Handful

Handful

A Story by la_laland29
"

its not done, so don't get unhappy

"

                                     Handful: By Brianne Gravit

 

Ch1, ummm thats weird!

 

Before:

 

       “Poor baby, you’ve been through a lot today haven’t you.”

       “Yes, she has hasn’t she, and lets hope, this home won’t care what she ends up doing. Or at least won’t punish her for her actions when it’s not her fault.

       “Yes, lets hope, she should fit in here.”

       The teacher looked at the house and walked slowly to it. Here was their last chance, to give this little girl a home, where she would be taken care of. The teacher stood at the walkway of the home, lights off, a light breezed blowing. His slightly long hair blowing with it.

       “Here we go, hold tight little one, you’ll be fine.”

       The baby coughed a mini cough and starred at the man. She smiled her babyish smile, her eyes lit up, not understanding what was going on. The man laughed a quiet laugh, he lightly kissed her on the forehead, then without another motion or something else to say, he laid her lightly on the doorstep and rang the door bell.

       The man and the woman ran to the woods and hid behind a bush. They watched a woman come to the door and look down. They could hear the baby crying, which made the woman want to go hug her, but she held back.

       The woman from the door picked up the crying baby and went inside.

 

13 years later:

 

       “Samantha, clean up your cousins mess, he spilt his water all over the place.”

       I walked down the stair quietly and to the kitchen. My aunt was wiping the dishes, singing to some 80’s song by Madonna. I rolled my eyes at her and wiped up the big puddle of flavored water. My cousin, Sebastian, looked at me and laughed. And then when I was almost done, he dumped more water on the floor. So I picked up the Aquafina bottle and threw it at his bulging head. 

       “OOOOWWWW! What was that for, Salamander!

       That was his little nickname for me, but I had one for him to, it was, well, it’s not appropriate for this story, so anyway.

       “Mom, Salamander threw a water bottle at me.”

       “Samantha, stand up! What do you say?”

       “I say a lot of stuff, like how my cousins head is bigger than an air balloon, and how your taste in style and music is off by about 35 years, thats what I like to say, what about you?”

       I smiled, threw the towel down and walked away. I could hear my aunt coming after me. She took her hand, turned me around, and slapped me. She then, took her nails and scratched my face. It bled, I starred at her and screamed. The house started to shake and my anger started rising, my aunt backed away from me.

       My eyes were fire red, my hair blowing in the still air. I ran upstairs and packed all of my clothes. I ran down stairs, my aunt at the stairs, scared stiff. I jumped at her and she fell down shaking. I laughed and walked out the door.

       When I was abandoned at the doorstep of this house, there was a note. I kept it, why, because it said,

       If you need anything in the future, say these words and I’ll be there to help...

         Home is where I belong, home isn’t here, so I need your help finding my way.

 

       “Home is where I belong, home isn’t here, so I need your help finding my way.”

       I looked around and a man stood beside me.

       “I didn’t think I would be seeing you. You look, amazing.”

       “Ummm, thanks, I think.”

       The man held my hand, and said something under his breath, and thats when I got a good glimpse of him. His skin was white, his eyes a brown, his hair a bronze. I starred at him, he turned and smiled. Then a sudden flash of lights and I was standing in a yard, of a school. I looked around.

       Kids were all starring at me. Then a woman pushed past everyone and hugged me.

       “Oh, you’ve grown up so nicely, your so beautiful, and your eyes, so lovely.”

       “Okay, listen, who are you people, I need to know, or I’ll go crazy.”

       “Your face, it’s bleeding,” The man said.

       He had a gleam in his eyes, and the woman separated us by her body.

       “Phil, listen you can control it. Your a doctor, you’ve been one for....ummm....well.....one, two, three, four,.....three thousand, okay a really long time. But you’ve been through worse, don’t feed on her.”

       My eyes grew wider and I stepped back into someone. He wasn’t just a someone, he was a hot someone. He held his arms around my waist as if shielding me. He smelled like axe, I slowly got closer to him, because the man who seemed to be called Phil was now looking at me, hungrily.

       “Come with me,” the boy said, who had his arms around my waist.

       I walked with him, into a room which looked like a library. He sat down in a chair and starred at me. His eyes gleaming at me with a smile.

       “Everybody’s been waiting for you.”

       “Everybody, who’s everybody, better yet, where am I.”

       “Charleston heights, this isn’t a normal Jr. High by the way, it’s magical.”

       “Ha, okay, listen, ummm, dude, I haven’t believed in magic since I was little, and if I was saying anything magical, my mom, well adopted mom would slap me till it bled.”

       “Thought that you would think of it that way, well, I’ll have to prove it to you. Oh and one more thing, there’s not just wizards here, there’s vampires, ghost, and any other creature that you thought was fake, is here. Except the boogie man.”

       He laughed and took me to a hallway, apparently the boogie man thing was supposed to be funny. Didn’t think it was, but still not totally understanding what was going on, I laughed. He opened a door, which had two doors inside of the room.

       “The left one is mine, the right one is yours. Don’t be afraid to come into my room. Oh and well I almost forgot, my name is Darren. Yours?”

       “Ummm, Samantha, but call me Sam.”

       Darren looked at me and put his hand on my face. He took his hand back and looked at the blood on his hand.

       “What happened?”

       “My aunt, but I call her my mom. She got angry at me, because I said that her taste in music and style is off by 35 years.”

       “That doesn’t give her the right to abuse you.”

       “Yeah I know, and after she scratched me with her nails, something happened. I got really mad and then everything went red and I could only see her.”

       “Thats because your what people like to call a vampiric-wizard.”

 

 

Ch 2, You did not just say what I thought you did!

 

       I put away all my clothes and laided down on my bed, and then I noticed a sting on my arm I hadn’t noticed before. I held it and rubbed it trying to make the pain go away. It didn’t. I lifted my arm and starred at it, and on my upper arm was a scar.

       It glowed a yellow and then stopped. It looked like lighting. I moaned in pain, it stung. I laid my head back and moaned again. It hurt really bad, but I still sucked it up and dealt with it. And thats when I noticed a letter attached to my lamp.

       Well, that was stupid of me not to be able to notice that. I took it off and read it.

       Okay, your new, and the best way to meet new people just has to be PARTY!!!! And I would like to take you. Stop thinking about me liking you, because I like you as a friend okay. So don’t think about it that way. But knock on my door when your ready.

                            -Darren@

 

 

       “Wow, hmmm.”

       I walked to my closet and picked the tube top and jeans with wholes in the knee. I got my converse and walked out the door with my wallet in my pocket. There was his door, right there, knock on it. I’m not knocking on it, move hand, come on MOVE! Then the door opened and he stood there.

       “Heard you open your door, so I came to the door and waited for you to knock.”

       “Oh, yeah, about that.”

       “No need to explain, come on lets go.”

       But before we left he looked at me and what I wore. I heard him sigh, and then he took my hand and led me to the hall that was held for party’s. I could hear the music and it was rock. I slowly walked in and there was a bunch of people dancing.

       “I won’t leave your side, promise.”

       He looked down at me and smiled. He took my hand and walked me through the crowd. As I walked, I kept my eyes on him, I liked him, and I know this is stupid, but I had feelings for Darren, I don’t care how long we’ve only know eachother. Okay this is stupid, but you know that feeling you get when you think that person you like might actually like you I got that, stupid I told you. Then he started to say something.

       “Wanna dance,” he said smiling.

       “Yeah, sounds fun.”

       We started to dance, and that was the first thing that was fun. I saw him glance at my mark on my arm and look at it in surprise. But he said nothing about it. We danced and then a slower song came on. He put his arms around my waist. My cheeks automatically reddened and I felt stupid. I put my arms around his neck and danced with him. He was surprisingly light on his feet. ( For a guy that is.) I looked up at him. I laid my head on his chest.

       “Whoever said love at first sight was just a myth, let them see this,” he said under his breath.

       I laughed lightly and he tightened his grip around my waist. Later that night we went back to our rooms. We got to the two separate doors. I paused as I put my hand on the door.

       “I had a really good time tonight Darren. Thank you.”

       “Your welcome.”

       I walked over and hugged him. I looked up and looked into his eyes. He leaned closer. My cheeks reddened and I closed my eyes slightly. But then he pulled away, shaking his head.

       “Ummm, talk to you tomorrow Sam.”

       When he left I quickly checked my breath, but it smelled like the citrus gum I had been chewing. Hmmm, maybe I should change gum flavors. I shrugged my shoulders and walked into my room.

       “Hello Sam,” a voice said.

       “Hi whoever you are.”

       “Your not scared, what a waste of time.”

       “Oh I’m sorry, was I supposed to be scared, here let me try. Oh no, who’s there, ahhh, oh no. That good?”

       “Whats with you, why you so deppressed.”

       “I’ll tell you when you tell me your name.”

       “It’s me Phil, the person who almost attacked you.”

       I turned the light on and Phil was there.

       “AHHHHH! It’s hideous,” I yelled playfully.

       “Oh, now your scared, maybe I should have just kept the lights on and let you see my face first.”

       “Yeah, maybe, that would’ve of worked,” I said in between chuckles. 

 

Ch 3, Great and I woke up on the right side of the bed too! 

 

 

       I woke up that morning tired and with a major head ache. But I was in a good mood, which is really weird, I’m never in a good mood. I lifted my head and yawned. It was hard for me to wake up, but I had school. New school, new classroom, new people, and the scariest part, new teachers. I was never good with new teachers. They never understood me. I got my legs to move and I walked (really more like stumbled) and picked out my school uniform. We had these white dress shirts, ties, and a plaid skirt. I put on the uniform, not liking it at all, so to make it more me, I put my converse on and then looked at me. I approved everything, except my face. I quickly put on toner, eye liner, and mascara. There so much better. 

       I hurried out the door meeting Darren outside of it. I smiled politely and grabbed my back pack and threw it over my shoulder.

       “Good morning. Are you mad at me?”

       “No, I’m a girl I have mood swings.”

       “You know what I mean, did I do something wrong?”

       “No, why are you so worried I’m mad at you?”

       “I don’t know.”

       Darren showed me the way to my first class, the door was huge. It was, I think the word is, ummm, cast iron, I’m not sure. I opened it and walked in. The teacher was already teaching, how did I know I was gonna be late. Aren’t I smart! 

       Darren and me walked over to an empty table and sat down.

       “Good morning you two, get lost?”

       “No, I just got up late, It was my fault I was late, Mr?”

       “Mr. Harrison, Darren should have helped you find your way then.”

       “Well, he did, I just, ummm.” I looked over at Darren for help.

       “I took a wrong turn, it wasn’t Sam’s fault.”

       Mr. Harrison shook his head in disbelief, he walked up to the board and began talking about something I didn’t understand. Instead of the myths of fairy tale creatures, it was on humans. They talked about their discoveries and their weird myths. How strange, but not totally clueless. This was probably my most favorite class our of all of them.

       I walked out of the potions class and went over to Darren who was leaning against the wall waiting for me. But I got blocked by a group of girls who ran in front of me.

       “Hi Darren, how are you,” said a blonde in a baby girl voice?

       “Good, I’m actually waiting for someone.”

       “Who,” they all said in a preppie voice.

       “Her.”

       Darren pointed to me, and all the girls looked like I was an unwanted person. The girls looked at me and giggled. They had that surprised look on that screamed for help.

       “Her! Why? She’s a no one, and she’s not as pretty as us.”

       Darren walked past them and ignored their whines, pleads for him to come back. He took my arm and tugged me to the corner where the girls didn’t come to. He was breathing hard and his eyes were a dark red. This was the first time I had ever wondered what Darren was. Maybe he was a wolf, vampire, wizard, or something else.

       “Darren, Darren, look at me, please.” Darren lifted his head slightly so that he was starring into my eyes.

       “Darren, please talk to me.”

       “You want me to talk, louse my temper, and do something I would regret instantly?”

       “Darren I....”

       “Thats right, you didn’t, listen, I louse my temper easily. Werewolves do that, they have short tempers.”

       I starred at him, opening my mouth and closing it, not knowing what to say.  I looked over his shoulder, the girls were all laughing and squealing like pigs. I could hear them.

       “Listen to them talk.”

       “I don’t hear anyone Sam.”

       “But their like screaming.”

       “It’s quiet Sam.”

       Then something they said sent me on a rampage. I could feel heat rising in my body, and out of the corner of my eye, I saw Darren gawking at me. He held my arm, because I would have been over there ripping their pretty little extensions.

Instead, being smart, (like I am.), picked up a rock and threw it at one of their pretty little heads.

       “Ouch! Who threw that?”

       One of the girls pointed to me, I was laughing hard. They walked over to me, with their runway walk. One of the girls slapped me, and scratched me. Darren got in front of me and growled under his breath. I was overwhelmed with wanting to hurt one, I pushed past Darren and jumped on a girl. She screamed like a pig.

       I ripped hand full's of hair out of her head. She screamed and turned white. Her eyes became black and actually scary. She came up trying to bit my neck, but was pulled off by one of Darren’s friends.

       Darren held me in his arms, his arms tightened as I tried to get out. Darren’s friend held the girl I had attacked. She screeched loud and ear splitting. Phil came running out and automatically looked at me, his eyes were wide.

       “Seth, take Tina to her dorm. Darren you and Sam come with me.”

       I didn’t move. Darren tried to make me move, but couldn’t. Then I felt a sharp prick in my back and everything went black.

 

 

Ch 4, Okay, not funny, what do you mean, GODDESS?

       I woke up in my bed. Darren was beside me, looking at me, and shaking his head. Phil was over by the wall, staying out of the way. I looked at Darren’s arm, there were scratches that bled, and teeth marks. Had I done that, I probably would find out?

       “Darren, I’m sorry, I couldn’t control it.”

       “Samantha, Darren, I noticed something when you two are together.” Phil walked over silently, and almost scared me when he laid his hand on my shoulder.

       “Your marks, on your arms, their the same. And it’s ironic for it to happen this soon, but our God, Talatona, has chosen you as partners. At this age, it is very rare for it to happen. But Talatona must have a reason for doing so.” 

       Darren looked up from my hand and starred into my eyes. I could tell he was happy, or maybe it was just me and my stupid smile that made him smile. Either way I was happy with it.

       “Hmmm, or maybe it was just a coincidence.” He took a second and looked at us out of the corner of his eye. “And now you have to get married.”

       “What!” We both said together.

       “Knew that would get your attention, now stop gawking at eachother and listen. This is serious. Your marks, are important. This isn’t some stupid match up, no it’s worse. See the god has chosen you for something regular people would only dream of.

       “We don’t tell students this, especially when they are this new, but of course, we haven’t had this problem before. So, the point of me babbling on, and you guys not really listening, but pretending. Is that you guys, are our new god and goddess?”

       And again, he got our, real attention. Okay, I’m new this can’t be happening, at all, really? Okay, me goddess, oh look at me, I stick my pinky out when I drink my coca cola like some rich freak. I don’t think so, that is stupid. Oh look at me, I’m wearing jeans, how silly, let me change into my nerd dress, as I try to impress the prince of whats his face. (okay, I sound really irritated and I am, but come on, pinky out, long flowing dress, dream on)!

       “Phil, me and Sam, god and goddess, thats asking a lot isn’t it.”

       “Nobodies asking Darren, you’ve been chosen and there’s no turning back, what’s done is done and not over. It’s beginning.”

       “Wait, Phil, person who left me on a door step, look, whats happening, or beginning and how do you know?”

       “Your marks are glowing, and well you two seemed more attached.”

       Whatever, this is stupid, I still can’t get over, me a goddess, (LOL)! And me, Mrs. Darren, it is perfect. Phil left 30 minutes after our, wedding talk, that was scary. Me, 13, getting married, to a 14 year old. But it was Darren, no one more fit. I was able to leave my room the next day, and just who I wanted to meet, was Tina, outside my door.

       “What do you want, more beating?” She shivered at the thought, ha, scared.

       “No, I came to say, stay out of my way, because Darren won’t be able to hold me back from hurting you.”

       “You think, he’s afraid of you, or even likes you. Girl, you need a brain check.”

       “Yeah, you are. Oh and by the way, don’t speak about my parents that way, least my don’t do drugs.”

       I smiled happily at her (not really, more like I’m-gonna-bite-your-head-off face), and she stepped back. I met Darren at the bench, it was Saturday, wooh! He smiled politely and I smiled back.

       “I heard you.”

       “Me?” I asked, knowing what he ment, but acted dumb. “Oh, you mean her, and that, nothing.”

       “Oh, really. I believe you.”

       We stopped talking for a bit, then something happened I didn’t expect. He moved me closer to him, taking me by the waist, and kissed me. I felt my face get red, but closed my eyes and kissed back. I could hear Tina’s thoughts as she spotted me kissing Darren. Oh you should have heard her pretty vocabulary, it was an LOL moment.

       Not paying attention to Tina anymore, I wrapped my arms around Darren. His hand was on my knee {how romantic, <(^.^<) }, it was weird. I never thought he would do this, but maybe the whole, marriage, thing sparked something. I broke the kiss and took a slow but deep needed breath to get back to the real world.

       All he seemed to be able to do was smile, he kept his hand on my knee.

       “I’ve wanted to do that since I met you, and got really close to doing it, but was afraid.”

       “So I changed gum flavors for nothing!”

       “What, how did gum come up in any of this?”

       “Uh, never mind?”

       A few moments passed, with Darren trying to figure me out. Apparently I was hard to figure out. Then he started to speak again.

       “I want to take you somewhere special today.”

          I smiled and walked with him to his car. It was a dark blue Hyundai Senatra. It looked, new, just came off the lot, amazing! I got in and put the seat buckle on, for safety of course (no I’m not a safety freak).

© 2009 la_laland29


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Truthfully Brianne, I really liked your story, I thought the idea was good, the mixture of Harry Potter with Twilight and some other movie that I can't think of right now worked pretty well. The characters are likable and the dialogue is pretty good too. This is my first review so hopefully it's helpful. I just want to give you one tip, slow down a bit, sometimes it seemed a bit jumpy, the scenes got a little muddled. Maybe something that might help out is to close your eyes, picture the scene and try to describe it a bit more. For instance, the scene when the mom went up to Sam and scratched her face, it seemed a bit too fast, maybe add something the mom said, describe a bit more the look that the mom gave her, the bit of fear that Sam felt since this is obviously not the first time the mom was abusive. Watch your spelling a bit, and just add a bit more detail, describe things a tiny bit more, and never use LOL in your writing. Unless it's something that Samantha says out loud to be funny. Thanks for the read Brianne, I really enjoyed it, and for your age your a very good writer, you have tons of imagination and just keep that flowing.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Truthfully Brianne, I really liked your story, I thought the idea was good, the mixture of Harry Potter with Twilight and some other movie that I can't think of right now worked pretty well. The characters are likable and the dialogue is pretty good too. This is my first review so hopefully it's helpful. I just want to give you one tip, slow down a bit, sometimes it seemed a bit jumpy, the scenes got a little muddled. Maybe something that might help out is to close your eyes, picture the scene and try to describe it a bit more. For instance, the scene when the mom went up to Sam and scratched her face, it seemed a bit too fast, maybe add something the mom said, describe a bit more the look that the mom gave her, the bit of fear that Sam felt since this is obviously not the first time the mom was abusive. Watch your spelling a bit, and just add a bit more detail, describe things a tiny bit more, and never use LOL in your writing. Unless it's something that Samantha says out loud to be funny. Thanks for the read Brianne, I really enjoyed it, and for your age your a very good writer, you have tons of imagination and just keep that flowing.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

107 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 11, 2009

Author

la_laland29
la_laland29

Turner/Sorrento, ME



About
name:Bri Status: sick and tired of cheaters age:15 where I live: Maine (sadly) Where am I able to let go? I'm nothing more nothing less. My writing lets my feelings out. Stupid boys, cheaters are.. more..

Writing
No way No way

A Poem by la_laland29


Forever? Forever?

A Poem by la_laland29