Moment of Clarity

Moment of Clarity

A Poem by Bennyb15
"

This poem is about the negative effects of alcohol on a persons life.

"

Moment of Clarity

 

I wake up staggering and stammering.  People are laughing at my pointless chattering.  The strong remnants of my hangover still lingers. I can barely feel my fingers yet I’m still able to palm it.  I look down and I’m lying down in a pool of my own vomit.  The liquor numbs my body and clouds my mind, while I ignore the damages it causes in time.  My rum is done and it is difficult to swallow.  Inside I feel empty and hollow, and in no time at all I will find more alcohol to help me wallow and drown in my own sorrow.  Sometimes my stress becomes too much, so I turn to this vice as my crutch and pour out another glass and get smashed.  The contents of my flask enable me to handle the difficult task of dealing with my past and escape this reality that I can’t seem to grasp.  When I was younger and things were bad the only friends I had were Johnny Walker, Jack Daniels, and Jim Beam.  I had already lost hope so they helped me cope and salvaged what was left of my self esteem.  Whether it is peppermint Schnapps or top notch scotch whiskey, the alcohol helps uplift me to a place where my troubles can’t get me.  When I stop drinking I start thinking of how many friends and jobs were lost to my obsession with Smirnoff.  How by drowning in Moet did not end my troubles or erase my debt.  Once I drop this dependency to Hennessy, maybe I will see that the whole world is not my enemy.  I lived my life always asking why and how come when all along it was the Rum that kept me ignorant and dumb.  Drinking these boozes only helped me to lose and that isn’t fair to me, I can see this now with my moment of clarity.

© 2010 Bennyb15


Author's Note

Bennyb15
please follow me and share your writings on my site www.mysocialcorner.com
It a site that allows you to talk about anything you are passionate about in your life.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

definitly connect with this. quite brutal with words of vomit but still, the haze of alcohol covers this up, the clarity reveals the mess one can become.
perhaps the moment of clarity is the peak of a cycle, one repeats the drinking process over and over again, some may never "learn".

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

566 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 3, 2010
Last Updated on March 31, 2010
Tags: alcoholic, alcohol, drunk, drinking, drink

Author

Bennyb15
Bennyb15

Manhattan, NY



About
Ben Burgess Jr is the author of the award winning novels "Monster", "Wounded", the poetry book "Times Have Changed and Life is Strange" and the new novel "Love and Happiness" He is an active performer.. more..

Writing
Holocaust Holocaust

A Poem by Bennyb15