"In the Field Emptiness" Chapter 2

"In the Field Emptiness" Chapter 2

A Story by branbohann27 "Bohann"
"

cont.

"

Chapter 2: Aunt Val’s Greenhouse

(In the Field of Emptiness)

 

We traveled for hours. The trip was such a pain. Alex and Ally were quiet the entire trip. I was also completely silent as well. We all were ready to stop facing the trauma, of my father’s death, and clock back into our lives. We finally pull up to a house full of plants. We all exit the car, and I can see the amazement in my kin’s eyes as I hold the door of the car ajar. Is the amazement of the greenhouse representing new life, or was it like they were happy to be in this Canadian quarantine? Then all of a sudden Aunt Val withdraws from the green overly painted house. She approaches the car in delight. Wait until she hears the news. Stop Lacy just shut up and not think about that and move on to think happy thoughts. Be happy that we stopped in got those world’s largest burgers at that mall back in Detroit or maybe even think of the cows we saw in the countryside. Today is going to be a good day [my catchphrase]! Don’t think any different!


Aunt Val was about my mother’s age, and she is a full bodied Canadian like my mother. She has been here over fifty years at least. She was a Melrose just like the very maiden name of her and my mother.  I believe the Melrose women are the smartest women alive, and I am grateful to have that genetic code in my vines. But, am I second guessing myself now; is being a Carmichael just as a shameful as being a Melrose. After my mom killed my father, is killing right to me? Is murdering something to look up to? Or am I just a disgrace? I keep having the incident happen in retrospect. But I believe my mother is a good person, but I can’t put a label on strong women that tried their best not even my own mother. I honestly can’t define morals. What is better murder, abuse or rape? I will probably have to answer that later, but now I need to finish speaking of my Aunt Val. Aunt Val is a botanist, and a food scientist. She works at the North American Food Administration Canadian office. She is very funny and brings the most joy to our family. Her hair is so long and quivers like turnips at the tip. Her hair is so brown with glimmers of burgundy streaks at random zones in her quiver wave pattern. She is my mother’s older twin sister. She was very mysterious and a woman of such eccentricity. As I sit and babel in my mind to you all, out comes my aunt from the house. She approaches us and says “What a wonderful surprise, you guys look so grown up, you never called to say you’ll  be visiting” while I am hearing her vocals come out. “Omg I am so unprepared Anya” she says. “Omg Alex, Ally you’ve grown since last year so much and Lacinta oh my Lacy you’re growing into such a lady, and Anya I’ve missed you sis!” My mother then responds “Oh my yes Valerie so much as happen, I am scared to death.” Aunt Val then says “Oh my come in we will have coffee, and I’ll cook breakfast for the girls An.” Note to you all if it isn’t strange, my family calls my mom “An” for short for Anya. The after walk in the house on our trek amongst the kitchen, my aunt drops the bomb. “Where is Jack Anya?” Silence had wept the entire room!

 

 

 


“You did what, I thought you guys were ‘working things out’ An” Aunt Val replied. But in the back of my mind, was it true was Mom really going to have to tell Aunt Val the whole story. “He tried to touch my girls Valerie” my mother said. “He came into Alex and Ally’s room with a knife trying and forcing them into oral sex. I wasn’t going to let that b*****d whom I loved rape my babies nor kill them. I held the gun and gave him a chance, and then he attempt to stab her. So I shot him right there!” I can see how my mother was being very sad recollecting this information and informing my aunt. I totally understand that she didn’t want that to happen the way it did, but it did happen. I understand that Alex and Ally are still scared. I understand where they’re coming from, and how not only our father was shot, but how he bleed out and finally collapsed in our porcelain tub. The twins also don’t like to be touched, and I understand, but they won’t until they're older. I still don’t understand being 13, and watching my dad touch me! Why didn’t I tell my mother? Why am I stupid? Nope I said today is going to be a good day d****t! “You still can’t kill people Anya!” said my aunt forcefully. “Well I did and I cleaned up the evidence!” said mom. “Well I hope so, but I’ll help all I can, but I cannot help if this goes any further and there is still a chance that the FBI might be on your tail! You are not out of the woods yet Anya” said my Aunt Val. “I know, I know, but if something happens can you promise me something?” said my mom. I was at the kitchen door eavesdropping and being nosy, what is she asking Aunt Val to do? Is mom going to go to jail? No, then I won’t see her for the rest of my life and I can’t tell her the truth to move on! I retreat to the greenhouse and skip across the backyard. And I come back for a second and eavesdrop more! “Take the girls and raise them please, I won’t them to be the best, don’t let them go down because of me.” Aunt Val said “I most certainly will, you have my word!” I retreat back to the yard in a melancholy silence.

 

© 2015 branbohann27 "Bohann"


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nice writing. Thank you for sharing. Keep up on writing like this.

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

197 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 30, 2015
Last Updated on June 30, 2015
Tags: #RealisticFiction, #tragedy, #teen, #drama, #creative

Author

branbohann27 "Bohann"
branbohann27 "Bohann"

Chicago, IL



About
My name is Brandon Rapier-Childs. I am a college student studying Chemistry and part-time residential care staff. I am very outgoing and my second to third passion in disguise has been writing. I love.. more..

Writing