"Famous People in Luxembourg from 1990's" Balmoral International Group

"Famous People in Luxembourg from 1990's" Balmoral International Group

A Story by balmoralintgroup
"

Balmoral International Group History blog about the past and modern culture, historic places and other things that pertain to Luxembourg's heritage.

"

Due to positive feedback we have received from all our readers, Balmoral International Group has listed more Luxembourg famous people to learn from as they set an example in being noble to their craft.

 

Politics and Royalty

 

Jean of Luxembourg

 

Jean with his given name, Jean Benoît Guillaume Robert Antoine Louis Marie Adolphe Marc d’Aviano was born 5 January 1921. He was the Grand Duke of Luxembourg from 1964 until his abdication in 2000. His son, Grand Duke Henri is the current ruler of Luxembourg. His parents are Grand Duchess Charlotte and Prince Felix of Bourbon-Parma. Among his godparents was Pope Benedict XV, who gave him his second name.

 

His full title is “by the Grace of God, Grand Duke of Luxembourg, Duke of Nassau, Count Palatine of the Rhine, Count of Sayn, Königstein, Katzenelnbogen and Diez, Burgrave of Hammerstein, Lord of Mahlberg, Wiesbaden, Idstein, Merenberg, Limburg and Eppstein.” Many of the titles are held without regard to the strict rules of salic inheritance.

 

Victor Bodson

 

Victor Bodson (24 March 1902 �" 29 June 1984) was a justice minister of Luxembourg and received the Righteous Among the Nations award by the Israeli Supreme Court for his participation during the Holocaust in helping Jews inGermany escape persecution from the German government.

 

Bodson is also a notable motorcyclist and a swimmer. He was also the president of Luxembourgish boxing federation.

 

Sports

 

Josy Barthel

 

Joseph (“Josy”) Barthel (24 April 1927 �" 7 July 1992) was a famous Luxembourgish athlete who was the surprise winner of the Men’s 1500 meters at the 1952 summer Olympics. He is considered the only Luxembourger athlete to have won a gold medal in the Olympics. Barthel is also a known persona in chemistry and physics.

 

In 1962 Barthel became the president of the Luxembourg Athletics Federation, then from 1973 to 1977 he was the president of the Luxembourgish Olympic and Sporting Committee. He was also member of the Luxembourg government.

Josy Barthel died in Luxembourg City after a severe illness.

 

Michal Théato

 

Michel Johann Théato (22 March 1878 �" 1919) was a Luxembourgian athlete, and the winner of the marathon at the 1900 Olympics in Paris for France.

 

Many sources says that Theato worked as a baker’s delivery boy but facts say that he was actually a cabinet maker and member of the St. Mande athletic club. For a long while, it was assumed that Théato was French, and only in the late 20th century it was discovered (by Alain Bouillé) that he was born in Luxembourg.

 

Balmoral International Group Luxembourg will continue to bring you some exciting facts about the famous Luxembourg and its people. You can also read other articles in our blog section.

© 2015 balmoralintgroup


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

200 Views
Added on March 4, 2015
Last Updated on March 4, 2015
Tags: balmoralinternationalgroupluxemb, balmoralinternationalgroup, luxembourg

Author

balmoralintgroup
balmoralintgroup

Luxembourg, France



About
Balmoral International Group History Blog is your one-stop source of all things about the rich history of Luxembourg. We blog about the past and modern culture, historic places and other things that p.. more..

Writing