You, Him, Us

You, Him, Us

A Story by BrandyAlaya
"

This story is similar to the book and Tv show You. It's about a lady that moved to Europe because she had to flee the U.S. in order to not get caught. She then finds interest in a man.

"
It's been 6 months since I killed you. It's been lonely without you, but it's getting better with time. For 6 whole months, no one has caught my eye or piqued my interest. I'm trying to start a new life, in a new country. I'm trying to do better, Jake. I didn't mean to kill you! Your death was your fault! You did this, not me. I am sorry, though. I never wanted any of this. But I've started over. I'm out of the States now. I chose England as my new home. Cambridge, England. I have a new name and a new identity. I got a job at a bookstore downtown, and I'm making good money. I got a loft close enough to the bookstore, but coincidently, right down the street from him.
His name is Edward. He’s 22 and from Cambridge, England, here. He’s pale with hazel eyes, that look like caramel. His 6’2 frame towers over almost every person around him. You know I have a thing for tall boys, Jake. He always pushed his messy, brown curls back from his sweet face. He has friends, but not many, which I like. Not a lot of competition for his attention. Let’s hope we don’t have any problems with them, right Jakey? But I know what you’re thinking. I’m not going to kill him! I shouldn’t have to, should I Jake? Me and him will be better than us.
I’m walking up the steps to the bookstore when I suddenly miss a step. I would’ve landed face first if it weren’t for him. I found my balance again and looked him in the eyes. His caramel, brown eyes. “Oh my, thank you so much! If it weren’t for you, my face would’ve been flat on the floor right now.”. He’s laughing. He thinks I’m funny. Wow, he has dimples. “Well, I’m glad I was here to break your fall, Love”. Love? He loves me? Already? This was going to be easier than I thought. “Yeah, thanks again.”. There’s silence. Before I knew it, I was walking up the rest of the stairs. “Hey, wait! I didn’t catch your name, Love.”. That word again. Love. “Oh sorry, my name is Maria.”. “Maria.” he said. I love hearing him say my name. “Yeah, and you?”. I said that like I didn’t already know everything about this man. “Edward Thomas, at your service ma’am.”. He’s so cute. “Nice to meet you Edward.” I said while smiling, then ran up the stairs.
That was the start of a blossoming relationship with my Eddy. It had been 3 months since our interaction on the stairs. We’d started bumping into each other a lot more after that. I’d been to his house a few times. The first time I went, I found an old shirt of his, on the floor, that was just calling my name. I wear it to bed sometimes, to remind myself of him. The next time I went over there, I took a pair of boxers, his hairbrush, and an old picture of him when he was younger. He had to be about 10 years old. He hadn’t noticed, or at least hadn’t said anything to me yet, so I thought I was in the clear. It might be a little weird that I keep everything I took from his house in a pretty box, but I don’t care. I had a box with your things in it too, Jake. I still have it. Oh, I forgot. You already knew about that, given that’s one of the many reasons I had to kill you. Anyways, enough about you. Your death was your fault, don’t blame me.
I’ve found out a lot of new things about Edward like how he lightly snores in his sleep if he’s stressing over something or how his love language is not only expressing how he feels about me but also gift giving. His favorite color is black and his favorite dog is a husky, the gray ones specifically. His parents, Leah and Matthew Thomas have been together for over 30 years now. They met in a hospital after his mother crashed her car into his father’s. A true love story. He’s the oldest of 3 kids, a sister, and a brother. His family likes me, thankfully. That would’ve been a little problem I needed to fix. Not like that Jake.. I wouldn’t hurt his parents. I meant trying harder to get on their good side. Get your mind out of the gutter, silly.
For our 5 month anniversary, I thought it would be a good idea to invite Edward over for dinner. I made him his favorite meal, chicken and dumplings with a side salad. We had just finished eating when he asked me to give him a tour. I showed him the bathrooms, the laundry room, my office, and lastly, my bedroom. When we got in my room, my eyes scanned for anything of his I might have left out in the open. My eyes landed on something. His shirt. I quickly rushed over, snatched the shirt up, and threw it in my closet. Thankfully, I don’t think he saw anything. He turned to me and asked if I was ok. He’s so sweet. “Yep, I’m great!” I said hoping he hadn’t noticed his own shirt. He then sat on my bed. Now my heart is thumping so loud in my ear. I’m paranoid. His box is under my bed. I know right, dumb place to hide something like that. But I didn’t have to worry about that because he’s never come over. I smiled at him, slowly sitting down, and he smiled back. Keep calm and he won’t notice, right?
We were talking about the most random things when he dropped his phone. No no no. His phone went under the bed. Of course, I just have the best luck ever. As he reached down to get it, I started to think of all the possibilities that could happen, and my solutions to each. He grabbed his phone and came back up. He asked me why I looked like I had just seen a ghost. I tried to keep my composer, but I’m thinking. Thinking of how to move the conversation along. He also asked me what was in the box he had hit while trying to find his phone. No no no. I don’t want to have to hurt him, Jake. So, I told him it’s just a box of the gifts I got from you, my ex. Liar! Well, half truth. I can’t let him know everything, can I? He asked to see what was in there. I shouldn’t have said that. Why would I say that knowing that there would be a possibility that he asked to see what was in there?! I’m so stupid. But I can’t react. I reluctantly agreed. He grabbed the box and looked inside it.
What he found inside the box was some perfume, a few bracelets, a very expensive ring, and some pictures of us. You thought I didn’t have a plan? Jake, come on now! His things were at the bottom, covered under some wrapping paper. I sighed when I saw that nothing of his was seeping out. Though, I’m not safe yet. His big, slender hands are still rummaging around in the box. The wrapping paper is shifting a little too much. I could’ve sworn, for a split second, he looked concerned, but I thought it was just my nerves. He closed the box and we continued our endless conversation. My heart had slowed down. I can become more comfortable. We were in the clear, Jake. Or so I thought.
It’s been a few months since that happened. We’ve been meeting at my place more than his, but I didn’t think much of it. It’s been nice. I told you, Jake! I have nothing to worry about. We’ve gone on amazing dates and experienced much more than we ever had. His friends have been the ones making me paranoid. They keep looking at me like I killed their cat or something. I don’t kill cats. Why would I? They’re so cute! Anyways, I didn’t understand why, but I made it my mission to find out. And I did. I found out.
One day, we were watching a movie at my place. He said he was going to the bathroom, the one in my room. Weird, right? I know. He could’ve gone to the one in the hallway. But as I said, I was confident in me and him, so I didn’t mind it. After a few minutes, I became worried. I got up, went into my room, and knocked on the bathroom door. I heard a lot of shuffling, then he cursed. “Edward? Are you alright in there? You’ve been in there for a while.” I said while laughing. I thought he was embarrassed to go the number 2 around me. Silly me. His reply was questionable. “Ye-yeah! Everything’s fine, Maria!”. Maria? Why is he calling me by my name? Ever since we made it official, he’s only called me Love. Why didn’t he call me Love? That was his first mistake, and that was the only one I needed to make me question everything. I learned my lesson being delusional with you, Jake. I paced around my room for a while thinking about the past few months, seeing if I missed anything while in fairytale land. Think, think, think! The shuffling had started up again since he thought I went back into the living room. I halted. No no no. Jake, my worst fear. Our worst nightmare. He had the box. He had to have it. His box.
Too many thoughts ran through my head. How did he know? When did he find out? Who did he tell? Why didn’t I pick up on it? Stop! First things first, I need to check under the bed. What if all of this was just because I’m starting to get paranoid again? Rather be safe than sorry. I walked over to my bed, crouched down on the floor, and looked for the box. No no no. It’s gone. I stood up and glared at the door. Tears ran down my face. Why did he have to find the box? Why couldn’t he just let it go or pretend a little longer? I didn’t want to kill him, Jake. Why did he do this to me? Maybe I can just keep him here. His friends and family would be worried, but at least he’d be alive, right? Hmm. Decisions, decisions. What will I do? Wait! Where is his phone? I spent the next few minutes looking everywhere for it. No no no. He has it. He could’ve already sent pictures to his friends, family, or even the police. He could’ve told them everything by now. I have to kill him now, Jake. Oh, how I wish I didn’t have to. But I can’t let this stop me from doing what I had to do. I needed a game plan. I’m more experienced now after you, so it doesn’t take me long to think of my plan. He’s still in the bathroom when I finish setting up. Now I’m really sure I’m going to have to kill him. There’s a rug, on the floor, in front of the bathroom door, I’d tidied my room so none of my belongings would have his blood on it, locked my bedroom door, and waited.
After what feels like forever, he comes out of the bathroom slowly, dreading every step. He was surprised to see me standing there. His pretty hazel eyes looked at my hand, at the knife in my hand. He tried to look calm, but I could see right through him. Once he noticed that, he started pleading for forgiveness, and I wanted to forgive him. Believe me, Jake. I really wanted to, but I couldn’t risk it. I told him I loved him, and that he’d always be in my heart. I asked for his phone and found a conversation he had with his friends. He had doubts about us, about me. In the bathroom, he told them he found a box with his stuff in it. He then told them that when he got home, he would send the pictures. He said that it could all just be in his head. If he was smart, he would’ve sent them before I got to him. I’m glad he didn’t send them though. I texted his friends, ignoring Edward’s pleads, and told them that it was a false alarm and he was just overthinking. Almost immediately, they all texted back and said that he was annoying and that he shouldn’t say something like that until he knew for sure. After being in the clear, I looked at him again. I stared at him for a while, a little too long. I memorized every inch of him. I wasn’t going to see him again. I thought I wasn’t going to do this again, Jake! I can’t believe I’m doing it again. What I did next will hunt me forever. Just like your death has, Jake. I’m glad I was able to experience England with you. You will be missed dearly. Goodbye, my beloved Jake.
Hello, my love. It’s only been 24 hours since I killed you. Edward. My Eddy. It’s only been 20 hours since I cleaned up your blood and covered my tracks, for the second time. Those 4 other hours, I sat on the floor next to you, crying and contemplating what to do next. Specifically, what to do with you. But I’ve done this before, for Jake. So, right now, I am on a plane, heading to a whole different country, away from England. Away from you. I wonder where I’m going to go next. We’ll see won’t we, Edward?

© 2023 BrandyAlaya


Author's Note

BrandyAlaya
Ignore grammar or sentence mistakes please!
Let me know what you think :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

28 Views
Added on August 21, 2023
Last Updated on August 21, 2023
Tags: stalker, you series, short story