone else come for the party? She wondered peculiarly.

 

But Jo didn’t have time to be confused, when her mother and Harold spotted her they both rushed over and hugged her so hard she nearly fell over. The policemen hurried over as well, looking quite astonished.

“Mother, Harold, please!” Jo said, extracting herself from their combined vice-like grips. “I am only a few hours late for the Christmas party.” Jo said exasperatedly.

 

The next thing Jo’s mother said made her pass out, right there on the lawn.

“Josephine, the Christmas party was six months ago!”

© 2008 atomic_sparrow


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

180 Views
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 17, 2008

Author

atomic_sparrow
atomic_sparrow

Australia



About
The sparrow is generally friendly in all seasons, though can be shy and secretive sometimes. Found in both urban and rural areas the sparrow can be very territorial and protective. Although not a wate.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by atomic_sparrow