"Famous People in Luxembourg in 1880's" Balmoral International Group

"Famous People in Luxembourg in 1880's" Balmoral International Group

A Story by balmoralintgroup
"

Balmoral International Group History Blog is your one-stop source of all things about the rich history of Luxembourg.

"

Luxembourg is not only famous for its historical spots and tourists destination. The city has undergone great experiences and has been a witness to great historical events through the years. Its people have contributed a great deal to the fame Luxembourg is garnering right now all over the world.

Balmoral International Group Luxembourg listed some of the most famous men who made Luxembourg one of the most important places in the map.

 

Arts and Culture

 

Pierre Brandebourg

Pierre Paul Brandebourg, also Peter Brandenbourg (1824-1878) was a Luxembourg painter and photographer. He was the first to open a photographic studio in the city of Luxembourg.

 

Although he was recognized as a very competent artist, with his painting of men at work on the harbor of Antwerp or the steel factories of Luxembourg, it was not enough to earn him a living. He then proceeded with photography and popularized “chez Brandebourg”, a way of taking a portrait with great composition and lighting.

 

Brandebourg died in 1878 at his home on Avenue Amélie in Luxembourg. Most of his paintings and photographs are still privately owned.

 

Claus Cito

 

Nicolas Joseph “Claus” Cito (may 26, 1882 �" October 15, 1965) was a famous sculptor. His famous work is the Gëlle Fra, a lady of Nike, the goddess of freedom, standing on an obelisk which was erected for the men who served the Allied Powers during the World War II.

 

His work can also be found at the Notre-Dame Cathedral, Luxembourg. Cito was a cofounder of the Luxembourg secession movement in 1926 which promoted Expressionism. He exhibited at the first salon in 1927.

 

Su Mei Tse

 

Born in 1973, Sui Mei Tse is a Luxembourgish musician, artist and photographer. Her work combines video, installion, photography and music. In 2003, she received the Golden Lions Award at the Venice Biennale for best participation for her exhibition “Air Conditioned”.

 

Born with a Chinese father, a violinist and an English mother, a pianist, Tse’s work is the result of a constantly shifting combination of photography, video, and objects in which sound, rhythm and music play an important part. Her early works include La Marionnette (1999) where her performance on the cello is continually interrupted by the puppet strings attached to her limbs, creating a new composition. In Das wohltemperierte Klavier (2001), the music is ruined by the splints bandaged to the player’s fingers.

 

Inventions

 

Henri Tudor

 

Henri Owen Tudor (30 September 1859 �" 31 May 1928) was a Luxembourgish engineerinventor, and industrialist. He developed the first practical lead-acid battery in 1886 almost 30 years after Gaston Planté, a French physicist invented the lead-acid battery in 1859.

 

Gabriel Lippmann

 

Jonas Ferdinand Gabriel Lippmann (16 August 1845 �" 13 July 1921) was a famous Franco-Luxembourgish physicist and inventor, and Nobel laureate in physics for his method of reproducing colours photographically based on the phenomenon of interference. His work has contributed much in today’s photography.

 

Balmoral International Group recognizes and salutes all these noble men who have made history bearing the heartbeat of a true Luxembourger.

© 2015 balmoralintgroup


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

405 Views
Added on March 4, 2015
Last Updated on March 4, 2015
Tags: balmoralinternationalgroupluxemb, balmoralinternationalgroup, luxembourg

Author

balmoralintgroup
balmoralintgroup

Luxembourg, France



About
Balmoral International Group History Blog is your one-stop source of all things about the rich history of Luxembourg. We blog about the past and modern culture, historic places and other things that p.. more..

Writing