Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by ~AmateurWriter
"

opinions?

"

 

Prologue

 

It was a miserable day that day. The clouds were gray and dominated the sky. I held on tight to Annabelle’s small hand. My eyes followed the identical houses that lined the streets for miles. They were all tan and made of smooth artificial material resembling concrete. Patches of real-looking artificial grass surrounded every house.

“Why is it so foggy?” she asked, tightening the straps on her backpack and gripping the stuffed bunny she held in her free hand.

“It’s just a rainy day,” I told her.

Her mouth broke into a smile and she started to sing. “Rain, rain, go away"”

“Annie, please be quiet,” I begged, shushing her. Annabelle’s mouth closed and turned into a frown. I knew she’d wanted to sing but They were watching. They were always watching. My suspicion was confirmed as I glanced up at the silver watchtowers that stood tall among the houses and buildings of Sector four.

Suddenly, sirens wailed and red lights flashed, coloring the tan houses and perfectly paved streets. All of Them in their watchtowers stood, red eyes scanning the streets. Annabelle started screaming. I tried to shush her but she just cried instead of quieting all together.

In the distance, there were gun shots and loud crashes. I had no idea what was going on and the fog was closing in on us. It was impossible to see ten feet in front of me.

“Annie, don’t let go of my hand,” I ordered and started to run straight, toward home. A light cut through the fog as we ran down the sidewalk and shone on us.

“Stop! We will take you somewhere safe. Turn around and you won’t be hurt,” boomed an emotionless monotone.  But I kept running, pulling Annabelle along.

Through the fog, I could make out glowing red eyes in front of us. We ran across the street, and I tried to find another way to get home. It stopped us when we tried to run. Annabelle screamed.

The rest happened so fast I could barely grasp it.

I felt the absence of her hand, heard her screams. The fog seemed to clear a little and I could see Their smooth, white bodies all around us. I reached for her, yelling obscenities at Them. “Annie!” I screamed. She was thrashing against It but she was no match against Its iron grip.

Another one was holding me back, telling me to calm down. But they had my sister. My world was finally ending. Maybe they’ll kill me, I thought. But if I’m dead, I can’t save her.

The one holding Annabelle took out a long and thick needle. “No! Annie!” I screamed at the top of my lungs. But the needle sunk into her neck and she went limp. The screaming and thrashing stopped. I watched in horror as her stuffed bunny slipped out of her fingers and to the ground.

I stopped fighting"stopped moving all together. Annie was gone. The robots"They"had taken her from me. They’d killed her.

I slumped to the ground in Its arms, giving up on life.

Then I thought better of it and straightened up.

They’d taken her life. And I’d take all of theirs.



© 2010 ~AmateurWriter


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

189 Views
Added on October 14, 2009
Last Updated on July 26, 2010


Author

~AmateurWriter
~AmateurWriter

NC



About
The name's Aliyah[Lia]. I'm fifteen & a sophomore in high school. I'm an aspiring author. I love to read, write, draw, and do things that teens do. Check out my stuff :) Don't click here! Thing.. more..

Writing