Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by CheshireCat

       I slipped into my new clothes, which consisted of size XL army pants that I had to hold up with a black leather belt; a black tank top and black combat boots with the Red Shield insignia on the side. All of the clothes were most likely extras that nobody needed at the Red Shield headquarters. I didn’t mind though, I had a feeling I’d be wearing them for a while and would eventually grow into them.

          When I was done changing and combing my hair, I went back to the kitchen to look for Officer James. He wasn’t there, and the whole room had been scrubbed clean. He was definitely not the average human male.

          After half an hour of wandering around looking at what I assumed to be his paintings, I found one that really captivated me. It was a plain black canvas with a little girl in the middle holding on to some sort of being. It looked like a giant rabbit from far away, but upon closer inspection the figure began to seem more human than beast. It was beautiful at the same time as it was eerie.

          “So you like that, eh?” A deep but friendly voice asked behind me. I swirled around and stumbled back a bit. In front of me stood my new ‘guardian’, shirtless and hair dripping. He had on black army pants and knee-high boots. His belt buckle was the Red Shield insignia, just like the one on my boots.

          “Umm… Yeah… It’s… Cool.” I grinned awkwardly and then turned back to look at the painting.

          “I made that one when I was still in training for Red Shield. Those were the toughest three years of my life. But hey, I made it through. Besides, I think it’s made me a better person, you know?” He said, pulling on his Red Shield t-shirt.

          I rolled my eyes. “You sound like an info-mercial.” I turned to look at him. “You’re quite the fan of Red Shield, aren’t you?”

          Officer James shrugged. “It keeps food on the table and clothes on my back. Can’t say I complain.”

          “Yeah, I guess… So where are you going?”

          We,” He corrected, “Are going to RS headquarters for training.

          “Why do I have to go?” I sighed.

          Officer James put on his heavy looking Red Shield army coat and grabbed his huge gun, I wasn’t sure what make and model it was, though. “Because Doctor Ebron told me to pull you everywhere I go, so let’s hit the road.”

          “Does this mean I have to go to the bathroom with you too?” I asked and stuck my tongue out at him.

 

          “Who’s this pipsqueak? Not another orphan I hope.” The fat man at the RS front desk looked over me in a disgusting manner. Then he grabbed a huge turkey leg and tore into it with his yellow teeth, grease running down his chin onto his shirt.

          Officer James slammed one hand on the desk and grabbed the man’s collar with the other. Then he snarled, “You watch yourself Rice. Another comment like that and I’ll tear you to shreds, you hear?” Then he let go of the terrified tub of lard and put one arm around me. “Don’t listen to him, he’s just a looser with nothing better to do than eat day and night.” I nodded, tears welling up in my eyes. He wiped them away and gave me a warm smile.

          “I bet she killed her own parents… She looks like a juvenile to me…” Rise uttered as we were walking away. James sat me down in a chair in the waiting room and then stormed over to Rice, fists clenched.

          “I warned you, Rice.” He snapped.

          “What are you going to do? Cry on me? You’re nothing but a wimp, James. Always have been. Just. Like. Your. Father.

          That’s when Officer James snapped. He pulled Rice out from behind the desk and slammed him to the ground. Then he put his boot down on the lard-beast’s jiggly neck and held his huge gun to the man’s forehead. “Apologize. Now.” He hissed and it almost looked like his pupils had turned into tiny black flames. There was one man I’d never mess with.

          “I… I’m sorry… P… p… please don’t kill me!” The looser begged with tears streaming down his fat cheeks.

          “ This is the last time I’ll take your crap. Next time I won’t let you off so easy.” Officer James released his grip and came back over to me. “Are you ok?”

          I nodded.

          Rice ran back to his desk and yelled unintelligible words at us, but we kept walking, heads held high.

 

          Later that day Officer James introduced me to some of his RS friends. Their names were Ryan (a crazy red-head, probably Irish), Ichi (very handsome Japanese guy), and Bruce (also a very handsome African man with the creamiest brown skin you’d ever see). They cooked spaghetti Bolognese for me since that was my favorite food, let me play video games such as Fallout 3, Burn Zombie Burn, Corpse Killer, and Dead Head Fred with their ps3, and finally took me down to training in the afternoon.

          “Don’t touch anything. Everything here belongs to Red Shield, and if any of it breaks I’m responsible.” Officer James warned me.

          I smiled. “Don’t worry. I won’t do anything. Ill just go sit over there and watch.” He nodded and I went to sit down in the corner of their training hall. They were shooting at dead zombie corpses hanging from chains. It looked rather gruesome but nevertheless really entertaining.

          Officer James shot his zombie in the head, Ryan shot his in the chest, Ichi in the stomach, and I won’t even say where Bruce shot his. Once they were done with that, they began hand-to-hand combat, which mainly consisted of karate and taekwando moves. After they were all dripping with sweat, they came to get their water bottles from the cooler I was sitting on.

          I took the opportunity to ask one of them a favor. “You guys were really good out there! I wish I could do all that…”

          The four men looked at each other. Bruce was the one to speak up. “Whatcha sayin’ kid?” He bellowed in a friendly but cautious voice. He knew that I had a hidden agenda with my question.

          “Well you see… I’m a girl… and we don’t really have much to defend ourselves with when we get in trouble…” I wiped away a tear that welled up with my past memories. “So I was thinking, could one of you guys teach me a couple moves?”

          My tear had obviously turned each of these muscle machines to butter. “I’m sorry kid, I can’t. I have way too much to do as it is.” Ichi apologized sincerely.

          “Me too. I’m sure Ryan could.” Bruce suggested, glancing at his freckled friend.”

          “I’m afraid I can’t do that lass. I’m in charge of a whole squad. They don’t give me many breaks.”

          “I’ll do it.” Officer James said. “Heck, you’re bunking with me anyway, might as well share some knowledge.” I beamed and he ruffled my hair. “Let us finish our triaining and I’ll take you out to the basketball court for a little one on one practice.”

          “Sweet!” I tossed the men their bottles and they went back to working out.

 



© 2009 CheshireCat


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
Added on October 11, 2009
Last Updated on October 12, 2009


Author

CheshireCat
CheshireCat

Austin, TX



About
My name is Charlotta Bergius and I personally think it's safe to say that I'm addicted to writing. I mainly write fantasy stories e.g. vampires, werewolves, elves, demons etc. Most people would tag my.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by CheshireCat


2 2

A Chapter by CheshireCat


3 3

A Chapter by CheshireCat