The Smudged and Damaged Letters of His Name.

The Smudged and Damaged Letters of His Name.

A Poem by Jeanmarie Flaherty

He was breathing...


I listened, legs crossed and, captured somewhere between bruised knees and twisted ankles,


was the intimacy of sleep.



I adored him, sometimes, with a need not unlike that of peeling dingy, cracked paper off the kitchen walls...


one strip gone, and my obsession for discovering what lay underneath


suffocated me.


I often wondered how many women had written his name in the desperation of attention, I wonder if they scrawled it out and stained it with teardrops, his sly smile laying in the smudges of ink....


but I never did, I never let his letters run down my page, and his name was not what fascinated me...


I found it to be


common.



He's dreaming, I suppose, I'll never see what lies beneath the skin but I'll study his fingerprints, the way he touches me so that I can grasp the beating of my own heart, so I can scribble down the lyrics that the music forgot to sing...


I'll describe the way he grazes himself across my stomach, skipped, paused and breathless.



I'll sleep sometime, past four a.m. and I'll be certain not to wake him, I'll watch his promises tumble from his open lips and try to capture them with my tongue, I'll wait and bleed...


I'll sleep and wonder...


where we're


headed.

© 2009 Jeanmarie Flaherty


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Every breath I read jettisons me into memories I'd rather release. But like a gallery walled in Van Gogh how do you decide the room from the beauty...How do you separate the unspoken from your skin ?
My honesty is that sometimes I do wish that I had never found your poetry... that it might have been easier....but who could turn away and ours is never in the easier.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
MIB
What can I say, excellent work. It makes you think and ponder... I love a poem that makes you think about things, this done that for me... brilliant :D

Posted 11 Years Ago


I had to stop and pause...lost in your fluid translike emotion. Like water...it rains on our heads..covering the reader with words of fascination and a need to listen. We listen for the next breath..the next moment you decide to pen another heart beat. I feel both pain and fascination in your poetry..perhaps thats why I keep reading.....

Posted 11 Years Ago


Every breath I read jettisons me into memories I'd rather release. But like a gallery walled in Van Gogh how do you decide the room from the beauty...How do you separate the unspoken from your skin ?
My honesty is that sometimes I do wish that I had never found your poetry... that it might have been easier....but who could turn away and ours is never in the easier.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I can only say , this is real poetry , there are so many lines that sing in this one and all in harmony with the feelings you express.

Posted 14 Years Ago


A little bit haunting...and sad.

Posted 14 Years Ago


'the intimacy of sleep', I find that a somehow ironic statement and I love the description ofadoring 'with a need not unlike that of peeling dingy, cracked paper off the kitchen walls'to see what lay beneath. Also like the part about finding the name 'common', feel there is underlying meaning there. In the line with 'grazes...skipped, paused', there is a lot of tense change but that can be overlooked.� I like this one for all the underlying meaning and your unique style.

J.P.O.et �

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

376 Views
6 Reviews
Added on May 12, 2009

Author

Jeanmarie Flaherty
Jeanmarie Flaherty

The Gulf, FL



About
I am reality, I am art, I am every dream I've ever had and the corners of my childrens lips when they smile. I am tears and laughter, I am shoulders and knees, I am a writer, a photographer, a mother... more..

Writing