The Truth Behind What He's Done to My World (or, rather, the metaphorical explanation of a psychopath).

The Truth Behind What He's Done to My World (or, rather, the metaphorical explanation of a psychopath).

A Poem by Jeanmarie Flaherty

He's smiling again...


he broke the world in half and laughter trails down his chin, I wondered...


in between the sanity and sickness of me...


if he wanted me to clean it up.



I was annoyed, belittled, betrayed...



I was something beautiful when the shades drew themselves between my toes, and if he only knew


but he


was predetermined to be


himself


and I was convinced that life was tired.



My hair's not so happy these days, we've tried and tripped and broke the ends, I've noticed the fraying and begged him to cut the lines...


but he told me, with pieces of the earth hanging from his teeth....


that damages were unavoidable and maybe


I should smile.




I've read the magazines that discuss 2005 and there wasn't a paragraph depicting he and I...


not a f*****g word...


yet he swears by the light of the moon that we're forgiven, he swears we never really fell


out of love....



I'm rolling over in bed now, trying to understand my left side, there's no birthmarks there, not one on my ribcage...


just his fingerprints, just the year I turned thirty,


and the sticky pages of sweat, the audacity of March in the south, and I wonder if he knows he's confused the sun with his destruction


she's cries when she wakes with no direction, with no sight of day.



I'm terrible, troubled and tricked


he's smiling now, he's hungry again and I wonder if he'll chew on me...


I wonder if the scars will gloat, lie and declare themselves


birthmarks


and I wonder where I'll stand this time, behind houses and beds, in shadows and doorways with my hair


frizzed and frayed...


with destruction unavoidable


and the words of 2005


ripped


between his teeth.

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2009 Jeanmarie Flaherty


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is a good write. If your rhymes are not intended I find that you have an innate talent for it cause they are everywhere, 'again,chin', 'betrayed,shades', 'destruction,direction' and I really like the alliteration with 'terrible,troubled and tricked' along with 'frizzed and frayed'. The hair metaphor is unique and different, possibly describing a relationship that is 'tripped and broke'. I get a sense of someone hiding 'behind houses and beds, in shadows and doorways'. The scars as birthmarks is a telling metaphor as well. Once again a lot of underlying emotion here and the subtle rhyme and alliteration let's the reader flow down the page to the conclusion. Well done.

J.P.O.et

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

WOW Jeanmarie you have a unique way of writing , but I liked it.
Your story gave way to some interesting thoughts.

great write thanks for sharing.

Kelley

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a good write. If your rhymes are not intended I find that you have an innate talent for it cause they are everywhere, 'again,chin', 'betrayed,shades', 'destruction,direction' and I really like the alliteration with 'terrible,troubled and tricked' along with 'frizzed and frayed'. The hair metaphor is unique and different, possibly describing a relationship that is 'tripped and broke'. I get a sense of someone hiding 'behind houses and beds, in shadows and doorways'. The scars as birthmarks is a telling metaphor as well. Once again a lot of underlying emotion here and the subtle rhyme and alliteration let's the reader flow down the page to the conclusion. Well done.

J.P.O.et

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

So sadly moving, through dark spaces of earth and air, mind and matter... Oh, the pain of scars that rip apart our souls, and leave only fragments of who we are... who we dream to be... I can only weep...

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

419 Views
3 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 7, 2009
Last Updated on March 7, 2009

Author

Jeanmarie Flaherty
Jeanmarie Flaherty

The Gulf, FL



About
I am reality, I am art, I am every dream I've ever had and the corners of my childrens lips when they smile. I am tears and laughter, I am shoulders and knees, I am a writer, a photographer, a mother... more..

Writing