5 Words

5 Words

A Story by Bri
"

5 words changed my life forever. 5 words took my mother away.

"

            The cold hospital air grasped my windpipe tightly, making it impossible to take even a small breath. I could feel the salty tears rolling down my burning face as I struggled to find words. It was as though time itself was standing still, like the moment would never end. I wanted it to end so badly, for it to all be some kind of bad dream. I wanted to wake up to the warm smell of pancakes being made, to the sight of her smiling face. Nothing felt better than sitting at the table together, savouring our breakfast, and laughing at how one of us had somehow managed to burn our fingers taking waffles out of the toaster. Indeed, nothing felt better than that, but nothing felt worse than this. The walls became a blur as I ran through the corridor, tears filling my eyes every time I tried to wipe them away. I could hear them calling after me, their voices ringing in the back of my head, but I didn't care. All I cared about was the feeling of fresh air on my face as I leaned out the guest lounge window and took a breath. People walked by and the sounds of sirens drew nearer and nearer until they were right beneath me. Another victim. I shuddered as I felt a familiar hand place itself on my shoulder. I knew that she was speaking, but the sound of my heartbeat flooded my ears, and nothing she said ever reached me. I turned to see her face as red as my own, streaked with tears that had been patted dry by a Kleenex. “It’s okay,” she said in exasperation. “It’s okay. It’s okay…” Her words trailed off, she knew she was lying. I spat out the disgustingly minty gum that I had been chewing for hours before finally breaking down. “I can’t believe it’s cancer.” I said softly to myself. “I can’t believe it.”

© 2013 Bri


Author's Note

Bri
Another class assignment.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

233 Views
Added on October 14, 2013
Last Updated on October 14, 2013
Tags: cancer, short story, very short story, descriptive writing

Author

Bri
Bri

Toronto, ON, Canada



About
Passionate. Opinionated. Precocious. Capricious. Toronto native. 18. Ask if you have questions! more..

Writing
Love In Time Love In Time

A Poem by Bri


Contemplation Contemplation

A Poem by Bri


Doubt Doubt

A Poem by Bri