You Can't Tell Me No- a story about making the volleyball team (true story)

You Can't Tell Me No- a story about making the volleyball team (true story)

A Story by Jordan
"

this is how i made the volleyball team... actually, when they first made the 'cuts', i wasn't actually on the team, but i did make the team in the end anyways :

"

       My final year in my elementary school had been going great. Grade eight couldn't have gotten any better, or so I thought. In sports, I'd gotten a goal for my school soccer team and placed 18th in cross country running. Volleyball was next. I'd made the team the previous year, and it turns out that I loved it! In early November, tryouts were held, and I didn't hesitate like some of my friends had. I went tothe try-outs and done really well, if I do say so myself. Although, the coaches had a different idea. 9 people made the primary team, and 6 made the practice team (a non-competitive team who will be put on the team the following year, so non of the grade eights were put on that team). I was not on the list. I was really upset, because for the first time I'd actually believed in myself. I actually believed I would make the team. I was really upset. After school, when I went home, I had gotten an idea... but I was still a very shy girl, so I would need the help of a friend who had made the team. Her name is Audrey. I went onto facebook and prayed she was online so I could talk to her. And not surprisingly, she was. I told her my idea. She liked it and agreed to help me with it.

       My plan was one a teacher couldn't resist. Audrey asked our coach if I could practice with the team. That way, I would have just as much of making the team as any of my schoolmates next year in high school. I could improve my skills. I could become an even better volleyball player.  It would be perfect. That was all I could hope for. So on the following Tuesday morning, I put my knee pads on, got into my gym clothes, and headed to the school. According to my mom and the coaches, to have the idea to ask is one thing... but to actually go and practice with the team is another. Apparently it's rare, but uhm, personally, I don't see why. Anyways, the coach's pulled me aside after the practice and said that they were very impressed. They said I was showing more skill, but more importantly, I was showing leadership. They said if I were to keep it up, they would give me a spot on the team! I was blown away!

       A week later I was given a spot on the team and I couldn't have been happier. I've learned so much from this experience. I never knew I could be that way, so I also learned a bit about myself. Christmas break came and my brother got me this really nice green volleyball to congradulate me on my achievement. Later on in about mid-January, I was given an important posistion (okay, I was a sub, but whatever)- center. I played in every game which was definately nice. A few weeks later, on Februrary 18th, we went to our NorthWest Regional Tournament and placed second! I know that may sound... I don't know, less nice than a first place, but our school has, uhm, really sucked at volleyball for as long as I can remember, so this was a huge achievement for us.

       In conclusion, this was great experience, and it is something I will surely remember for a long time. Now, I know it doesn't always work out this way, but now I know what a little bit of hard work can do for you. I didn't let them tell me no. I didn't give up, and in the end, the odds were in my favor. I'm glad I did this, because it was definatly the highlight of my great eight year. I hope you get some inspiration from my story, and I hope you find it helpful. :D

© 2012 Jordan


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

110 Views
Added on August 18, 2012
Last Updated on August 18, 2012

Author

Jordan
Jordan

Ontario, Canada



About
SO... i guess i'm just an average 14-year-old girl. i love to write stories, i have at least 20 that i'm currently writting. oh yeah, i also love to read. my favorites are the hunger games by suzanne.. more..

Writing
Aurora and Nita Aurora and Nita

A Story by Jordan


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Jordan