Al

Al

A Stage Play by Andrew-H
"

I wrote this when i was like 13

"

                           Al                                 

                                    Andrew Hulse

    (Apartment)

(Front entrance Brooklyn 1910 No one on stage but narrator)

Narrator: Al, the son of a barber and a seamstress one of nine children he was always a troublemaker as a matter of fact he was expelled from the sixth grade for disrespect to a teacher at school. He knew what he knew, he did what he did, he was what he became.

(Both enter from stage left)

Davey: Al, what are you doing? Are you moving?

Al: I don’t know I just need to get out.

D:  Are you sure you can make it on your own?

Al: I’ll be fine I’ll still have my friends

D: There no friends all they’ve done is use you. Might as well were a sign that says “shoot me”  

A: I’m sorry I just got to do this

D: Fine go and keep me out of this all. See you, have fun in your little games

A: Live with all you’ve got See you later might visit you

D: Right, I might come looking for you soon.

A:  I’ll be keeping low though you’re a tricky one, see you

D: Alphonse, You don’t have to do this (pauses) stay out of trouble Bye be safe, I know what you’ve done but, I guess I can’t tell you what to do, I’m sure you aren’t leaving just to get out. I see John outside, I guess he’s waiting but, he’s hurt people. Don’t be like him.

A: I’m not surprised, John is one tough b*****d. I didn’t get to tell my ma and pa bye, so can you tell them I left.

D: Sure Al. I guess you should get to John. (Davey exits stage left Al right)

(Street corner)

N: It’s the year 1914; Al’s gotten work and bruises. He got in a little skirmish over a girl as he was working as a bouncer he was left with a battle scar or two, right on his face. Nevertheless Al’s gone far sense he left home, in fact, he’s gone past working for Johnny (Al enters stage right heading left) now a man named Frankie is his mentor, who has been known to be demanding.

Frankie: (enters stage right and proceeds to shout) Al!

A: Yeah?

F: I need you to run a few errands

A: what I gotta do?

F:  First go to Richie’s and collect the money that he paid for our (pause) insurance then give him these cigars. Don’t get all crazy on him he already paid.

A: All right man (Frankie exits stage left and Al turns to exit stage right Davey enters stage right)

D: (In cop’s uniform. authoritative) Hey you. Come over here, do you mind to- Al?

A: How do you know my name?

D: We grew up together in Brooklyn. It’s Davey? Remember me?

A: Hey, don’t scare me like that, what’s with the rags.

D: I’m a cop,

A: You’re a pig?

D: is there a problem with that?

A: No it’s great, making an honest living

D: Hey you got something on your face.

A: Ah, yeah, it ain’t coming off, it’s a scar

D: (jokingly) what’d you do get in a knife fight, play with gangsters and I just might have to arrest you (laughs)

A: Pretty damn close, I was working in a bar, a women came in wearing a noticeably short skirt, so I approached her, and I said very kindly “your skirt is revealing, are you perhaps a harlot?”

D: Wow that’s horrible why did-

A:  I know, girls are getting more and more promiscuous every day but let me finish my story, the girls brother approached me with a broken bottle and slashed me in the face three times can you believe him.   

D: Did you catch his name or anything?

A: I didn’t stay and have a brew with him he wanted me dead, (laughs) so tell me how you’ve been (D exit stage left)

(Hospital)

N: Al was invited to Chicago by his old coworker Johnny, who received a large business empire from the untimely death of His Predecessor, a year later Al had complete control over it. After some while as a bouncer and later the manager of a saloon Al’s family all moved to Chicago. Following after his father’s death he had control of a large area in Cicero Illinois went to court multiple times. Times are getting harder by the hour. His brother was even taken by the police as he was interested in illegal activity. (J enters and lies in hospital bed) Soon enough Johnny was severely injured so his entire corporation was given to Al. Al was doing very well, 1925 was however the beginning of troubling times.

J: (Al enters left) Al, you’re going have to take over for me.

A: Johnny-

J: the North Side Gang, they want power. They got me. I wouldn’t be surprised if they came after you. I’m almost afraid to let you be in control. You know Al, I like you, and I know you can build this empire to the top. But soon enough, I’ll be leaving for Italy, a nice simple life in Italy

A: If you ever come back-

J: I’m not coming back; Al I can’t keep living like this, a gang is after me, a gang. Do you know what a gang is? You don’t want them shooting at you

A: Do you really trust me to be the man on top; I mean I can’t just do everything can I?

J: I’m sure you can, you’re smart, I Know you can. But Al, I need rest let me sleep

(Johnny exits stage right Al stage left)

 (The day before St. Valentine’s Day, Corner of a Speakeasy)

N: Davey no longer is a cop, but has found working for Al to be much more rewarding. (Both enter stage Left) His greatest help to Al’s business was in February 14, 1929. He received his orders directly from Alphonse on the 13.

D: Okay let’s make this short. What’s so important I needed to come down here at these hours?

A: Bugs.

D: Bugs?

A: Yeah, haven’t you noticed all the problems

D: What did Bugs do?

A: Interferes with my business and has inspectors swarming all over the place you know.

D: I get you, don’t worry I’ll have bugs gone soon enough. Al, we’ve been friends for a very long time, but you just don’t seem like yourself lately. Are you feeling alright?

A: I haven’t been getting sleep. Not since Johnny was shot. He asked me to stay with him before he left for Italy. That night He told me so much, about what people want to do to us, it seems like the world is on our side, but, they just aren’t I’m afraid Dave, I don’t feel safe anymore, I never know if you’re going to wake up when you go to sleep. I mean tomorrow I could go for a walk in the park and end up six feet under. You know?

D: I know what you mean, it’s scary. I felt that way when I was a cop, I guess this isn’t so simple either; I guess whether it’s by a gunshot or a heart attack you’re going to die.

A: First Johnny was shot then Frank, My brother died, And Frankie isn’t doing so well, I have a feeling that by tomorrow another guy named Frank will get shot. What time is it anyway?

D: 3:00 AM. Hey, you said something about wanting to take Mae to Florida, you should probably get going I’ll take care of bugs, so don’t worry (Davey exits stage right Al stage left)

 (Lexington Hotel)

N: There was a large conference later that year to bring competitors to work together. After the conference Al went to go see a movie. When it was over, police where waiting outside for him. He accepted his fate, he was released in 1930.  (Al enters stage left)

A: Davey what took you so long? Don’t you think I wanted you to get here as soon as possible if I was shouting in the telephone? I do not want you to take three hours

D: (enters stage right) what the hell were you thinking Al? God. Is anything in that head of yours?

A: I was trying to protect myself

D: You don’t protect yourself like that when the police are after you!

A: Calm down, I have an idea of how to get back all of my respect.

D: What? You were sent to prison and have a reputation as a hardened criminal now? Okay, tell me how you are going to get back your precious respect.

A: It’s hard times and everyone is losing their jobs and is sitting hungry in the streets, I hate to see innocent men and women suffer, more than seeing my reputation suffer. I know my brother didn’t run this business like I did, but he did keep it afloat. We obviously have enough money to open up a soup kitchen to feed the unemployed.

D: Alright, I think we can get started real soon but, I noticed two new aces around here-

A: Don’t worry. I hired two men, Graziano and De Angelo I told them what they need to know, but they do-

Woman: (Shout from stage left) Call For a “Snorky” Is that you Al?

A: I gotta take this one Davey (Davey exits stage right)

(Courtroom)

N:  Millions of dollars were lost with that call, as millions of dollars simply spilled out of trucks, product destroyed. (Judge and Lawyer enter stage left) in mid October in 1931 he was sitting in court knowing full well he was going to jail

Lawyer: Please tell the jury of the legality of your products

A: It’s not exactly legal, but prohibition has brought nothing but trouble. People love me for this, I helped people so much! You will never know how-

J: Calm down Alphonse, are you saying that millions of people idolize a criminal?

D: He’s no criminal your honor he’s a hero

L: Alphonse, can you stand to look at yourself in the mirror

D: Shut up! I’ll have you-

J: If you would like to continue to represent Alphonse you must calm down.

A: Your honor? May I represent myself?

J: Please, now, please tell me about this “St. Valentine’s Day Massacre”

A: Your honor, I needed a few men gone so a few of my workers did it, Bugs Moran remained alive although seven men died.

L: All together, how many men have you mercilessly killed?

A: I don’t know.

L: Snorky, I’m wondering, how much did you save by not paying your taxes?

A: my friends call me Snorky, not people trying to get me thrown in jail.

J: Answer the question.

A: Your honor I’m but a man trying to make it in the world. I’m no hero I’m not a villain either. I just give beverages to thirsty people and provide various services to the good people in America I know I’ll go to jail no matter what I say.

(Judge and lawyer exit stage right)

N: There is no way o disguising the fact that Al is a criminal, the leader of a gang, a racketeer. By saying that criminals do not deserve respect you are saying this man does not deserve respect, an honest businessman. Al was sent to a state penitentiary, later sent to Alcatraz, when he left he was a changed man, with declining health. He died February 25, 1947 of cardiac arrest, age 48 his grave reads “Alphonse Capone 1899_____1947 My Jesus Mercy”

 

© 2010 Andrew-H


My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

183 Views
Added on October 29, 2010
Last Updated on October 29, 2010

Author

Andrew-H
Andrew-H

Clarksville, TN



Writing
No Worries No Worries

A Poem by Andrew-H


Alex and Mary Alex and Mary

A Stage Play by Andrew-H