Chapter Three

Chapter Three

A Chapter by Karina Gomez-Castillo

CHAPTER THREE


***

Karma took a deep breath, glancing around in the shadows for anyone that may have been following them that could’ve been a part of the Unity or from the Elders. Other people walked past her and the Huntress, not paying attention to either of them as they flipped through the screens on their phones and rushed home for the night. Their footsteps were masked by the cars rushing by on the streets, lights flashing every so often from a turning car.

“Are you sure this is safe?” Karma asked once again. The Huntress let out a long, drawn out sigh, shaking her head. Karma was taller than the Huntress by a few inches - even though the Huntress was wearing heeled boots - but that didn’t mean that she couldn’t take down Karma, or people twice her size.

“Please.” It sounded as if she were rolling her eyes at Karma’s question for the third time. “You seriously have nothing to be afraid of.” Karma bit her lip.

“Can I know what your name is, then?” Karma asked in a small voice. The Huntress laughed, looking over at shoulder.

“Helena. My name is Helena Amélie Nightshade.” She gave Karma a soft smile, her blue eyes darkening with the shadows. There was a slight accent in the way Helena said her name, but Karma couldn’t catch it. Instead, Karma smiled at the way it sounded; how it rolled off her tongue. She always liked the name Helena.

“That’s a very pretty name.” Helena quietly thanked her. “My name is Karma Cinaura, but there are a handful of people who call me Foxxieanne.” Helena snorted.

“Yeah, I’m definitely not getting paid enough to call you that,” she said. “I’m only going to call you Karma and we’re leaving it at that. You basically just straight-up told me what you do on your free time.” Helena pulled out a pair of keys from her pocket, before turning a corner and ascending stairs to her apartment. “But, before we continue … I can tell that you’re something else by the colors you give off.”

“Excuse me?” Karma asked, taking a step back. She had forgotten about the auras that supernatural’s carry. As Karma blinked, she could see the faint blues and whites hovering above Helena’s head.

“You’re not a full Vampire,” Helena said as she turned around to continue up the steps and open the door. “The colors and the smell of you indicate that you’re a Half-Breed.” Karma ran a hand through her hair nervously. People never believed Karma when she told them. Karma opened her mouth to speak, but began to stutter. “Oh, for the love of God, tell me.”

“Well,” Karma said, swallowing hard. “I’m also a Mer-Mermaid.” There was a breath of silence before Helena made a soft noise of understanding. She gave Karma a small smile and nodded.

“What?” asked a small high-pitched voice that was coming from inside of the apartment. Karma walked up the remainder of the steps and looked inside, seeing a blonde girl - the same height as Helena - sitting on the couch with a glass of wine on her knee.

“Oh, Sophia,” Helena said, walking through the threshold. “Karma, this is Sophia, my roommate. Sophia, this is Karma. Could you ready the room?”

“On it!” Sophia stood up and smoothed her jeans after placing her wine glass off to the side.

“Your apartment is quite grand.” Helena had removed her heels and was walking into the kitchen, reaching up to open a cupboard.

“I know,” Helena said, pulling out a small object and tossing it to Karma. She missed it, just barely as it fell from her fingertips and onto the carpet. It was a key. “I have my reason behind the spacious apartment, just like how I have my reason behind letting you stay with me.”

“What is that reason, if I may ask?” Karma said, sitting down at the kitchen table. Her fingertips brushed against the soft table cloth, and she could notice faded wine stains underneath the floral centerpiece.

“Because,” Helena said as she jumped onto the counter, “I know that you need my help. Not only do you need a place to stay, but I know there is something internally within you that you cannot comprehend and you need someone to guide you. Someone like me.”

“How do you know such information?”

“I’m gifted,” she said with a smile. “But, I also know that somehow, you can help me too. I’m not sure how just yet … but that will soon be discovered.”

“And you have all this room because you need help?”

“I have all of this room because I had a vision when I first came to Seattle. Granted, it’s been two years since then, but better late than never, right?” Karma smiled.

“And you have a room just for me?”

“A bathroom, to be exact,” Sophia said from behind Karma. “Since you enjoy the presence of water and would rather be there than anywhere else, Helena arranged that you get a grandiose bathroom.”

“There’s a futon and everything,” Helena said, still smiling. Karma’s eyes opened wide as she looked between the two of them.

“You’re kidding … right?” Helena shook her head. Sophia’s smile turned into a grin.

“Not one bit,” Sophia said.

“Go check it out for yourself,” Helena added, hopping off the counter and motioning for Karma to follow.

The size of the room was about the size of any average bedroom, but instead of the floor being carpet, it was covered in tile. There was a large bathtub set off in the corner, a curtain to the side to cover her. Just as Helena promised, there was a futon set directly across from the tub, a small table in front of it, stacked with a few books. The walls were painted a soft lavender color. There was also a lamp and a changing screen. Behind a separate curtain was a sink and a toilet.

“Oh, goodness,” Karma said. “This is really my room?”

“As of today, yes ma’am,” Helena said.

“Would you like a glass of wine, Helena?” Sophia asked in a hushed voice.

“Please,” Helena said. “Also, bring one for our new roommate.” Sophia nodded and left the room. “You know, you being a Vampire Mermaid … That’s quite the combination.”

“I know,” Karma said as she took a seat on the futon, her fingers brushing over the covering.

“How the hell did that happen?”

“It happened like how most children are born,” Karma said. “My mother was a Mermaid, and she was singing by the shores. My father, a Vampire, was just minding his own business, but then he fell in love with her voice. He seduced her, knocked her up, and forty days later I popped out the womb.” Sophia walked back in with two glasses of wine, handing one to Helena and one over to Karma.

“Was?”

“My mother is dead,” Karma said as she swirled the red wine around in the glass.

“My apologizes,” Helena said in a tone that meant she understood. “Do you know who your father is?”

Trochu - Slightly.” Karma took a small sip of the wine. “Sorry, you’ll hear me speak Czech a lot for it is my native tongue. But my father is a Count somewhere in Russia and when my mother was alive, she would talk bad about him. But when he would come visit, I could tell that she was in love with him.”

“Tragedy at its finest,” Helena muttered as she leaned against the wall next to Karma. Karma perked her head up and saw something change in Helena’s expression. Helena had the wine glass touching her lip, her brow furrowed as if she were deep in thought; as if something that Karma had said triggered something in Helena. Before Karma could ask what was wrong, Helena’s phone began to ring. “Oh, I’ll take this in the other room.”

“So, what are you?” Karma asked Sophia, who had moved from the threshold when Helena rushed past her. “Why are you living with Helena?”

“I’m a Fallen Angel,” Sophia said, taking a seat on the edge of the table. “My wings haven’t been taken fully, but I’m working on getting my status regained and Helena’s promised to help me.”

“How nice of her. Does she do this often?”

“Not at all. From my understanding, this is the first time she’s done anything like this.”

“And do you know what she needs help with?”

“She hasn’t mentioned it yet,” Sophia said. “All I know is that we’re searching for one more person and then I think whatever underlying plan that has been set up will take place.” Karma bit her lip and sipped her wine slowly when Helena came back into the room.

“Sorry about that,” Helena said. “Now, where were we?”

“Who was it?” Sophia asked when Helena took a seat on the futon.

“No one horribly important,” she said. “It was just James.”

“Oh, I forgot to tell you .. He came by earlier today when you were out searching.”

“He told me,” Helena  said with  a slight frown. “He was really confused as to why you look like my mother.”

“I look like your mother?” Sophia asked.

“It’s the blonde hair.”

“So, Helena,” Karma began in a quiet voice. “Are you sure you won’t be getting into some form of trouble for this?”

“Alright, let me give it to you guys straight,” Helena said, setting her wine glass down. “Whenever the Unity decides to catch on, I’ll be getting reprimanded. But, it’ll take a while before they decide to pull my files up and remember everything I’ve supposedly put them through.”

“You’re in hiding,” Sophia said in a small voice. Her hand tensed, her nails scratching against the wine glass.

“Not exactly. They know I’m gone, but they like to forget it from time to time because of all this dumb paperwork. But, this thing that I’m doing is quite risky.”

“Then why take the risk?” Helena’s lip quirked up at Karma’s question.

Prendre des risques,” she said, “sums up my life as the Sicarius Warrior I am. Frankly, the punishment they’ll give me will never amount to the pain I’ve felt by them already.”

“What happened?” Karma asked.

“Well, I’d tell you guys, but I don’t want to get too personal just yet. I’m sure it’ll come up in a conversation a few days from now and some things I may say will probably allude to it. I’m not exactly out to get the Unity; I just want everyone to know that what they did to me and my family was not an accident.”

“Then we promise to help you,” Sophia said. Helena laughed.

“Oh, it’s not like you guys really have much of a choice. You two have been specifically chosen by my Angels. So, let’s see where this goes.”



Helena kicked the door to Karma’s bedroom open, swearing underneath her breath. One full month had gone by since the day Sophia started to live with her, but only two weeks with Karma. Her apartment basically became living quarters for the supernatural community. All she needed now was  Werewolf in need and  Fey in hiding and she’d be more than complete. Looking around the room, her eyes adjusted quickly and she could see a shadowed figure in the corner of the room. Flickering on the lights, Helena saw that it was Karma, hunched over. She covered her eyes from the light, blood trickling down the corner of her mouth. At her feet laid the body of a dead man.

“Jesus Christ,” Helena said, letting out a sigh. Karma looked away from her, ashamed as she closed her bright yellow eyes, a sign from her feed. “You can’t just go around and attack the first person you see when you’re a little hungry!” she yelled. Karma flinched again.

“I’m sorry!” Helena made an aggravated noise, taking a few hesitant steps towards Karma.

“Are you even satisfied?” Helena asked in a low voice as she tapped the body with the toe of her heels. She recognized the man as Timothy Robinson. He lived in the apartment right below Helena’s. He wasn’t married, but he did have a son.

“No,” Karma muttered as she wiped the blood from her mouth furiously with the back of her hand.

Merde.” Helena took a deep breath as she crouched down in front of Karma, her hands reaching up for the first button on her shirt. Her fingers undid a few buttons, and as Karma caught on, she paused.

“Helena - no … I can’t -”

“Shut up and drink,” Helena said. “Feed.”

“No!” Karma yelled. Her fangs reappeared, piercing her lower lip. Karma’s dark brown eyes still were glowing yellow as she stared at Helena’s neck.

“You’re still hungry, and I’m not going to let you hunt. Take my blood instead.”

“I …”

“Do you want me to let you starve?” Helena asked as she crossed her legs in front of her, brushing her hair over her shoulder. Karma didn’t respond; she just stared at Helena’s neck intensely. Helena began to wonder if Karma could see the blood flowing through her veins, pulsing with each beat of her heart. “You know, feeding on the civilians can get you in loads of trouble once the Unity finds out and they reach the Elders and the Dragons.”

“But what about feeding on you? Won’t that be getting us both in trouble with the Unity?”

“Then it becomes my problem to deal with,” Helena said, leaning forward, hoping that her scent would entice Karma. “Come on, feed on me and then we’ll get rid of the body.” Karma took a sharp inhale as she grasped Helena’s shoulder roughly, her fangs digging into the side of her neck. It was then Helena’s turn to inhale sharply, a soft gasp leaving her lips as the blood began to drain from her body. It was a strange feeling, to feel something suck out your blood. Closing her eyes, she waited patiently for Karma to finish up. Karma pulled away quickly, wiping her mouth and averting her eyes from Helena’s gaze.

“Are you … alright?” Karma asked in a quiet voice as Helena’s fingers redid the buttons. She adjusted her shirt and shook out her hair a bit.

“I’m fine,” Helena said, standing up. “Now, let’s get this body out of here.”



Day after day Tsuna constantly searched through his files, hoping to find a reason behind Helena’s living situation here in Seattle. He didn’t exactly want to contact the Unity and accidentally “turn her in” if they were searching for her, because he started to have a liking towards Helena. But as the days blurred together, he realized that he had spent more time looking into a past that didn’t seem to exist. Whoever Helena really was, she was good at hiding her tracks and hiding her real self.

But the Unity would find Helena soon enough and make her pay for whatever charges she had against them, if she even did anything wrong. Word was bound to get back to the Unity on Helena’s whereabouts.

Throwing the files across the room, Tsuna made an aggravated noise and grabbed his coat that was hanging from his lamp. He decided that he needed to get a drink from somewhere other than his refrigerator. Shoving his hands into his pockets, he made his way out of his apartment and down the stairs. As he started up the sidewalk, he noticed Sophia, walking in the opposite direction. There was a large bag slung over her shoulder, her hair up in a bun.

“Hey, Sophia!”

“Oh, hey,” she said, pausing in front of him. The sun was hiding behind the clouds today, a soft breeze blowing Sophia’s stray hairs around her face. She gave him a small smile. “Haven’t seen you in a while.”

“Yeah, I know,” Tsuna said, giving her an apologetic shrug. “I’ve just been doing some research.” Sophia nodded as she adjusted the duffle bag. “Where are you headed to?” He knew that Helena’s apartment was in the direction she was coming from.

“Uh, Helena and I were going to go train in a new location today and she asked me to pick up a few things before heading out over there.” Tsuna began to notice more change in Sophia’s body; she was just as thin, but just as fit as Helena. He also took notice of how much darker her eyelashes appeared as they framed her emerald green eyes. And in an instance, the girl who he viewed as a bratty little sister seemed to have grown up somehow.

“How is Helena?” Tsuna asked quickly to distract himself.

“Oh, she’s doing fine, you know,” Sophia said, raising her eyebrows. “Remember Karma? She was the girl who was with me a few days ago.” Tsuna nodded. “Yeah, Helena’s been helping her out these past couple of weeks.”

“She new to the area?”

“Something like that. Helena’s also trying to avoid someone. He keeps coming by to the apartment for her and all of that.”

“Oh my,” Tsuna muttered, scratching the back on his head.

“You know who’s looking for her?” Sophia asked, tilted her head to the side.

“Yeah, one of her, right? Goes by James?”

“That’s the one.”

“I was wondering if he found her .. I was thinking that maybe she ran off or something to avoid him. I’m surprised Helena stayed.” Sophia smiled.

“It’ll take a lot to get that girl out of Seattle. From what I understand is that she’s planning on staying here for a long time. I’m not sure what for exactly, but this seems like home to her.”

“She may be hiding something,” Tsuna joked. Sophia rolled her eyes. Could she be that clueless. “This is Radical City, you know.”

“You just said that there aren’t many of them, and that they really didn’t do anything against their governments. And if she is hiding something, it mustn't be anything serious.”

“If it’s nothing serious, why is it a secret?” Sophia narrowed her eyes at him.

“You know something.”

“No, I don’t,” Tsuna said, lifting his hands up in surrender. “I’m concerned for her safety.” Before Sophia could retort, her phone went off from inside one of the pockets from the training bag. She shifted it around, digging in the pockets until she found it.

“Oh, hey Helena.” Tsuna could hear Helena’s clear and strong voice on the other line, speaking in a quick-paced tone. “You’re what? Leaving? To wh-No I was just heading over to the training area.” She paused for a moment, her brows furrowing together. “You’re going to New York? Oh alright .. I’ll let-Yeah I’ll tell Karma for you, don’t worry. See you when you come back.” Sophia hung up and held her phone tightly in her left hand.

“She’s going to New York? Told you she’d be up and gone.”

“She may be going to New York, but it’s not to stay,” Sophia said. “She has an important meeting with the Vice President of the Unity.” Tsuna raised an eyebrow. The Unity had contacted Helena, but for what? “She said it might take awhile because they haven’t seen her in a couple of years.”

“Did she specify?” he asked. “Did she say what the meeting could be about or what? Like, the importance of it?”

“No,” she said, staring at him. “She only told me it was important and nothing more.” She sighed. “Hey, I have to get tell Karma about this. I’ll see you around later.”

“Alright,” he said as she turned away. “I’ll be seeing you.”



Sophia took a deep breath as she turned the corner and made her way back to the apartment. Her head was shaking slightly at the concern that Tsuna was portraying about Helena’s whereabouts. It seemed that he cared a little too much about what Helena was doing in New York. Was it really possible that Tsuna Izuna, the guy she saw as an older brother, had feelings for someone? Or maybe this was what Helena meant by “be careful on who you tell information to.”

Sophia bit her lip. But what if Tsuna had legitimate feelings for Helena? For as long as Sophia’s known him, he never really showed his feelings to anyone. Maybe this - whatever was going on inside of him - was some sort-of breakthrough? If it was, he chose the wrong girl to love. Helena would pack up and leave Seattle for good if Tsuna confessed to her, if that were the case.

Then again, Sophia knew that Helena would go to the bar a couple times a week to grab a drink with Tsuna. Who knew that they talked about together, laughing as the would bring their glasses together and confessing things to each other that not even Sophia knew about. Helena wasn’t the type to dive deep into her personal life, unless it only affected Sophia and Karma. Helena enjoyed being a mystery, seeming plain and boring, but people knew she had something to hide - good or bad. She was a closed book, and as much as Sophia tried to open her up, Helena would close shut right in Sophia’s face. That began to make Sophia wonder:

What did the Unity do?

Has Helena ever experienced love?

Sophia shook the thoughts from her head, opening the door into the apartment swiftly. She let the training bag slide from her shoulder onto the door, kicking off her shoes and made her way down the hall to Karma’s room. Opening the door carefully, Sophia peeked in. Karma was awake and dressed, smiling when she saw Sophia.

“Back already?” Karma asked as she reached into the bathtub to drain the water. She was dressed in jeans and a sweater, her hair flowing in soft black curls. “Where’s Helena?”

“Oh, Helena and I didn’t train today. She called me, though, saying that she was headed to New York for a special meeting.” Karma stood up straight,  her eyebrows raising.

“Wow,” she said, sitting down on the futon, the light hitting her eyes in a way that they seemed lighter, looking almost chocolate brown. “So sudden? Or maybe she told us too late?” Sophia shook her head.

“The meeting is with the Unity,” Sophia said. “When they have a meeting or summon you, you have to answer immediately. It’s protocol.” Karma raised her head in understanding.

“It’s scary, knowing that Helena could just turn on us and hand us over to the Unity in a blink of an eye.” Sophia gently placed a hand on Karma’s shoulder, sitting across from her on the table.

“She’d never do that. Helena needs us as much as we need her. Sure, you’ve only known her for a short period of time and all, and I’ve known Helena just a little longer than you have but it’s been enough to understand and know that she’ll never betray us.”

“That’s true.” Karma shook out her curls and then sighed. “I’m getting hungry. Do you think we still have some fruit lying around the kitchen? I don’t want to risk my chances of feeding without Helena. After our incident … Well, her blood is honestly better than the rest.” Sophia laughed.

“I’m not sure if we do. I’ll go check and if we don’t, I’ll go out and buy some for you.” Karma stood up and thought for a moment.

“No, no, I’ll go buy the fruit. I need some time out of these four walls and a chance to breathe and think.” Sophia nodded.

“Alright then,” she said. “Just call me if you need anything.” Karma held her hand up as a wave before grabbing her keys and walking out of the door.



Helena stepped out of the portal, taking a deep breath as her vision focused and the room around her stopped shaking. She had been teleported to the airport, inside of a bathroom stall. Helena laughed to herself; that Warlock sure has a sense of humor. Pushing down the flush handle with her foot, she opened the stall door and walked out to wash her hands to blend in with the crowd. When she dried off her hands, she let out a soft sigh, pushing past a group of girls. Helena absolutely loathed being called last minuted by the Unity. She never understood their idea behind last-minute calls and meetings and how they must be answered the moment you received them. It was a nuisance.

Though, Helena knew this was going to happen sooner or later - but she prefered not at all. Ever since the incident that happened two years ago when she had abandoned James’ mother at one of the Institutes in Reno, Nevada, there was really no escaping the Unity. There was too much that had happened to Helena, she was unable to handle everything so her last resort was to escape without a trace. That was when she had fled to Seattle because not many Unity spies are in that area. Apparently James had figured it out since the day he showed up at her apartment. Perhaps he was the weasel who told the Unity where she was hiding out.

Helena walked over to the baggage pickup for the first flight she could find, a black duffle bag with her name elegantly written on it shining like a beacon. Stepping through the crowd of people, she picked it up, slung it over her shoulder and walked out of the airport. Warlocks are some of the nicest people, she thought to herself as she sliding doors slid open, revealing a familiar smell of pollution and sea salt. Standing by one of the pickup zones, she shoved her hands into the pocket of her jeans, crossing her right ankle over her left. Her leather jacket opened up slightly with the New York breeze, her eyes scanning the vehicles. A grey limo turned the corner and Helena felt all eyes on her as it pulled up right in front of her. The chauffeur - who recognized Helena instantly - grabbed her duffle back before giving her a slight bow in respect for her lineage. He placed her duffle to side, reaching for the door handle.

A figure stepped out from the limousine, wearing a grey pantsuit, her greying hair pulling up neatly into a bun. Her hazel eyes scanned Helena, her tight mouth pulled into a line. Helena placed her left arm behind her back and her right hand over her heart in a fist before bowing. In front of her was Madame Madeleine Bellenoir, the Vice President of the Unity. As Helena bent forward, Madeleine placed her left hand up, causing Helena to pause for a moment.

“Miss Nightshade,” said the Madame, her French accent the same thickness it has always been since Helena was a child. Madeleine Bellenoir was there from the beginning of her life - from the moment her mother was pregnant, up to when Helena was born, and a constant figure appearing in and out of her life. Helena looked up to Madeleine, viewing her as a sort of caregiver, her tante. “It’s lovely that you chose to accept the call and meet me here on such short notice.” The way Madeleine was speaking to Helena made her feel nervous.

“Of course,” Helena said as she stood up straight. The Madame gave her a tight smile before sliding back into the limo. Helena followed shortly after and the door closed loudly behind her. “Honestly, a weeks notice would’ve been better, but when the Unity calls, one must answer.”

“I apologize for all of this,” Madeleine said, leaning back in her seat. “But we do have many things to discuss, Hélène.” There it is, Helena thought to herself. Helena was originally born Hélène Amélie Nightshade, but her English family preferred to call her Helena, not Helen. So her name was officially changed to Helena when she turned three, but her French family and friends kept using her original name.

“Such as?” Helena crossed her legs, her heel scraping against the interior.

“Darling, you’ve been missing for deux ans - two years. I’m sorry, but this is not acceptable.” Helena leaned back, groaning.

“I haven’t been missing,” Helena said. “After all, you were able to contact me. You wouldn’t have if I were missing.”

“Only because James Dawnblade found you in Seattle,” she said. “I was given your case and it killed me because I haven’t spoken to you in over two years and knowing that the Unity still searches for you concerns me.”

“The Unity is dumb.” Helena pouted her lips, looking out of the window. Red began to outline her vision.

“You do know that you are of age to go around, get married, and give your father grandchildren, right?” Helena laughed, shaking her head at Madeleine.

“I do know that. But, I don’t think Robert would be a fan, knowing that I’m going around and getting pregnant.” Madeleine smiled.

“I think he would be pleased,” Madeleine said. Helena rolled her eyes. “To be honest, chérie, I was hoping that you were going to accept James’ proposal.”

“Excuse me?”

“You must remember that it’s not all about love but-”

“But that we marry to keep the blood flowing strong and the great legacies going,” Helena finished. “Yes, I know that. But, really? You want to throw me into the Dawnblade lineage?”

“Why not?” Madeleine asked. “They’re a lineage of strength and power. A lineage of royalty, like yours.” Helena closed her eyes, pinching the bridge of her nose. The Sicarii have twelve “royal” lineages. Being a royal lineage had nothing to do with being a king or a queen, but it meant that they were the lineages blessed by the Angels and Coeles as the lineages to be powerful, knowledgeable, and wealthy. They had status, and many Sicarii Warriors knew who they were and strived to create their lineage to be royal, or to join a royal lineage.

“You and I both know that the ‘royal’ lineages are diminishing and dying. What wealth is there? Power? Every lineage is growing strong now. Everyone is striving to have what we have. The only thing making us royal is our blessings and gifts.”

“What about the Lionheart lineage of Scotland? Or the Vozdukh lineage of Russia?”

“Madeleine,” Helena said. “I don’t want to go into those lineages …”

“Perhaps we could find you a more suitable mate. Once that you feel comfortable with.” Helena raised her eyebrow, immediately knowing exactly where this was going. The Bellenoir lineage was a royal lineage as well. “My three sons, especially Arthur-”

“Whoa.” Helena raised up her hands. Madeleine paused her a moment, reaching up to scratch her neck. “You think … Do you really think I could find love with them? Art-Arthur is nothing to me.” Helena shook her head, her hands shaking nervously as she looked away. “They were in my life just as much as James was, Madeleine. This is absurd.”

“This isn’t about finding love, Hélène! C’est trés belle and I would hate to see you getting around with other men who only want you for one thing and throwing yourself away. I would hate to see the Nightshade lineage end with you.”

“It’s not going to end with me,” Helena said. “I have many cousins, those you are already married.”

“I understand, but I would hate to see Robert in pain.”

“He’ll be fine.”

Hélène,” Madeleine said, her tone changing.

Ma décision,” Helena said. “This will be my decision.” Madeleine reached over, placing her hand softly on Helena’s knee.

Je comprends, but I do think you shouldn’t shut yourself away. Let the Angels guide you to your happy ending. I would like to see you settle down with a worthy Sicarius male, royal or not, and be happy.” Helena sighed. “Just have dinner with me and my family and talk with Arthur, Jesse, and Benji and see if either one of them make a different impression on you. After all, it’s been nearly four years since you’ve seen them.”

“Alright, alright,” Helena said. “But if the Angels tell me to jump out of this limo, I’m doing it.”




Karma walked down the street and turned the corner, her eyes looking at the sky. The sun was beginning to set in the distance, the clouds growing darker by the minute. She had taken the Monorail to her favorite supermarket, one that Helena enjoyed going to. When she got off her stop, a strange sensation had come about Karma. Her feet began to tingle with each step she took, her heart feeling empty. This was the first time Helena wasn’t with Karma. This was the first time they were separated, miles apart. Karma shook the thought from her head and continued walking, shoving her earbuds in to drown out her thoughts with lyrics. But the feeling of loneliness still hovered at the edges. After tasting Helena’s blood for the first time, Karma had felt oddly closer to her. It was as if there was this strange connection that appeared between them.

There were many vampire terms that Karma had never bothered to learn while she was swimming around the ocean. She had never needed them, but now that she was on land more and around Helena, it might become a necessity to learn all of those little terms. But the thought was pushed off to the side as she entered the supermarket. The market was full of people, doing their after work shopping.

Karma grabbed a basket and went to start picking through all the fruit. There always seemed to be a shortage in peaches and apples at the markets, but that was because Karma and Helena would buy them in bulk. Soon enough, strawberries were added into the mix, along with kiwis, bananas, grapes and so much more that Karma began to question if she really needed that much fruit. But when she noticed Helena and Sophia picking at the fruit too, the piles they would bring home would be gone in less than two weeks and soon they were out to buy more fruit. She wasn’t sure how long Helena would be gone, so Karma decided not to buy as much fruit this time. She only grabbed enough to sustain her until Helena came back and gave Karma what she really wanted.

Helena had always been nice to Karma since they first met. Well, Helena was a sarcastic a*****e, but she was still nice nonetheless. She knew about all of Karma’s crazy needs and cravings from the human blood as well as allowing Karma to live with her, supplying her with a large room with a bathtub to accommodate the Mermaid in her. Karma was glad to have a real home and make real friends with supernaturals. Helena had always made sure that Karma was satisfied, whether it was blood related or not.

As Karma neared an available cashier, her phone began to ring, a soft noise from her back pocket. She slid it out, seeing a picture of Helena sitting on the piano, her head bent in frustration as her fingers slid over the keys. Karma had never heard anyone play so beautifully and she had managed to snag a quick picture of Helena before she ever found out. Pausing her music from her iPod, she answered the call.

“Yes?” Karma asked as she began to empty out the basket onto the belt.

“Karma!” Helena’s voice was quiet, but Karma could hear the relief in it. “Oh good, you’re alive.” Karma laughed softly, shaking her head.

“Of course I’m alive, stupid.” Karma shifted her weight over to her right leg. “So, humor me, Helena. What is it about this ‘last-minute meeting’ in the New York?”

“Ah, so about that … You see, the Vice President of Unity wanted me to come visit her so she could let me know that time is running out and that I have to get married by the Unity and bear children for my lineage, since I’m supposedly still under their rule. Apparently the papers I submitted ages ago are invalid.”

“Oh, you were right about that. And ew about the marriage and children,” Karma said as she slid the credit card Helena had gifted her. The cashier handed over the receipt and smiled as Karma grabbed all of her bags and carried them off.

“Ew,” Helena said, “is right, my aquatic friend.” Karma laughed. Helena never really talked about her love life, but she had mentioned that the Unity was pretty strict on arranged marriages. Although many lineages were beginning to stray away from the ideas, the powerful lineages still liked to marry into other powerful lineages. Helena wasn’t bad when it came to kids; but if she could avoid them, she would. “I’m going to try to shorten my stay here and go back to Seattle as soon as I can so that I can properly feed you and keep my apartment in order.” There was a slight silence, and Karma knew that Helena was figuring out what topic to bring up next. “You do know that we have a mild Imprint going on, right?” Karma sighed. That was the word.

“Uh, yeah. Like, we have this connection?”

“Yes,” Helena replied, her voice tapering off slowly. There was banging in the background. “You can feel what I feel and vice-versa.”

“Yeah!” Karma said as she neared the sidewalk, the bags tapping against her thighs. “I forgot what it was called.”

“It’s fine. You’ve spent a lot of your life in the water. Just know that I’ll know when you’re feeding on a mundane, so don’t try to pull something.” Karma smiled and nodded to herself. “I’ll also know when it’ll break, so no freaky stuff in my apartment unless we talk about breaking it, okay?”

“Alright, mom. Everything will be under my control, I promise.”

“Good,” she said, the tone of relief back in her voice. “Well, I have to go now. I’m going to have a nice dinner with my aunt, her husband, and three sons whom I haven’t seen in over four years.”

“Have fun,” Karma said in a teasing voice. Helena laughed, holding the phone away from her mouth as she responded to someone in her native tongue.

“Yeah, that’s not possible. Bye.”

“Bye!” The line clicked, Karma sliding her phone back into the pocket. Popping in her earbud, she smiled again. Helena was kind of like a big sister that Karma lacked in her life. Even though Karma was centuries older than Helena, the wisdom Helena carried with her surpassed the wisdom of Karma. Helena was always looking out for her, making sure she was safe and cared for.

Or … maybe it was the Imprint at work?

Either way, Karma didn’t mind whatever was causing Helena to be nice. But, she knew that this Imprint wasn’t going to last very long. Karma was going to have to find another Vampire to Imprint with and mate. Or, possibly just get one of those little human things that weren’t against the rules of the Unity and the Elders ..

A human subjugate said a little strange voice that sounded oddly like Helena. It is me, you dumb fish. Ouch.

Wait a minute, Karma thought to herself. Did this mean that they could communicate telepathically with each other?

Yes, this does mean we can communicate telepathically. Try to keep your thoughts under control, okay? Don’t be surprised, though, because I just found this out myself. You know, after I admitted that were Imprinted.

No worries! Our secret is safe with me. There was no reply. But she could still feels Helena’s presence inside of her, like another tab open in her mind. Karma tried taking a peek inside of Helena’s head but was greeted with a painful headache. Helena was going to have to teach her that trick.

With a soft and defeated sigh, Karma stepped onto the Monorail and made her way back home.



© 2014 Karina Gomez-Castillo


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

130 Views
Added on July 29, 2014
Last Updated on July 29, 2014
Tags: chapter three, dark paradise, inside supernatural, teen, young adult, cassandra clare inspired, fantasy, fiction, novel, romance, sicarius, supernatural


Author

Karina Gomez-Castillo
Karina Gomez-Castillo

El Paso, TX



About
Hi, my name is Karina. I'm nineteen years old and I've been writing since I could write. Currently, I'm working on a book by the name of "Dark Paradise" -subject to change - in a three part series cal.. more..

Writing