The Return

The Return

A Chapter by ~AmateurWriter

The Return
 
            The moon hung low in the sky casting a silver glow shinning off of the still-wet street. The crescent moon that hung around my neck shone the same color as the one in the sky. The howling of a nearby dog reminded me of a movie scene. But my life was no movie. Unless it was horror, that is.
            “Lucas?” I could hear her footsteps getting closer as she whispered my name. I stepped into the shadows, hiding. But she was getting closer still and I couldn’t risk her finding me. So I retreated farther into the dark, secluded alleyway.
            I glanced up at the dark, star splattered sky and was momentarily distracted by the moon’s beauty. But my attention snapped back when I heard the sound of her footsteps getting closer. I backed up farther but she just followed.
            “Lucas,” she said. It was only a whisper but it sounded so clear in my ears. She stepped into the alleyway enough for me to see her. The silver of the moon reflected off of her pale blue eyes, giving them an almost eerie effect. She stared at me, and I stared—longingly—back at her.
            The love of my life stood before me and all I wanted to do was run. “Brenna,” I breathed. She stepped forward, towards me and I took a step back. “Stop.” My words came out sharply and she stood there, her blue eyes staring right through me.
            I could hear the blood rushing through her veins, feel her heart beating. Her loving stare burned a hole through my heart, yet I retreated farther away from her. And then I ran. I ran for both of our lives, needing to put as much space between us as possible. “Lucas!” she cried after me. I ignored the searing pain in my heart and ran faster, listening only to the sounds of my feet hitting pavement.
            It seemed the farther away I was from her, the bigger the hole in my heart got. I kept running, trying to protect Brenna from myself. And then it felt like my heart was torn in half. I was used to physical pain but not this—not emotional pain.
            Nothing mattered anymore. Just protecting me and the one I loved—Brenna Ackerman.
            I slowed my pace when I was sure that Brenna was far, far away. “Lucas!” What was with everyone calling my name? I turned around to see my uncle glaring at me. “What are you doing out here at this time of night?” he asked sharply.
            “I—I was just—I don’t know,” I stammered. He roughly grabbed my arm and pulled me aside. I wasn’t fully aware of where I was but I slowly took in my surroundings.
            I had ended up outside of my uncle’s apartment. “Don’t tell me you were out seeing that human girl again,” Uncle hissed.
“I wasn’t,” I lied, “Can’t a guy go for a walk without being harassed?”
He rolled his eyes and said, “Get inside.” I listened and went straight to my room.
            I walked over to my bed, not bothering to turn the lights on. I had had a long night and it felt good to lie down. Though I had joked and smiled in front of my uncle, I was still miserable inside. I had been avoiding Brenna for days but had never actually run away from her. She must have felt the same as I did.
            Hurt.
   Upset. But I would soon get over her…right? I pushed the thoughts of her away. That was the last thing I needed.
I was supposed to be forgetting her so that’s what I would do. Lying in bed, with my hands behind my head, I stared at the ceiling.
Finally, after what seemed like days, I fell asleep.
 
I woke up sweating and threw the covers off of myself. I knew I’d eventually fall asleep, but I didn’t think I’d actually dream about her. In my dream, we were in the middle of a forest and Brenna had been kidnapped by a masked stranger and was screaming at me to help her.
I’d wanted to run after her and rescue her but instead I had run the other way. And then the dream had ended abruptly and I woke up. I really needed to stop taking late night walks.
But, then again, there were lots of things I needed to do that I didn’t. I got up and slipped on a black t-shirt and jeans. I peeked out of the navy blue curtains that hung over my windows, glad that my windows were tinted because the sky was bright and I quickly looked away.
It wasn’t even that the sky was bright from the sun—it wasn’t. It was a bright gray-white color. It reminded me of the way Brenna’s eyes looked last night, when the moon had shone on them, making the pale blue color of her eyes look almost silver.
But that wasn’t a good thing. Everyone knew that only vampire’s had silver eyes. Well every vampire knew, that is.
No, that definitely wasn’t a good thing.
I wouldn’t let myself think of what Brenna would be like as a vampire. Actually, I shouldn’t have been thinking about her at all. I wondered how I had managed to fit Brenna into every topic that I thought about. Maybe I wasn’t really in love with her.
Maybe she even thought I was some creepy stalker. I sounded more obsessed than in love. But I guessed that those were just of effects of a love sick seventeen-year-old.
But, maybe Brenna was as obsessed as I was. Maybe—wait. What was I doing?
I was arguing, babbling, and having conversation with myself. Maybe I was an obsessed creepy stalker. “Lucas!” my uncle called from downstairs.
I was glad for a distraction from my crazy mind babble. “Coming, Uncle,” I responded. I ran down the stairs and smelled bacon right away. The sweet, sweet smell of bacon.
My aunt Lillianna was in the kitchen, making eggs and bacon. Even in a night gown and robe, she managed to look beautiful and elegant. She had angelic looks and soft blonde hair.
Lillianna carried herself with such a confidence that it made me seem mediocre. And that was saying something. But I guess that’s what most vampire princesses are like.
Okay, I know what you’re thinking. Vampire princess? How cliché is that? But all legends come from somewhere, right?
I swept her my best bow. She laughed and I smiled. Uncle Tristan came up behind her and put an arm around her waist. They kissed and I looked away. “Oh, will you two get a room?” I joked.
“We’d be happy to,” Uncle said. I knew what it was like to be in love but you don’t see me putting it on display.
“In that case, I’ll see you later,” I said, walking to the door.
“Don’t you want some breakfast, Lucas?” Lillianna called. I grabbed a handful of bacon and left.
The cold wind wrapped itself around me and I regretted not bringing a coat. But I was not going back in that house to watch my aunt and uncle making out. I had lived with them my whole life and they were like my parents but I didn’t watch my parents make-out either.
Even though it wasn’t really an option in the first place, since they had died when I was a baby. Maybe I should’ve been sad but the truth was that I couldn’t really be. I mean, of course it was a tragedy that they had died but I never knew them. It was a shame that I had never known and would never know my own parents.
Not that it mattered anyway. There wasn’t anything I could do about that. “Lucas!” I heard someone call my name. For what—the fiftieth time in two days? I felt like everyone was calling my name for some odd reason.
I turned to find Elise right in front of me. She was my sister and—unfortunately—I had to live with her. “What?” I exclaimed.
“Whoa, slow your role there, Cowboy. I’m just saying hi,” she said.
No matter how much it pained me to admit it, we were exactly alike. We were both sarcastic and had the same sense of humor. We both had black hair and gray eyes. Everyone said we looked alike with our high cheekbones and dark hair.
Elise loved that she was Romanian and agreed that it was ridiculously cliché since we were vampires. From Romania. Sighing, I shook my head at her. “What do you want?” I asked.
“Where are mom and dad?” she asked. I hated when she called Uncle Tristan and Aunt Lillianna mom and dad. Even though we both considered them to be our parents, they weren’t.
“Dead,” I said flatly, “I thought we established this seventeen years ago.” Now, it was her turn to shake her head at me.
“Lillianna and Tristan, if you insist,” she replied.
“Inside, but I wouldn’t go in there,” I warned.
“Ew. Don’t tell me they’re being all couple-y again,” Elise said. She tended to make up her own words like “couple-y” sometimes. I nodded and she groaned but turned the way she’d come from, no doubt staying at one of her friend’s houses.
I found it humorous how my big sister could find a place to go and had friends whereas I just stood on the sidewalk, not knowing what to do. But, I was glad that Brenna didn’t live near me. That might have been a disaster.
The wind blew my dark hair in a whirl around my face. The cold was really starting to get on my nerves. I started to walk off to the right and then thought better and walked the other way.
The way I was walking was the opposite of where I usually went which was by Brenna’s house. I thumped the heel of my palm to my forehead, knowing I wasn’t supposed to be thinking about her. I stared straight ahead, not really seeing anything around me. So it wasn’t until I heard my name—for what, the 7th time?—being whispered that I saw.
I saw the blood as I walked behind a brick building. There was a bloody trail leaking down the pavement in a smeared line into an alley.
An alley where my name was being whispered from.
“Lucas,” the person repeated. It was a girl’s voice and I cautiously followed it. Slowly, I made my way into—yet another—alleyway.
“Who’s there?” I asked quietly.
The trail stopped and I looked up from the ground, finding myself staring into familiar gray eyes. “Holly?” I asked, surprised. Holly was Elise’s best friend. I stared at her as she sat on the ground, covered in blood.
I was just about to ask her what was with the blood—even though we were vampires—when she whispered, “Hunters.” My body tensed and my eyes darted around the alley.
“I killed them,” she said, “Don’t worry.”
“How many were there?”
“Just two.”
I kneeled in front of her and said, “Are you okay?” She nodded and I took her hand and helped her up, feeling bad that she had to kill the Hunters alone.
Hunters were the crazy Vampire Hunters who thought that they could kill us with stakes, garlic, crosses, and the sun. But, no, they can’t. What they don’t know is that they can kill us with—wait for it—guns and knives. Actually, they can kill us with anything they can kill humans with.
Well, not all vampires are like this. Only the mortal kinds of vampires can be killed like humans. The immortal kinds of vampires can be staked. But the Hunters don’t know this. They think we are all the same.
But that’s just another thing they don’t know.
Mortal vampires and immortal vampires are enemies. The immortals kill our kind of vampires. So these so called ‘hunters’ are hunting the wrong kind of vampires. Even though I suppose they want to kill us all since the one thing all vampires have in common is sucking blood.
Human blood.

 

 

 



© 2009 ~AmateurWriter


Author's Note

~AmateurWriter
What do you think of dialogue? ignore grammar problems, plz

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

So he is mortal. Eats food. Sleeps. And drinks blood.
Oh and you have them been hunted.
Its like your going old school Vampire with the Stakes and Garlic. I like it. Its intresting.
Very diffrent from the other Vampire story's I have read lately. You added your own twists into it.
All up a great write.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wowie...that was amazing...i love it so far
Great Job

Posted 14 Years Ago


So he is mortal. Eats food. Sleeps. And drinks blood.
Oh and you have them been hunted.
Its like your going old school Vampire with the Stakes and Garlic. I like it. Its intresting.
Very diffrent from the other Vampire story's I have read lately. You added your own twists into it.
All up a great write.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

good i totally love it!

Posted 14 Years Ago


It was lovely! ^^ I instantly fell in love with the maqin character. Very descriptive. You paint such interesting pictures! Not to mention I LOVE Vampire stories! Heh heh. ;) Wonderfully written. ^^

Zai is LovE

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is really good! I love this!!

Posted 14 Years Ago


I think your a fastastic writer:] I will be sure to be reading your other chapters. Like Arc Moore said it does seem to be a bit rushed, but you can fix it with no problem. Overall I really enjoyed reading it. It was very different and unique.
example-
"Mortal vampires and immortal vampires are enemies. The immortals kill our kind of vampire"
Woww :]


Great job
BrittneyMarie

Posted 15 Years Ago


I enjoy reading your writing, Lia.

The writing of this novel is creative. And original. Oh. You're magnificent master at the art of dialogue. Many people make the sayings sound like something straight out of a Jane Austen novel. But you make this seem both realistic and fictional simutaneously. That's unlike any writer I've ever read before.

Like all writers, you do need just a little bit of work. For some particular reason, this passage seems a bit . . . well, rushed? Why not add a small amount of detail every here and there. When the protoganist is hidden in the alleyway, you should give a description of the sky. Was it scattered with clouds? Cloud-less? Were there many stars? No stars?

Your characters---unlike many people's--are well thought-out and all too real. Extroardinary job on this, I think. Showing how Lilianne carried herself, her figure, etc., etc., is very nice. Very nice indeed, Lia. You've discovered yourself and your gift as a writer. I encourage you to keep going. Defintely.

Excuse me for my spelling.

Arc Moore:::...

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Beautiful author websites
Stop wasting time and money on Wix & Wordpress. Authors are creating beautiful websites with Myauthor.space FREE!
Know That I Too
We are never alone (a poem for mental health month)

Stats

570 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 29, 2009
Last Updated on October 6, 2009


Author

~AmateurWriter
~AmateurWriter

NC



About
The name's Aliyah[Lia]. I'm fifteen & a sophomore in high school. I'm an aspiring author. I love to read, write, draw, and do things that teens do. Check out my stuff :) Don't click here! Thing.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..