Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Unexpected Friends

Unexpected Friends

A Chapter by Aut Middleton

            I don’t want to get up, let alone open my eyes. Damn it, I went to the bar last night just to get a little drink �" not get plastered. Ugh, I really need to cool it on the vodka. In the back of my head I feel the beginnings of a massive hangover, I sigh. “Oh hello old friend I didn’t miss ya at all, so go away,” I say out loud as though my hangover is an actual person that will get up and leave. Pathetic.

As I lay there rubbing my temples I start to try and remember what happened last night. Hmm… Oh right. I made a new friend and her name is Olivia. She’s really pretty and makes me feel like crap. But she’s really nice and kinda awkward. Surprisingly. So I guess that makes up for the me feeling like crap part. Man I need to get some self-confidence, I absentmindedly think.

 

“Okay” I say out loud at an attempt to stay focused.  So I went to the bar and met Olivia, I bought us some shots… and, that’s where it gets blurry. Not surprising. I’ve been in this same situation more times than I care to admit.

Well, I guess I should get up and start my morning routine; I take a quick glance at my bedside clock, erm afternoon routine I guess.  As I get up I can’t help but take a look into the mirror. “Man, drinking makes me look like s**t.” I say out loud. “Smeared mascara and wild auburn hair, real classy, Emma.” I hear Marnie say. Just a quick side note �" Marnie is what I named the little voice in my head.  Though I don’t know whither she’s my concisions or a tumor, what I do know is that she is one annoying b***h. “Shut up. At least I didn’t have to take the walk of shame back to my apartment.” No response. Good. Focusing back on myself I see a tall and skinny girl with pale white skin. Awkward looking is an understatement. I sigh. I really am content with the way I look. Sure I would change a few minor things, but what girl wouldn’t?  

 

Feeling the presence of my hangover resurfacing, I decide to head to the kitchen to make some coffee. I grab my favorite mug out of the cabinet- It features a picture of Taylor Swift and I at a Star Bucks two years ago. I fan girled and asked Taylor if I could have a picture; I loved it so much I made it into mug. Best day of my life. I love my coffee sweet, so I add a s**t ton of sugar and a little cream, just the way I like it. Suddenly needing some fresh air, I walk out of the kitchen with my coffee mug, grab my cigarettes from the table and head to the back balcony. There, I sit in a lawn chair looking out at the city. I’m about 15 to 20 minutes from down town, it’s nice and quite here but I can still see my favorite city perfectly.  After taking a few puffs from my cigarette, I lean back, close my eyes, and try to think again.

 

Hmm…

 

***

 

Last night

Okay, Olivia. You have to lick the salt off your hand, take the shot, then suck on the lemon.”

“And why would I do that?” She questions.

“It’s a drinking game its fun, do it.”

I watch her as she does the steps I told her. Her face turns sour as she sucks the lemon, which makes me crack up. I don’t know how long we end up drinking, talking, laughing; you know doing all the typical drunk girl activities. I haven’t had this much fun in so long. And I’m having it at the same old bar I come to all the time, go figure. Note to self: It really is about the people you surround yourself with.

I go to stand up and almost completely wipe out.

“S**t!” I yell.

“Emma you should probably stop drinking”

“Hey you just met me, you don’t know my limits!” Though she is right; I should of stopped three drinks ago.

“Lets go pick a song,” I say jumping up.

We make are way to the jukebox, swaying with every step, it takes all I have to not face plant on the floor- that’s when you know you’re feeling good. Finally making it I lean on it for support. I start pondering over the selection with my hazy vision, my eyes suddenly locking on to one song in particular.

“That one!”

“That one!” we scream in unison.

“What!” I practically scream in her face. “You like Elton John?”

She puts money in the machine and selects the song “Don’t Go Breaking’ My Heart is my go to karaoke song”

I hear the song start playing and a surge of excitement races through me. “I can’t believe it, it’s mine too.”

We start singing the song and dancing along. I hear whistles and cheers from some of the people in the crowd which just urges me on. I sing Elton John’s lines and Olivia sings Kiki Dee’s parts. I swear (to me) it sounded like heavens angles were singing out of my mouth. I could have cried I thought I sounded so beautiful. 

After that we reside in a booth for a while, trying to calm down and not puke.

Suddenly Olivia breaks the silence. “It feels so nice to just hang out and have fun with someone you doesn’t know Me.” she says more to her self more so than me.

As she speaks I lay my head on the table to feel the coolness of the metal. “Yeah Olivia, I know what you mean. All my friends are real s**t heads who don’t even like me that much.” I confess.

“Why?”

“I don’t know.”

“Why are they your friends?”

“I- I don’t know.”

We sit in silence for a few minutes. Me pondering my life, her probably thinking about when she can get away from the crazy whirlwind that is me.

She pulls out her phone “S**t” she says, “Its 3A.M. and I have to work in the morning.”

Yep I was right. “On a Sunday?” I question.

“Yeah we have a lot of scenes to get through, it’s a 7 A.M. call.”

“Scenes?”  I question again.

Totally ignoring me questions, she says “Hey Emma wanna share a cab with me?”

Share a cab? Oh well maybe she doesn’t want to get away from me, I think that’d be a first. “Sure” I smile.

 

***

 

I hear a fly buzzing around my head, which initially wakes me up. “Huh” I sigh. When did I fall asleep? All I know is my head is killing me and last night was… bizarre; I can’t believe I haven’t throw up. Lighting up another cigarette it dawns on me. S**t, I have to go pick up my car. Making my way back in the house, I get dressed in record time, just throwing on some blue jeans and an over sized flannel shirt. This’ll have to do for now I think. I go get my phone to call a cab and I notice a text. The text is from an unknown number, which could only really mean one person. Olivia. The text reads

 

“Had a great time last night, Emma. Can’t wait to hang out again. �"Olivia.”

 

I think my mouth actually hits the floor. “Well s**t, you actually made a friend.” I hear Marnie say. I don’t even argue. Have I made a friend? I mean I have friends. But I mean like an actual friend that likes me, and wants to hang out with me purely because she just thinks I’m cool? I should probably stop looking so much into this; I’m being a big lame-o. But seriously, this has to be a first.

 

“Stage On Bar, please!” I yell as I enter the cab. As I’m sitting waiting to arrive, I suddenly remember something from last night. I remember getting in the cab with Olivia, still drunk off our Asses of course, we get to the first stop and Olivia asks for my number. Then we hug and promise to hang out again. Then… Nothing. All black. So I’m assuming that’s when I got to my place, stumbled all the way up to the seventh floor, and passed the f**k out. As the cab pulls up to the bar I see my car. I sigh a breath of relief. “Thank god it didn’t get towed!” I yell happily. I practically throw the money at the cab driver and race to my car. I have a 2006 maroon Honda Element. Originally my moms, but she gave it to me as a graduation/ going away present. She’s my old reliable; we’ve been everywhere together. I would cry if she got impounded. Opening the door I get hit with the sweet smell of my Sea Island cotton air fresher. “Mm.” I moan at the smell. Putting on my ray bans, start up the car and start to back up when suddenly someone knocks on my window. I turn my head, my own hair wiping me in the face; I’m met with big prepossessing hazel eyes. Oh no… I think. I know these eyes. I could pick them out of a crowd anywhere. Russell.

My mouth goes dry. “Son of a b***h!” I hear Marnie scream. He makes a motion at me to roll down the window.  As I’m rolling it down he cracks a huge smile that could melt any heart of stone- except mine.

“Well if it isn’t Emma Morris.”

I raise my eyebrow at him. “Yes and what do we have here? Could it be Russell Ellis? In the flesh.” My hands grip the steering wheel so hard my knuckles turn ghost white. “What’s it been, three or four years now?” I say unenthusiastically.

“Aw come on Em, don’t be like that.” He cockily says.

“Don’t try and be cute Russell, what are you doing here?”

“So you think I’m still cute?”

“I didn’t say that”

“Yeah, you kinda did.”

 

You stupid f**k, I scowl at myself. Note to self: Learn to be cool. Also, I really need to work on my word game. 

 

“Ha-Ha. Okay seriously, what are you doing back in Nashville?” I question. “And how did you find me here?”

“I was thinking’ about ya Em. And I was at the bar last night” He confesses.

 

All I can do is stare at him, mostly because I think my brain has went into shock. Even Marnie is unusually quite. My grip on the steering wheel finally loosens but they make their way straight to my head to rub my temples.

 

“You looked like you were having fun so I left you alone. But I knew you’d come back for your car eventually.” He says, as he shrugs his shoulders, not able to look at me.

“Oh” Is all I can muster.

“Have dinner with me tonight Emma.”

 

What? S**t. I don’t need �" want to go down this road again. I need an excuse, and fast. “I can’t. I, uh…” Suddenly I remember Olivia and I hatch a plan.

 

“I have plans tonight.”

His expression changes to a look of hurt. Huh? That’s different. “Oh yeah? Well who is he?” He asks clearly annoyed.

“It’s a she actually.” I say with a crooked grin.

“Wait, what? You gay now?” He asks surprised.

I laugh. “No Russell. I’m going out with my girlfriend. Uh, my friend that is a girl I mean.”

“Oh the girl you were with last night?”

“Yeah that one.”

 

There’s a moment of silence between us. I start fiddling with the radio when he finally breaks the silence.

“At least take my number.” He proceeds to pull out a piece of paper and a pen from his pockets and scribbles his number down. I take the paper from him and as I do the tips of our fingers touch and a swirl of memories come flooding back to me.

Tears threaten my eyes. “Okay Russell, I have to go now.” As I say this he backs away. He makes a phone signal with his hand and puts it up to his ear. “Please.” He says. I pull out and drive away as fast as I can. 



© 2015 Aut Middleton


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

42 Views
Added on June 8, 2015
Last Updated on June 8, 2015


Author

Aut Middleton
Aut Middleton

KY



About
Wanna-be writer more..

Writing
Olivia Olivia

A Chapter by Aut Middleton