CHAPTER 7

CHAPTER 7

A Chapter by Barb
"

Set in 1799: Savannah, Georgia

"

Lara took a quick glance around and before she could prevent it, tears formed in her eyes. Her legs gave way as memory after memory assaulted her like physical blows. She slid down against the door; her gaze blurred by tears, and scanned the dresses on display. It was here she felt most at home, as had her parents.

Here, a common bond connected them. Here was where they spent most of their days and a majority of their evening, going over the books, ordering new dresses, talking, and playing.

She blinked as a dim, ghostly image of her father appeared before her eyes.

“Father?”

She watched as the image tiptoed around the dress racks, peering between the large skirts.

Come out, come out, wherever you are, the ethereal image sang softly.

Lara smiled wistfully. He never could find her when they played hide-and-seek.

Where’s my little girl hiding now, the ghostly apparition continued, pulling aside a dress quickly with a shout of I found you! But he hadn’t found her.

“You never did find me, did you?” Lara whispered, as the image began to fade. “Even as tall as I was and as small as the store is, you never did find me. Did you cheat, I wonder? All to please a little girl?”

Lara, come here, dear.

“Mother?” Lara cried softly.

I’d like you to meet someone.

“Oh mother,” Lara whispered, “you were always trying to find a Mr. Right, weren’t you? Even when you knew that it was hopeless.”

Lara, this is Mr. William Kimbal.

Lara couldn’t see either herself or William, but she remembered that day well enough to know what had transpired. William Kimbal was new to their small community, and single. Obviously, her mother had seen an opportunity, and jumped on it; but when Lara came out from the office at her mother’s bidding; William had taken one look, up, at her, and excused himself.

I’m sorry, Sweetheart, her mother had consoled her.

“It’s okay, Mother. Truly,” Lara said aloud in remembrance. “But I wish I could make you understand that I’m happy just as I am. And will remain so, whether I marry or not.”

I know, dearest, her mother sighed, and one of these days I’ll stop trying, but you must promise me that you won’t let the rejection of men cause you to feel less than you are, an amazing, brilliant, and exceedingly beautiful goddess.

“If I ever feel anything less, all I need to do is look at my mother and know that I am everything that you say I am, for I am an exact likeness of you, and you found father.”

You are such a sweet, giving child, and though you don’t need a man to complete your life, one day you’ll find a man who does, as I did with your father.

Lara watched as the image faded and then wiped her eyes with the back of her hand, “I may never find my perfect match, but I am going to have to find a husband or be forced to lose our home. What am I going to do?”

She drew in a deep, unsteady breath and slid up the door. She shook her head to clear the final vestiges of despair, and then bent to retrieve her newspaper. With steps of dejection, she made her way toward the back of the store to the office, settling in behind her large oak desk. She had no desire to do more than lie her head upon the desk and cry forever, but she would not dishonor her parents by behaving childishly in a moment of crisis.

With a long, drawn-out sigh, she opened the newspaper and started reading the story of General Washington’s demise; however, before she completed the first paragraph, a thought entered her weary mind and she began to flip rapidly through the pages of the paper, ignoring the fashion section that she always scanned with interest, in lieu of another potential section of interest. Suddenly, she felt a small hope replace the weariness.

When she reached the section she was looking for, she read a bit, surprised at the number of advertisements upon the page. As she read each one, she began to doubt the wisdom in her line of thought and sat back, chewing lightly on her bottom lip, contemplating potential alternate plans. No other viable alternative was presenting itself. It seemed as if this was the only avenue open to her. She scanned the section again, and then leaned back in her chair, a thoughtful expression on her face, “Well if they can do it, why can’t I?”


© 2018 Barb


Author's Note

Barb
All of my books are available on Amazon: Kindle, Hard copy, Lending Library (author, Barbara Woster)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

What! what! Can she do that they can do????? OHHH NO ! I hope she's not looking at the personals!!!!!
What a great way to get me looking for chapter 8! I like.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

62 Views
1 Review
Added on August 19, 2018
Last Updated on August 20, 2018
Tags: Romance, Romantic Thriller, Thriller, Historical Romance, British nobility


Author

Barb
Barb

OR



About
I'm an author of different genres: Romance, Romantic Suspense, Suspense, Crime Thriller, and Juvenile. All work can be found on my website @ www.LiteraryAdventures.net. Books listed on this site do no.. more..

Writing
CHAPTER 20 CHAPTER 20

A Chapter by Barb


Only One Only One

A Book by Barb