growing suspicions

growing suspicions

A Chapter by blake9z




Chapter two :

Coen hastily paced around his room, his cyan eyes scanning the disheveled surroundings with a panicked expression .
He heaved a sigh and lowered his gaze , towards the chipping brown floor, his lips twitching in chock at the sight : his belongings were sloppily scattered across the spacious ground , occasionally forming an asymmetrical pile of junk that mockingly peeped right back at him .
Coen shivered and carelessly fixed the loosening bath robe around his dripping body before retrieving to the left corner . He sank into his opaque club chair, chin thoughtfully rooted over his buckled hands .
" how the hell will i finish packing this stuff before night fall ... It's useless ".
Coen sat there for a moment , contemplating recent events with a bland expression .
"A shifter huh ..." He whispered to himself , eyes landing on the wrinkled application form placed on the bed side table . He blinked heavily , having rested for merely two hours since he's came back home . " shoot , I'm sleepy !" he breathed before burying his head into the low chair back .
"Where is that brat" came a grouse from downstairs . Coen recognized his father's husky voice and languidly scooped himself to a straighter position.

the sound was approaching and It wasn't long before his father bursted into the room , frying pan in hand and a flowery apron tied neatly around his front .
He scrutinized the room for a moment , then flashed a censorious glare towards his son . Coen stared back , internally debating the odds of him speaking without being whisked and thrown out the window . He knew he had to act once his father's right eye started ticking madly ; Coen sloppily flashed an abashed smile .'Oh great! He's armed !' he mentally screeched , growing paler .
The man furiously smashed the frying pan against the nearest wall , struggling to maintain his temper . He made his way steadily to the window , lifted the blinds and sprang it open with a swift movement , admitting wintery air into the dusty room .
At length, he started approaching his son with the frying pan still firmly planted against his palm when he suddenly came crashing to the floor .
"goddamn" he howled incredulously , eyeing a shoe that lay dangerously on the floor near his foot " COEN !" .
His son jolted to his feet , feigning innocence while fruitlessly taming a smile that played around his mouth .
The father coughed slightly after regaining his composure , his face flustered and his lips pursed : "you took a shower an hour ago" he began , nursing an injured hand : " I was getting impatient ... And why on earth are you naked ? " he added , pointing a gloved finger at Coen's now loose bath robe .
"It's my new fashion statement " The son teased with a shrug . Coen found himself shamelessly parading around his room with exaggerated slowness, flaunting his slim physique before tripping over another pair of his shoes and landing not-so-gracefully on the floor .
The puzzled look on his father's face soon relaxed into a genuine grin " serves you right" he mocked , mimicking his son's slow movement towards the door .
"Wait" cried Coen before his dad was out of sight " help me find some clothes ...please ?"
The man sighed heavily and shook his head , he retraced his path and dived into one of the numerous piles of junk . Coen could faintly hear him hiss and curse in a half tone but thought better than interfering .
It was fifteen minutes of struggle before the man's head popped up , gasping for oxygen. He threw whatever items he found into his son's face and straightened up , feeling rather pleased with such an achievement so early in the morning.
" hurry up , breakfast is almost ready ... Oh and Coen , I need to speak to you about something rather important .." He trailed off , smiled candidly at his son and faintly closed the door behind him .


Coen stepped out of his room half an hour later : Hair dried and handsomely combed back , breaking around his ears and loosely reaching the back of his neck .
He stuffed his hands into his pockets and skipped down the stairs .
" let's do this !" He cheekily cheered in a singsong voice .
It wasn't long before he reached the kitchen .Coen clutched the doorknob which yielded almost instantly to his grip and clumsily pushed the oak door forward . He made his way inside the medium-sized room which , compared to his own , was more meticulously handled . His dad found pleasure in elegantly equipping the kitchen .He kept it clean and convenient , since he was largely the only one using it .
The son hurled the door shut with one leg and presieved the old man: he was rooted before the oven , looming over a pan cake in deep concentration .
"Ummm dad ?" Inquired Coen hesitantly . He took a seat around the oval dining table and awkwardly waited for his father to take notice of him.
" when you add a generous portion of dried fish skin and a hint of grant black pepper into the ingredients , it adds a sizzling flavor ." He remarked , turning around and placing a plate before his son ." Voilà !".
" are you sure this is edible ?" Coen bluntly asked, eying the toned pan cake suspiciously .
"Fine , be a crappy son ." Murmured his father , slightly offended . He immediately shifted the dish to his side and fondly gazed at it .
"I don't think I will finish packing on time ." Blurted Coen with a pout .
"No wonder ," chuckled the father sarcastically , helping himself to a generous gulp of his coffee " with that dump you have for a room .. . When are your friends coming ? "
"No idea . But knowing them , I'll probably end up handing my paper alone " .
His father was growing increasingly apprehensive . He gazed at his own intertwined hands for a while , studying his words carefully before speaking " how do you feel son ... About all of this ? Are you ready ? Do you need advice ? Do you have any trouble ... I know I'm not the best dad out there but.. I want you to know that I really care for you and your safety .. You don't have to go if .."
"Dad !" Coen interrupted , making sure his father saw the confidence in his gaze . " I'll do fine ... Don't worry , besides , I'm one of the small number of rookies that pulled through the training phase "
" you were in the bottom two !" The man stated with a frown.
" ...that's not the point " . Coen scoffed , disregarding the blush of shame that tinted his cheeks .
" listen son , people lose their lives during the exact same test . I just ... I just don't want to lose you too .."
" I promise I'll come home safely " vowed Coen with a hand securely placed on his chest . " I'll write letters ... ALL THE TIME .. You won't even notice my absence "
The father perked up an eyebrow and took a sip of his coffee .
" can I ask you something then dad ? It's a bit ...intimate " Asked Coen , slightly nervous . The man's eyes widened considerably .
" of course son ... wait don't tell me you've finally fallen in love with somebody... Well ... Don't worry I'm especially experienced in matters of the heart ... Is it Silver ? I've seen the way she looks at you Coen . Listen , I might be old ... but your mother and I ..."
" RELAX DAD , you're ranting " cried Coen , getting exponentially uncomfortable " furthermore , Silver ?? Cut me a break old man ... We're frien... I mean acquaintances ! Jeez ... Anyway , I only wondered if you knew something about the shifters' history ... Before the exam that started seven years ago . I couldn't find anything about our kind's origins or accomplishments in any books that we own. Now that I mentioned it , there was nothing about this city in the library before that time . Isn't that a bit strange ? "
The room fell into heavy silence , both parties eyeing each other with an equally stupefied expression .
" w-what ?" mouthed the father stiffly . He readjusted his position , tightening his grip around his cup of coffee . He was so taken aback by the set of questions that his mind failed to register what his son demanded .
" Well " retraced the boy slowly " what were we before these past seven years ? even though you've been living here your entire life , you rarely ever talk about your childhood ,your past , hell nobody ever does ... We have no written history that traces back before then ... I'm just curious you know ? How come you've never explained mom's death to me and why is there a damn wall separating us from the outer world ? Dad , what happened back then ? Even though I was eight at the time , whenever I try to recall earlier years .. my mind goes blank . And It's like the entire city is hiding something ..."
"Listen son " the man started , facing Coen with the utmost business" I am in no place to share that knowledge with you ... You may worry about it later , once you've passed the exam .Just don't dwell on the matter any further , things will be revealed for you with time .."
"But why ?" Coen insisted , eyes pleading and frantic .
" Don't push me son , you'll hear about it sooner or later ... It's not such a big deal anyway " faking a chuckle " It's all fine ... And concerning your mother , I keep telling you she died from a progressive lung decease . "
" seven years ago ..." Added Coen , still not appeased . He was positive something was amiss , yet refrained further interrogations. He sighed exasperatedly and blankly stared out the window .
"Coen..."
"It's fine" he assured , abstractedly scratching the back of his neck " you said I'll figure it out sooner or later right ? I'll wait and see " .
Any deeper communication was halted as the sound of the entrance door bell erupted from the hallway .
"They're here" Coen lipped . He smiled briefly at his father , before excusing himself and sprinting to meet his friends .



© 2014 blake9z


Author's Note

blake9z
As always , reviews are loved and appreciated.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

86 Views
Added on April 20, 2014
Last Updated on April 20, 2014
Tags: chapter fantasy humor


Author

blake9z
blake9z

About
17 years old ....A helpless sucker for fantasy and a crazed fanatic with a slightly diverted mindset.... so yeah ,nothing out of the ordinary! Hey they asked me to talk about myself !! more..

Writing