Chapter 4: The Joys of Sharpie Markers

Chapter 4: The Joys of Sharpie Markers

A Chapter by A. L. Allen

The rest of the school day ticked by slowly, painfully, and I couldn’t wait to get on the bus that would send me back to my Aunt’s house. It was amazing to me that it could seem like such a heaven-on-Earth now.  I didn’t see Tanner for the rest of the day, and I was getting really worried about him. There was no way that Chad could’ve inflicted so much painful and lasting damage with one punch.

When the release bell finally rang, I was the first one out the door. I made my way to where the buses came to pick the students up, and then realized I could just walk home. I could see the house from this point, and walking was such a better alternative than riding with a bus-load of strangers. I began my lonely trek, wincing slightly as a bitter wind picked up and stung my bruised and tattered face.

I could hear footsteps running up behind me, and I immediately stiffened in dread. I knew for certain that it was Butch; coming to pay me back for breaking his nose. I kept walking, hoping that he would think I was someone else. A hand grabbed my shoulder.

“Hey.” A girl panted “Would you wait up please? I want to talk to you.”

I whirled around and found myself staring at the girl I had seen with the jocks at the beginning of school. Her eyes stared back at me with concern “Are you okay?” She asked.

I stood there opening and closing my mouth silently, unsure of what to say. “I’m fine.” I finally managed to force out.

“What about your friend? The tall guy with the beanie?”

“I don’t know.” I admitted “He disappeared after lunch.” I turned and began walking again, desperate for an excuse to get away from the awkward situation.

 She fell into step beside me. “Do you mind if I walk with you? My house isn’t too far away.”

I looked at her in consternation “Aren’t you the quarter-back’s girl?” I asked pointedly.

Her features hardened “No. He’d like to think so though.”

I raised my eyebrow “It looks to me like you’re kind of leading him on.” I cringed inwardly. What was I thinking? This girl was obviously trying to be my friend, but I was pushing her away! Why couldn’t I learn to just shut up?

She stared down at the ground as it passed by under us and scuffed her shoe on the cement. “Well, I guess I kind of was his girl at first.”

I didn’t say anything, choosing to let her continue on her own.

“My parents won’t let me date until I’m sixteen, so he just kind of paraded me around and let everyone assume that we were an ‘item’.” She sighed “But then, I realized that he was really just a pretty face. All he cares about is football and hanging out with the popular crowd; his brain’s full of hot air. I’ve wanted to just walk away, but I’ve gotten into the habit of him leading me around, and it’s really hard to break it.”

We walked in silence for a minute, and then she said “You know what’s weird? I’ve only known you for the past five minutes, and already I’m telling you something that no one else knows about me.”

That kind of creeped me out, but at the same time I was sort of flattered.

                “So… um… what’s your name?” I asked awkwardly.

                “Oh, I’m sorry.” She gasped sheepishly “My name’s Lexi.” She stuck out her hand.

                “I’m Spencer” I said, taking her extended hand and shaking it.

                “So, Spencer, how long have you been here?” She asked me.

                “A couple days.” I said with a shrug.

                “Really? Where do you live?”

I stopped and pointed out my Aunt’s house to her.

“Huh.” She mused “I only live a couple houses away. I wonder why I didn’t see any moving trucks.”

“Oh, uh…” I began, my face turning slightly red “I just moved in. I live with my Aunt.”

“Oh. Are your parents out of the country?” She inquired.

My face turned a deeper shade of red “No, actually, my parents were killed in a gang war. They were driving home from Mexico and got caught in the middle of it.”

Lexi’s hands flew to her mouth in horror “Oh my gosh Spencer, I am so sorry! I shouldn’t have asked…”

I waved my hand dismissively “It’s alright.” I told her. “I know one of your deep, dark secrets, and now you know one of mine.”

“But, that’s not the same…” She protested.

“Really,” I argued “It’s okay. Surprisingly, I don’t mind telling you.”

She smiled a little at that. “What do you think of school?” She asked, moving the conversation away from deep waters.

“It’s okay.” I shrugged “The classes aren’t my favorite, especially the “Let’s Beat Up Spencer and Tanner” club during lunch; but for the most part I guess it’s alright.” I tried to joke around about the lunch episode, but Lexi’s face darkened.

“I’m sorry about what happened at lunch. Todd knew that you and Tanner were the one’s getting beaten up, but he pretends not to notice if his brother’s the one doing the beating.” She told me grimly.

I assumed Todd was the quarter-back.  I shrugged again “Don’t worry about it; it wasn’t your fault. I think it was mostly this thing’s fault.” I shook my pink back-pack, and she giggled.

“Well, I can’t change your classes, but I can help you with your back-pack.” She said

I glanced at her, and she smiled at me. I smiled sheepishly “Would your parents mind terribly if you came over and helped me with the back-pack now? I really don’t want to have to go back to school with it like this.”

She nodded “My parents work during the day, so they won’t be back until five or six. I’d be happy to come over and help you out.”

“Great!”

We had just reached my front porch, and I went to open the front door. It was locked. Thinking that my little cousins had locked me out, I pounded on the door, hoping someone would answer. There was silence for a moment, and then a tiny face slammed into the window by the door, smooshing itself on the window pain and pulling gruesome faces at me.

“Meet my charming cousin.” I said sarcastically to Lexi, gesturing to the window.

Lexi laughed out loud and the obnoxious little twerp started blowing rasberries on the glass.

I banged on the door. “Let us in!”

My cousin laughed scornfully and shook her head. Some of her brothers and sisters were starting to gather around her, and they joined in on the mockery, laughing and pointing. I huffed exasperatedly. I could’ve sworn that these kids were actually evil demons trapped inside tiny bodies.

I turned to Lexi, who was trying her absolute hardest not to laugh, but failing miserably. “I’m really sorry.” I began “Maybe you could come…” Just then, the front door opened and my Aunt stood there, looking much more haggard than usual.

“You’re late.” She snapped.

“Uh…” I glanced over at Lexi meaningfully “I’d like you to meet Lexi. She’s a friend from school; and she’s going to be helping me with a, um, project.” I didn’t mention the fact that the “project” was writing on my back-pack with Sharpie markers. She might take it as vandalism or some sign of blooming delinquency.

My Aunt raised an eyebrow, but graciously extended her hand “Nice to meet you Lexi.” She said with a slight trace of warmth.

“Um… hello.” Lexi responded tentatively as she shook the proffered hand. I could tell that she had no idea what to think of my Aunt.

“Why don’t you wait in the living room for a second, Lexi.” My Aunt suggested “I need to talk to Spencer for a moment.”

Lexi nodded and maneuvered her way into the door, past all of my little cousins that were staring wide-eyed at her.

My Aunt stepped out onto the front porch and shut the door behind her before turning to me with an extremely stern look on her face. “Listen to me, young man.” She said crisply “I don’t mind if you have this Lexi girl over; but I don’t want any funny business, is that understood?”

My forehead crinkled in confusion “Wha…?” I began, but then I realized what she was implying. My face turned beet red “Ewww!!!” I protested indignantly “Eww, eww, ewwwww!!!!! No! I would never… Why would you say something like that?”

She shrugged before asking “Do I have your promise?”

I stared at her like she was insane for a minute before replying “Yes! Yech!” I hurried inside before she could embarrass me even more.   

Lexi was waiting for me by the foot of the stairs, looking uncomfortable as my cousins continued to stare. As soon as she saw me she perked up. “You ready?” She asked brightly.

“Yup.” I replied, still slightly grossed out by my Aunt’s twisted mind.

Lexi stepped aside. “Lead the way.” She said, sweeping her arm elaborately towards the stairs and bowing deeply. I scoffed and rolled my eyes before tromping up the stairs; Lexi following after me. As soon as we entered my room, she took a step back.

“Woah.” She commented. “White. You know, I didn’t quite picture you as a minimalist.”

“I’m not.” I told her “But my aunt seems to think so.”

She laughed. “Maybe after we’re done with your back-pack, we can get to work on your room.”

I smiled “Woah, slow down thar Bessie” I said with an exaggerated Southern drawl “One project at a time.”

She chuckled “Fine. Do you have the Sharpies?”

I bit my lip and screwed my forehead in thought “I know I have them somewhere. Let me just take a look; I think they may be in my closet.” I got up and walked into my closet, rummaging through the various boxes that still needed to be unpacked.

“Do you play?” I heard Lexi ask through the door. I poked my head out and saw her looking at my guitar, the one my dad had given me for my last birthday.

I shrugged “A little. Why?”

“No reason. I just think the guitar is a really cool instrument.”

I smiled slightly, my cheeks turning a little pink. “Um, thanks.” I mumbled before going back to my task.

“Ah-hah!” I cried out in triumph as I pulled the lid off another box. I reached in and pulled out a container of colored Sharpies. “I found them!”

“Great! Now get out here so we can get started.”

“My goodness you’re pushy.” I commented dryly as I sat down next to her on the floor, dragging my disgusting back-pack closer to us.

She shrugged “Hey, you were the one that asked me to do this. It’s your own fault.” She smiled coyly.

I sighed long-sufferingly “Alright I suppose I’ll have to live with it.”

“You got that right.” She said as she snatched some colors out of the container and got down to work.

I don’t know how long it took us to completely eradicate the unicorns and rainbows, but I know that five o’clock came up way too fast. It was so easy to talk to Lexi, and I immediately found myself caught up in a flurry of random conversations that got us both laughing. It was probably the best time I had had in the past month and a half. Lexi was just fun to be around; and it may sound really weird, but I couldn’t help smiling every time I looked at her.

When five-o’clock rolled around, I walked her home, not quite ready to be left alone just yet.

“See you tomorrow Spencer!” She said cheerily as she opened her front door.

“Alrighty.” I responded.

She smiled and closed the door.

As I walked home, I whistled a tunelessly with a smile on my face. Life seemed to be going my way, for once.  



© 2012 A. L. Allen


Author's Note

A. L. Allen
I like the beginning of this chapter, but I'm not so sure about the ending. Does it seem a little abrupt? If it does, please, let me know! :)

Also, what do you think of Lexi?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is AMAZING :D It doesn't sound abrupt at all.
Thankyouthankyou!!!!
I really loved it! Lexi sounds really cool :)

Can't wait to know what happens next!

(Sorry for the late review, btw. WC wasn't loading D:::)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Great chapter!


Posted 12 Years Ago


I really need to get to work. This was an amazing chapter. Hm, I still can't say much on Lexi's character but she seems alright. Bright and Bubbly. Seeming something unusual in a character is lovely too~

Love Spencer.
I have a cousin with the name Spencer. So this is amusing to read.

*100*

Well-written.
Extremely.


Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

317 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 24, 2012
Last Updated on February 24, 2012


Author

A. L. Allen
A. L. Allen

Logan , UT



About
Welcome! I have had a lifetime passion for writing. I started when my father introduced me to the wonders of Microsoft Word on a dinosaur of a computer, and haven't stopped since. I have attempted .. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by A. L. Allen



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Chase The Chase

A Chapter by A. L. Allen


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by A. L. Allen