Understanding's Understatement

Understanding's Understatement

A Poem by Brandee D. Hack
"

About growing up with stress and pressures...

"
I wonder what it will take to make you understand, that all I ever wanted to do was make you proud. I don't think that I will ever measure up to what you want. You think that I am smart, and that may be. But, I only have certain talents and others I just tend to lack in. I just want you to understand that I am my own person. I just need a push to get going, but not a blockade of hate and yelling. I need to figure things out on my own. Will you let me be myself? 

© 2010 Brandee D. Hack


Author's Note

Brandee D. Hack
What do you think? HAve you ever felt this way?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I think we've all felt the way it feels to be under someone else's scrutiny. It's horrible and unkind. And it's too bad that we have to endure it at all. A good write.

Posted 14 Years Ago


WOW! i've certainly felt this way. since everything is on this subject, when your known as the intelligent one you have standards that you can't fall below. When you do it suprising to others.

Posted 14 Years Ago


I can certainly see your point, though in my case it was everyone around me who told me how smart and good I am, including my mom, who sometimes added something along the line of "but your dad was better...".
And I was always "a waste" - when I put my heart and soul into one thing, my mom would always point out how good I used to be in something else.

I guess our parents just want us to do our best, although I had a few friends who actually broke under that pressure, and once they got old enough to do what they wanted they just started abusing themselves to the point of no recognition.
The most important thing is to live your life for yourself, and not anyone else, while trying and understand why other people say what they say.
Parents, unlike other people, rarely have a selfish motive.

Nicely written, although for me personally it lacks some rhythm, but I think that it was intentionally written as spoken word.
What I would do different is write it line by line instead of one passage - it'll be easier on the eyes that way.
Do you have 3 cents? I only have nickels.. :P

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

146 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 3, 2010
Last Updated on January 3, 2010

Author

Brandee D. Hack
Brandee D. Hack

Ireland Co.



About
Hello all. My name is Brandee. I have wrote many different genres of writings for many years. I hope that by putting it up that that will help me get some feedback and constructive criticism. .. more..

Writing