Chapter 5

Chapter 5

A Chapter by Emma Olsen

I shake my head as I follow Beth, turning away from the clearing. I’m thrown by Iifa’s smile. Why would she smile like that at me? I was the only one to turn around, so does she expect me to say something? Or was she just trying to freak one of us out? I bite my lip, which throbs a complaint.

The room we’ve entered is gigantic, dim, and empty. Now that we’re all inside, the door is sliding to a close behind us, seemingly by itself. Beth and I slow to a stop, though Hombre and Alyssa inch further into the building.

I hear Hombre mutter, “There’s no one here. Why isn’t anyone here?”

I see Alyssa turn to look at him, frowning. “Shouldn’t you know?”

He ignores her, stepping further into the room as his head swivels around, searching for a hint of life.

Alyssa lets out a little huff of frustration.

Hombre’s right. I look around, but I can’t see a soul. Beth’s grip has tightened again. I wince, but don’t say anything. I’m pretty sure I have bruises there, now, but, in between my raw lip, throbbing legs, and my sweat-drenched body, I’m a mess, anyways.

The room looks as though it’s been carved by hand by someone with patience and great skill. A statue of a woman fills the room, and the size of her only highlights how massive this place really is. Hombre, now examining her, only comes up to her foot. I have to tilt my head back to take her in, and I realize that she’s standing like I am, with her face to the sky, except that her arms are spread wide. Her long hair cascades down behind her, wavy and unruly, and her skin is covered with words, as if someone’s used her as a page. A dragon twists down from the ceiling to greet her, their faces so close they might actually meet. Its tail touches her chest, over the heart, but it seems like a gentle gesture. The dragon’s wings stretch the whole length of the ceiling, blending into the architecture so that it seems as if the room’s been built around the statues. I frown as I examine the dragon. I can’t help but think it looks similar to the one on my bracelet. I want to compare them, but considering how intent Hombre was, before, about me hiding it . . . well, I probably should just leave it in my bra.

I turn my eyes to the rest of the room, instead. A balcony stretches the perimeter, though the only access seems to be stairs far on the other side of the room. The lighting is slightly better over there, revealing a stairway that continues up behind the balcony, curling along the outer wall of the building, and railings underneath it which indicate that another set of stairs leads below. I shift. Are people waiting on another floor? Are we supposed to find them?

Beth, next to me, whispers, “My mother paid a lot of money to get a floor like that in the master bathroom.”

I blink, distracted by her assertion. “What?” I ask.

“The floor. You didn’t notice it?”

I look down to see what she’s talking about. The floor is an abstraction of variously-hued green tiles, with the occasional lemon or gold mixed in. I frown. The colors remind me of Hombre’s eyes when they changed color in the clearing. I glance over his way, but he’s scanning the balconies, his mouth frowning, but his brow set with determination.

Alyssa’s still shooting him glares, and I can’t help but wonder if she’s right to not trust him. Every detail seems to prompt some new question and some strange connection.

“Carmen?” Beth asks, her eyebrows drawing together, “Did you hear me? Are you alright?”

“Yeah, sorry. The floor’s nice.” Her grip has loosens a bit as she considers me, and I give her a smile to reassure her. She doesn’t really seem that frightened, anymore. I think she’s just forgotten that she’s holding onto me.

I’m about to disengage her fingers when I spot movement near the edge of my vision. I turn my head, but there’s nothing there, just shadows. I squint, but the strips of light running up the pillars only let off a dull light, which lights up the center of the room but leaves the balconies dark. I can’t help but feel nervous, my teeth grabbing onto my sore lip in an effort to calm me down.

“Anyone here?” Hombre yells. He’s tense, now, his eyes darting around. He must’ve seen that movement, too. Alyssa wraps her arms around herself, looking uncomfortable.

“Carmen,” Beth whispers, her brow furrowed as she takes a small, hesitant step forward, her hand releasing me completely, now, “I swear I just saw something by the staircase.”

“Maybe . . . maybe it’s just the lights or something.”

Beth laughs, nervously, “Yeah, that’s what they say in a scary movie before someone dies.”

Alyssa looks at her and snaps, nervous, “Don’t talk like that, Beth.”

Beth falls silent.

Another shadow doesn’t stick to its place correctly, this time up on the balcony. I stare at it, but I can’t make out anything. I have an unnerving feeling that the hall is much more populated than it appears.

“Hello?” Alyssa squeaks. She clears her throat and repeats, in a normal voice, “Hello?” When I look at her, her face is calm, but I think she’s faking it. I can see her fingers start to dance on her arms, still wrapped around her.

“Maybe no one’s here,” I offer, though I’m not quite convinced.

“Someone opened the door,” Hombre immediately responds, frowning.

I stare at him, “Wow, alright, I was just trying to calm us down.”

He looks back at me, blinking, “Oops. Sorry.”

We all just stare at him. Beth attempts to repress a shiver and fails miserably.

Hombre shakes his head, “Well, let’s face facts. We can’t go back now, so what do you guys think? Up or down?”

“Shouldn’t you know?” Alyssa asks, glaring at him, “You’re the one who told us to come here.”

He frowns, “Calm down, I didn’t get exact directions, alright? It doesn’t work like that.”

She looks like she’s about to kill him.

He sighs, “Alright, I’ll decide, then. Let’s go down.”

He starts forward, but before any of the rest of us can move, he stops, brow furrowing. Footsteps echo out through the hall as someone descends the stairs. Now both of Beth’s hands reach out to grab me as she lets out a small, nervous squeak that immediately hides itself in the echoes from above. The hair on the back of my neck rises and I quickly rub at it, trying to convince my body to not show how freaked out I am. In front of me, I see Alyssa’s eyes dart to the statue, and she shifts, as if she’s considering hiding behind it. Really, Hombre’s the only one of us who seems able to compose himself, as he draws himself up, narrows his eyes, and waits patiently for the owner of the footsteps to materialize.

It’s not long before a man comes into view from the stairway leading above us. As he crosses the balcony and starts down the stairs, there’s no question, either, that he’s approaching us. His gait is precise and determined, but easy �" confident. There’s something magnetic about him, really. It’s hard to look away, only getting harder as his steps allow me to better make him out. He has a wary, sharp look to him, though he’s dressed casually in a jacket, the shirt underneath partially unbuttoned. There’s something dangerous about him, as if he could kill us right here, right now, no second thoughts.

“Wow,” Beth lets go of me completely to adjust her clothes and hair as she breathes, “He’s gorgeous.”

She’s right. He has a strong jawline and high cheekbones, and his skin’s pale and smooth. His eyes sweep from one of us to the next, and a nervous lump forms in my throat when they land on me and then linger. The intensity of his gaze doesn’t just come from the color of his eyes, a piercing steel-grey, but also from the way he stares �" as if he can see through me. I give the man a nervous smile and his right eyebrow lifts a bit. His eyes finally move back to Beth, and then Hombre, as he slows and then halts a little ways before us.

“Stand down,” he says.

I frown and glance at Beth, but she stares back at me, just as confused.

There’s rustling from above and beside us as men and women emerge from the shadows, lining the balcony and the perimeter of the hall. They’re all the same height, the same weight, and dressed entirely in black, like they were all ordered from the same factory. None of them make a sound. Even though I can now see that the room is full of people, the place still feels empty. I shiver and try to pass it off as being cold, rubbing my arms unconvincingly.

The man smiles, and it lights up his face. He’s not just attractive, he’s bewitching. I shift, uncomfortable. It’s almost unnatural how much he draws my eye, especially since I’m usually uninterested. Beth is the one who’s comfortable with guys, but even she seems to be acting a bit over the top, arching her back and giving him a pretty and composed little smile. Alyssa’s beaming, too, which is pretty rare.

“I suppose there’s more to this interaction than an introduction.” His voice echoes out through the hall and I blink and turn to look at him. He catches my eyes for a moment, but looks away as he continues, “Such as some explanations, for instance.”

Hombre’s eyes are roving the guards. He frowns as he asks, conversational, “You have a lot of guards here to welcome us. Is that normal?”

The man shifts, “Depends on what qualifies as ‘normal.’ Normally, no one comes through these doors. Normally, no one travels through the forest with so little provisions. And normally, I am the one who asks questions.”

Hombre’s eyes snap back to him and he frowns. He crosses his arms defensively and shifts closer to us. The movement reassures me a bit. Even if he’s keeping secrets, it seems like he’s still on our side.

The man sighs, observing our silence with some irritation, “I don’t have much time, I’m afraid, so I need to be brusque. Who are you? Have I made a mistake letting you in?”

Beth, Alyssa, and I look to Darien, who notices our gaze and pauses a moment before saying: “We were told that you could help us.” Well, at least he’s not just evasive with us.

“Help with what?” The man presses, another hint of annoyance flickering across his sculpted features.

Hombre hesitates, evaluating him. I look at Alyssa and Beth, wondering if one of us should say something. Oddly enough, it’s Alyssa who catches my eye and shakes her head, apparently trusting Hombre to deal with the situation. Surprising move.

The man glares at Hombre, “I can’t help you unless I know what to help you with. You seem to be cautious, but please realize you haven’t gained my trust, either.”

Hombre hesitates a moment longer and then, finally, responds, “We’re just seeking shelter.”

“Just shelter? How can I be sure you aren’t a threat?”

“Do we look dangerous?”

The man considers us, each of us, for a few seconds. His eyes land on me again and I feel awkward and nervous, as I’m still drenched in sweat and my hair and clothes are sticking to me. I don’t normally care too much about what I look like, but somehow he makes me feel self-conscious. I resist the urge to mess with my hair, which I’m positive looks awful, and give him an innocent smile instead. His brows furrow and he stares at me. I’m not sure whether he’s trying to intimidate me or not, but I hold his gaze, nervous, thinking that it might look suspicious if I break it. My father always told us he could tell someone was lying if they looked away. I remember his rough hand grabbing my chin when I was ten and after I’d asked if my mother was ever going to come back.

“No, Carmen,” he’d said with a thick voice, a hint of tequila on his breath, “Your mother is selfish. She’s cruel. She betrayed all of us and she’s never coming back. You think I’m lying? See how my eyes never leave yours. A liar doesn’t dare to see what his lie does.”

I maintain my smile as this stranger in this massive hall stares at me and I wonder, vaguely, if he’s capable of the same transformations my father underwent: drunk disaster by night, clean-shaven businessman by day.

The man finally turns away, his face expressionless, and says, over his shoulder, “Eva, show them to quarters.” He focuses on Hombre, now, “We will be posting a guard on you until I have more time to validate your claims. Though you don’t appear dangerous, I know from experience that appearances are not always a guarantee.” His eyes sweep over us as he continues, “I am Ki, Highest Order, placed in command of the military efforts of this tower. As long as you show respect for our laws and customs, we will respect your rights. Eva, as one of our legal advisors, will provide you with documentation. Should you prove to be wanted by the Evenen authority, you will face your crimes. If you wish, still, to be sheltered by us under these conditions, then I must witness your acquiescence.”

He looks at us expectantly, and we all murmur agreement. His name is Ki? I guess this must be who Iifa was talking about . . . I wonder if we hadn’t agreed what would’ve happened.

He gives us a small smile, “It seems this was a much simpler matter than I anticipated, then. I welcome you to the Philosopher’s Tower.” He turns and leaves the way he came, crossing the hall to the balcony and then disappearing up the stairs. I release a breath, sort of glad that he’s gone. As I look at the guards, still manning the perimeter, I notice how enraptured they seem by him, too. I chew my lip. I’ve never met anyone who commanded such attention. Is this what it’s like to meet a movie star?

Hombre looks back at us and then raises his eyebrows, “Are you guys alright?”

“Fantastic,” Beth says with a happy sigh.

“Ugh,” Alyssa says, her lip curling up as she looks at her, “You sound like a creep.”

Beth raises her eyebrows and considers the words for a moment before grinning and responding, “Thanks.”

Hombre frowns, and his eyes lock onto mine for a moment before he hurriedly turns away. The guards have begun to move, now that Ki’s out of sight. A few go to stand at posts at the stairway and the entrance, and a few others begin patrols in the shadows. In total, only about twenty seem to be on duty and the rest head towards the stairs. Most of them begin filing down rather than up. They’re quiet, but it’s not the silence of it being a command, more of a preference they’ve become accustomed to. They don’t talk, and their heavy boots hardly make a sound.

“Did I do that?” Beth asks and I look at her and then follow her gaze down to the hand-shaped bruises on my arm.

“Don’t worry about it,” I tell her.

She frowns, chastising me, “You should’ve said something. I would’ve let go. I’m sorry, Carmen.”

“I said, don’t worry about it. All that’s really bothering me is how thirsty I am.”

“Maybe you should ask her for some water,” Alyssa says, nodding behind me.

I turn to see a woman approaching us, along with a group of six guards. While they keep their hoods up, concealing their faces, she pulls hers off. One of her brown eyes is covered by a lens, which flashes with tiny white text and images, but she doesn’t seem to pay it any mind, her serious gaze locked on us. Her tight-fitting black clothes are the same as the others, with a utility belt, full of various gadgets that might be weapons, and a plain, stiff vest. Her hair is pulled back into a tight bun, and on her shoulder is perched a black box, who knows what for. She has a black tassel on her chest, along with a few pins, and I notice that she’s not only the only one of the soldiers with a black tassel, but she’s also got the most pins placed next to it. Interestingly, none of the pins shine, and I assume it’s another way of making sure they can all disappear into the shadows as they did before.

She stops in front of us and nods, “I am Eva. I will be your guide and legal counselor. Considering the low influx of refugees and the situation in the area, we will need to question you further in private before we can give you your paperwork and approve movement around the city without an escort.”

Paperwork? The last thing I was expecting to do here was paperwork. I look over at Hombre, who seems to be only half listening as his eyes dart around the room. I wonder if he’s looking for clues about the portal he mentioned. I can’t help but think it might be awhile before we can reach it.

I clear my throat, “Do you have any water?”

Eva looks to one of her guards and they hand her a flask. She gives it to me and I take a nervous sip. When it tastes like water, I down it in big gulps. As soon as I finish, Beth grabs it from me, and then Alyssa from her. She passes it, awkwardly, to Hombre, who takes a few sips before returning it to Eva. By now, the room is almost fully clear.

“Follow me,” Eva orders, and marches forward, toward the stairway leading further down into the tower. Beth and I fall in behind her, Alyssa, and then Hombre, behind us. The guards wall us in as we’re funneled across the huge room and descend down the stairs.



© 2014 Emma Olsen


Author's Note

Emma Olsen
Thanks for any critiques!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Hi and thanks. I'm liking the story. I remain interested in your characters and I'm interested in their world.
The recommendations: This chapter has a great deal of description. Great! Sci-fi and fantasy have got to have that in order to bring the reader into the world being created. So I would recommend that you edit for passive voice and decrease the adverbs. example:"I look behind the statues to see a large stairway which leads up to a balcony, stretching the perimeter of the room." (don't mean to impose my stuff here. Just an idea) Behind the statue is a stairway leading up to a balcony. It stretches the perimeter of the room. The reason I removed ""I look behind the statues to see a large stairway. . . " is because that took me out of the room, it didn't let me experience the size of the room etc. it 'told me. and it told me what she was doing?' It also told me that the stairway that" stretched the perimeter" of this "gigantic" room was only large. I think large isn't needed.
It sounds like this room could hold a small town or neighborhood. Or maybe large enough to fly a plane into, etc. But "gigantic"? Gigantic is only a word with no experience attached to it.
"The man at the desk has a key in no time, which he hands to her with a nervous smile, his eyes darting to the guards."(again not trying to impose my words.) The man at the desk handed her the key, his eyes darting to the guards then back. or 'his lips trembled into a smile.' I now know he is nervous. I know he is uncomfortable. Your character is still informing me but now she has made me experience it. By making me experience it I begin to care about her and her friends and the world she is in and I begin to be concerned about the foreshadowing from the previous chapter. (Good effect with the foreshadowing by the way. I was busy wanting them to run faster that it was a few seconds after reading it is I was struck by it)
Thanks again
Nonnye
You have made me want to care about your characters and want to care about their world.


This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Emma Olsen

10 Years Ago

Thank you! I'll look over it to see what I can edit. I know this chapter has been a problem area in .. read more



Reviews

Hi and thanks. I'm liking the story. I remain interested in your characters and I'm interested in their world.
The recommendations: This chapter has a great deal of description. Great! Sci-fi and fantasy have got to have that in order to bring the reader into the world being created. So I would recommend that you edit for passive voice and decrease the adverbs. example:"I look behind the statues to see a large stairway which leads up to a balcony, stretching the perimeter of the room." (don't mean to impose my stuff here. Just an idea) Behind the statue is a stairway leading up to a balcony. It stretches the perimeter of the room. The reason I removed ""I look behind the statues to see a large stairway. . . " is because that took me out of the room, it didn't let me experience the size of the room etc. it 'told me. and it told me what she was doing?' It also told me that the stairway that" stretched the perimeter" of this "gigantic" room was only large. I think large isn't needed.
It sounds like this room could hold a small town or neighborhood. Or maybe large enough to fly a plane into, etc. But "gigantic"? Gigantic is only a word with no experience attached to it.
"The man at the desk has a key in no time, which he hands to her with a nervous smile, his eyes darting to the guards."(again not trying to impose my words.) The man at the desk handed her the key, his eyes darting to the guards then back. or 'his lips trembled into a smile.' I now know he is nervous. I know he is uncomfortable. Your character is still informing me but now she has made me experience it. By making me experience it I begin to care about her and her friends and the world she is in and I begin to be concerned about the foreshadowing from the previous chapter. (Good effect with the foreshadowing by the way. I was busy wanting them to run faster that it was a few seconds after reading it is I was struck by it)
Thanks again
Nonnye
You have made me want to care about your characters and want to care about their world.


This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Emma Olsen

10 Years Ago

Thank you! I'll look over it to see what I can edit. I know this chapter has been a problem area in .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

221 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 28, 2014
Last Updated on May 29, 2014
Tags: Emma Olsen Olson The Other Breed


Author

Emma Olsen
Emma Olsen

Pittsburgh, PA



About
PLEASE don't waste my time if you're going to get defensive. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE I am begging you. I promise you that I will say things that will help you (I mean, most of my reviews are around 25-30.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Emma Olsen


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Emma Olsen