A New Beginning

A New Beginning

A Chapter by Benji Butler
"

This is the first look into the life of Allen.

"
June 15, 1965

I got my draft notice today, Lord knows I've been dreading it, but it's finally time. I've got two weeks to call the recruiter and acknowledge the draft notice. Mom's not gonna happy about this. She knows I'm not built for this damn war, but I have to fight it anyways.

"The war in Vietnam is becoming more deadly by the day. Yesterday, 17 American soldiers were ambushed in a standard walkthrough of a remote village just outside of Saigon, none survived the attack. We will update you with information as it becomes available," Allen heard on the television in the next room, as he packs his duffel bag with clothes for basic training. He walks downstairs into the kitchen to see what his mother, Lou Ann, had cooked for dinner.

"Hey mom," said Allen, "what'd you cook?"
"Ham and mashed potatoes, honey," she responded, "you know, I don't like this whole draft deal. I think you need to stay home and go to college."
"I wish it worked that way, mom," Allen replied.

Allen sat down at the table to read the draft notice again, as he had done many times, making sure that he understands all of his orders. He'll be leaving on the first of July to Fort Benning, Georgia for basic training.

"Look at the bright side, mom," Allen said, "maybe the war will be over before I get out of basic." He often used this to comfort her, even though he knew the situation was too dark to have an end in sight.

"Let's not talk about it," Lou Ann eventually replied, "go get washed up before your dad gets home."

Allen went to the bathroom and washed his hands, and he noticed something laying on the counter, his brother Matt's state championship ring. Matt was a thriving football star, he recieved scholarships to Ohio State and Notre Dame before he got drunk one night and crashed his truck, permanently paralyzing him from the waist down. He still spent a lot of time on the field, always trying to find a way to play football even with the way he is.

Allen found himself admiring the ring, perhaps he was admiring his brother's accomplishment.

"Allen, come on, your father's home," Allen hears his mother shout from the kitchen.

Allen quickly greeted his father, Arnold, and he sat down at the table.

"Where's Matt?" asked Arnold.
"He's at the field, where he always is, "Lou Ann replied.
"That boy can't stand the fact that he can't play football anymore, "said Arnold.
"I still can't believe he tried to drive home that night," said Lou Ann, "that's not like him."

Allen chose not to ask about the ring, assuming his mother found it lying around somewhere.

"Allen, when are you leaving again?" asked Arnold.
"July the first," Allen responded.
"I think you'll do fine in basic training," Arnold said, "and hopefully the war is over before it's done."

Allen could only wish.


© 2014 Benji Butler


Author's Note

Benji Butler
Once again, ALL CRITICISM IS WELCOME!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

this was the first chapter i read from you, so i dont know if it was the first or not. the chapter, from what i have read, was pretty good. however, some more detail into the story as to how exactly Allen is feeling (with the exception of his dreadfulness towards the recruiting letter) with the whole situation as going to Vietnam with the probable chances of ending up KIA would prove to be a great addition to the chapter as well as other specific details like why did he have to go to war or his thoughts on the war, or even the thoughts and emotions to his family would also prove to be a great addition.

in other words, more details and youll be good to go.

this sounds like a good book in the making. i have hopes of reading more.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

115 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 29, 2014
Last Updated on June 29, 2014


Author

Benji Butler
Benji Butler

Elizabethton, TN



About
Well, I'm a very big Avenged Sevenfold fan, and I love writing. I hope you all enjoy it, too! more..

Writing