Sounds of Hearts

Sounds of Hearts

A Story by Azurel

 

Ting-a-ling a-ling...

 

Ting-a-ling...

 

...

 

It's Mommy's music box. Susie loves to hear the sweet sounds of it very much, and so does Daddy. It has been there for a very long time, long before Susie was born. Daddy garnitures it in a beautiful little wooden cabinet, behind the clock stalls so that everyone can see it. But despite being there for so long, no one has ever asked Daddy or Susie what it is for, or why it is there. Susie and Daddy are not surprised at all. Instead, there are always snug evenings when Susie rests her head in Daddy's lap, and they both listen to the sweet melodies of the music box. Daddy always tells her stories about Mommy with a affectionate gaze. Therefore, Susie never feels like Mommy has gone away.

 

***

 

Tick-tock, tick-tock...

 

One day comes an old man. He comes to take his daughters’s watch and sees the music box. Susie doesn’t know what they talked, but Daddy seems strange after the man left. He keeps wandering in his room all night. In her bed, Susie looks at the lit room, then to the calendar.

 

Tomorrow is March 5th.

 

Mommy’s birthday.

 

For the first time, the music box will play the special song that Susie never listens to before.


 

***



That old man returns. Daddy tries to conceal when giving him the watch. The man looks at Daddy for a moment before leaving. Suddenly Daddy slowly opens the cabinet, takes out the precious music box and gazes at it for a long time. Then he runs towards the man and gives him. The old man can barely say, he just looks at Daddy gratefully.

 

Back to their store, Susie waits until Daddy steps inside. Seeing his little girl, Daddy asks.

 

“Well sweetheart, why don’t you say something?”

 

Susie doesn’t speak. Daddy sighs and sits next to her.

 

“Susie?”

“Yes Daddy”.

“If… I just say if, Mommy were not here with us anymore, what would you think?”

 

Daddy always surprises Susie. He can make a mobile mouse with just a piece of wood and some gears, or a jumping pumpkin in Halloween. All for Susie. But this time, Susie has surprised her dad. She says calmly.

 

“What are you talking about? Mommy is always here” and points to their Hearts. Susie doesn’t know why Daddy gave away Mommy’s gift, but she knows the old man does need it, and Daddy always did right. Daddy stops for a few second, then laughs and gives Susie a big hug.

 

“Thank you, my dear! Thank you!”

 

***


 

Happy Birthday. I love you, Mom!

 

 

And that’s the special song of the music box.

© 2014 Azurel


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I did not quite understand the story. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the writer deliberately omitted events and conversation for the sake of adding mystery, or thinking that the reader is very sophisticated and will understand it easily. Please, check out my writing and provide me with a feedback. Best wishes.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

461 Views
1 Review
Added on April 29, 2014
Last Updated on April 29, 2014

Author

Azurel
Azurel

Tomoe Gakuen, Vietnam, Vietnam



About
A wanderer in the world of stories an life. more..

Writing
Unseen Lights Unseen Lights

A Poem by Azurel


Written Heart Written Heart

A Story by Azurel