Maine

Maine

A Story by Brandon S.

Maine

Maine's story begins long before the arrival of European settlers in the 1600s. Evidence of native people dates back to at least 3000 B.C, and Leif Erickson and his viking sailors may have explored Maine's coastline 500 years before Columbus crossed the Atlantic. English settlements were established along the southern coast in the 1620s, and in 1677 the territory of Maine came under control of Massachusetts. Following the revolutionary war, the people of Maine pressed for separation from Massachusetts,and in 1820 Maine entered the union as a non-slave state under the terms of the Missouri compromise ,most of Maine's population is concentrated in towns along the coast. Famous for it's rugged beauty,it is the focus of the tourist industry. Cold offshore waters contribute to a lively fishing industry,while timber from the state's mountainous interior supports wood product and paper businesses. Maine, a leader in environmental awareness, seeks a balance between economic growth and environmental protection. Acadia national park attracts thousands of tourists each year. The park includes Cadillac mountain, the highest point along the north Atlantic coast and the site from which the earliest sunrises in the united states can be viewed from October 7 through march 6.



Area

35,385 sq miles


Capital

Augusta


Largest city

Portland


Statehood

March 15, 1820; 23rd state


© 2016 Brandon S.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

69 Views
Added on July 23, 2016
Last Updated on July 23, 2016

Author

Brandon S.
Brandon S.

ME



About
I like to write Nonfiction more..

Writing
Bear Bear

A Story by Brandon S.


The Moose The Moose

A Story by Brandon S.