Murder at the baths.

Murder at the baths.

A Story by Andrew-H
"

this was a writing i had to write for latin, an ancient roman murder

"

It took me two days plan to kill a man. It took me one day to kill two more men. Three murders without witnesses in less than a week. It has been a year sense the butchery yet the memories are still so vivid, permanently engraved in my mind. I remember every single detail, every minute aspect. After slaughtering those men, I desire the ability to repress those memories. It will never happen. I prayed for their souls, I begged the gods to forgive me. However, after hours of reflection I concluded that the gods are not real. If there were divine beings, why would they allow a mortal as sick as I to exist? If they are real, I hate every last one of them.
                I‘m considered by many men to be a success and to be blessed to own the baths. However, I had always desired better than just owning flowing waters, I longed to meet the senators, the kings, politicians great heroes possibly my emperor, someone better than bloodied soldiers, feeble old men, and sick women vomiting begging to bathe in my waters.  After a year or so of so-called “success” I fell into depression and taught my slave, or to be more accurate my freedman. Cephalus, his name still disgusts me. He still acted as a slave, the spineless twit. No matter what he is, I taught him how to manage the baths; I taught him everything I knew for I planned to either flee to another place here on earth, or flee like a coward to the underworld. He grew intelligent, yet he became submissive. I was sober back then, depressed yet sober. I had control but it was not great enough.
                Cephalus ran the baths for me, but he never was a threat to my power. I had no responsibility; I had no reason. I came to realize the baths could function without me; they could function if the state operated them. My existence was meaningless. I ended the practice of watering down my wine. I let the wine inebriate me, so that I may escape the grip dejection had on me. It became amusing, the fact that soldiers were praising me; I was a drunken fool. It gave me a sense of power, the drunkard was on a higher plane than soldiers. This was how it felt for a short time, and then I was just a slave to my wine. Opium came into play for a short period of time, but that soon ended.
                A man of great stature eventually approached me and offered me a chance to meet the king Cogidubnus. I found that it was not a simple meet and great scenario. He offered a large sum of money for my compliance. I told him I would consider it. ,”I am proud to see that men of such great importance still have yet to be corrupted by fear and cowardice. I wish there were more men like you Memor,” He pressed his lips against mine whilst he pressed the hilt of a dagger into the palm of my hand. He left without another word. 
                I demanded Cephalus not bother me until I ask to speak to me and I stole away into my private chamber and contemplated my decision. Cogidubnus is a king. He is an innocent man. It was not my place to decide who lives and who dies. I then realized I would be in control of a man’s life. I would get my way. A king would beg me and I would refuse his wishes. I would be as a god. It was such a glorious thing, killing the man. I laughed. It was so great an idea; I would be a great and powerful man. My decision was final
                 I thought about bringing him into the baths allowing him to be there by himself and slitting his wrists as to make it look like suicide, the only problem was his lack of reasons and why would he kill himself in my baths. I thought about simple murder and burying the body, Cephalus would see something I know it. Drowning him was a ridiculous idea. My inability to plan this angered me. My anger spread evolved into fear, which grew into sadness, which cycled back to anger. My anger gave mental clarity. I was level headed, and realized I would only gain from this.                

                I sent for the man, Salvius. He hurried to meet me for our private discussion. I informed that I was willing to end the life of Cogidubnus and that I would need him to alert me before he arrived. He was pleased with my decision. I saw Salvius smile. His smile was quite pleasant, especially for the matter at hand. His voice was calm and reassuring. I longed to make this man proud; however, I was more interested in the excitement and the money. He informed me that the king would be in tomorrow, he had figured I would accept, so the king had come with him.
                I ordered no one come into my baths and requested my Cephalus to leave me until nightfall. I waited to great the highly distinguished king. He opened the doors and I fell to my knees bowing before his majesty. I was creating the illusion of allegiance and respect so that I would have time to compose myself. I took his toga, tunic, and regal jewelry. I assisted the old man into the waters. This was essential. However, this cursed man asked me to stay by him and talk with him. I was forced to oblige. He spoke of his life, of his friends, he talked of a boy named Quintus, of countless unimportant things, I excused myself. He did not question it, the foolish man. I gathered the dagger and returned to him. It began.

                I shoved my hand in his mouth as my toga fell revealing my tunic, he bit down and the red, red blood flowed out of my hand down his neck and body and into the bath. I screamed and hit his head with the bottom of my dagger. I drew back my hand knocking his jaw out of place. My blood fell from his mouth like a waterfall. I grabbed him by the hair and turned him around and made him look at me, “beg for your life you worthless corpse, beg me!”
                “I beg you have mercy on an old man,” he pleaded, his eyes so wide, his mouth open, his jaw crooked. I smiled could not stop smiling.

                “No,” I laughed. I slowly pushed the knife into his stomach and turned it sideways ripping his skin, the blood flooded into the bath. He was not dead yet. I was more concerned now with cleaning up the mess. The majority of the blood was drained away by the bath, but there was still the body here. I pulled him up and bit into him. I ripped his flesh off with my teeth. He screamed and begged even more. This day was perfect.
                After I consumed all his flesh and washed away all his blood, I gathered up all his bones. I began crushing all of these bones into a fine powder I dumped it all into the water. My task was complete. I waited for Cephalus to come. He returned and I informed him that the king’s visit went smoothly and he had returned to Salvius. Cephalus asked no questions and I allowed him to retire to his chambers.
                Salvius came the next day; he was satisfied with my works. He thanked me and started to leave my baths. ,”The money?” I asked, “Oh, what money?” he asked, “my money,” I replied, he laughed and asked if I would take him to court for not paying for the murder. I grabbed his le and let him fall face first on to the ground. I dragged him to the bath and told him to bite the edge. I stomped his head and crushed his teeth. I slit his throat and did not bother to wipe up the blood.

                “Cephalus get in here.”
                “Yes Memor?” Oh my God. Memor what did you do?”
                “Come with me.”

                Cephalus followed me into a densely wooded area where I ordered him to start digging. His bare hands dug a deep grave. He lay in his hole and I filled it up. He tried to stop me but I overpowered him.
                I went back and cleaned up the blood. Salvius’s body I cut and cooked to save for the next day. I had become sober, as almost a form of punishment. I started to run my own business. I have to live with myself. I have to see my reflection in the holy waters. Cogidubnus told me he has seen unspeakable acts of human’s evil. I have seen worse.  

© 2010 Andrew-H


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

138 Views
Added on October 29, 2010
Last Updated on October 29, 2010

Author

Andrew-H
Andrew-H

Clarksville, TN



Writing
No Worries No Worries

A Poem by Andrew-H


Alex and Mary Alex and Mary

A Stage Play by Andrew-H


Al Al

A Stage Play by Andrew-H