Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Becky Cox
"

The prologue to The Olympus Project.

"

She heard a knock on the door, and suddenly the room was flooded with light. Rays from the sun poured through from the door, and a few patches of the wooden floor were lit through the cracks of the boarded-up windows. Someone was standing in the doorframe, but the evening light had him silhouetted, making him hard to make out.

“Is your name Maya? Maya Kipadou?” He asked, stepping forward so she could see him.

Maya was hunched in the corner defensively, she nodded, and then she turned away from him, trying not to sow the tears welling in her eyes. The boy stepped forwards, followed by another. She was glad, though, that there were only two of them, any more would have been difficult to charm.

Her charm had always been her strongest feature. Along with her sweet looks and the long, wavy, fair hair. She could wrap people around her little finger, and yet, she was still stuck in an old derelict house, cowering away from two boys who were looking at her, concerned, interested.

“Please, Maya, just look at us.” The second one said, his voice deeper, tired-sounding.

Maya looked up at them. The one closest to her was kneeling down, looking at her with a sympathetic expression . He had glasses with rectangular lenses, shaggy, curly, brown hair and brown eyes. The one behind him looked exasperated, lackadaisical, and generally exhausted. He had straight, black hair and grey, clouded eyes. He looked at her, bored, and she changed her expression to look at him, annoyed.

The brown haired one straightened up, brushed down his jacket, which looked suspiciously like tweed, “My name is Icarus. This guy here is Hypnos. Please, don’t be concerned, we’re here to help you.”

Hypnos turned to face the door for a moment before looking back at Maya, “There’s Chronos, too. She’s-” He searched for word, trying to explain that the personification of time was late, “Engaged in important matters.”

“Why are you here?” Maya squeaked, more scared by the people now that she knew their names; recognisable, Greek, terrifying, “Are you here for me?”

Icarus adjusted his glasses, “In a way, but don’t worry. We think you’re different, more so than other people, and we’d like to induct you into our ranks.”

Hypnos, in his businesslike voice, added, “We are the Olympus Project. Welcome.” He looked angry for a second,” And good luck.”



© 2013 Becky Cox


Author's Note

Becky Cox
What do you think of the setting? Would you read more?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

277 Views
Added on January 11, 2013
Last Updated on January 11, 2013
Tags: aphrodite, maya, kipadou, icarus, hypnos, prologue


Author

Becky Cox
Becky Cox

Castel, West Coast, Guernsey



About
I live on a small island called Guernsey, which is a Crown Dependency. I've loved writing for years, and drawing/sketching as well. more..

Writing