The Prologue

The Prologue

A Chapter by Symmie
"

A brief glimpse at my new book, The Uprising

"
Prologue
We stood in a circle, the five of us. For a spell, no one spoke. What was there to say? The only sounds were the rain beating against the flimsy tin roof, and of Lazo, in the corner, moaning quietly while Sabi nursed his wounded hand. 

Dietz, surprisingly, was the first to speak.

"You guys realize we have to do something, right?" He spoke softly, as if trying to hide the tremor in his voice. But we all heard it.

Suddenly, Felix kicked over an empty crate, making all of us jump. "And what exactly do you propose we do? We're already exiled, thanks to your brilliant rescue plan! We have no food, a poor excuse for shelter, and no allies. Face it, man. We're screwed."

"Always the pessimist, Felix," Sabi clucked from where she was crouched on the floor. "You're forgetting one very important detail. We have each other."

I rest my head in my hands, trying to drown out the emotions that are threatening to rise over my calm exterior. I want to cry, to mourn all that is now lost to us. I want to weep for the families and friends we have lost, for the innocent people sacrificed in the Spectrum's blood-lust, but most of all, I want to weep for those of us who remain. For our illusions of hope and peace have been shattered, leaving only trails of anguish and despair in their wake.


© 2011 Symmie


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very good start. good amount of detail, just enough to mke yo uwant to read on. great job.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

98 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 26, 2011
Last Updated on August 26, 2011


Author

Symmie
Symmie

Rochester, NH



About
I'm twenty years old. From a small town in New Hampshire. I am enrolled in college, as a full-time student. Writing is my passion and my life, reading goes hand-in-hand with it. more..

Writing
The Uprising The Uprising

A Book by Symmie