A meeting is to be held.

A meeting is to be held.

A Chapter by Brittini Ennui

(Queen Anasa is at the bedside of Queen Aniba)

“You know what must be done. This matter cannot wait, with each day I feel my soul being tugged at by the earth. I am weak, but I cannot leave this plane until I know my people are left in good hands and my dynasty will continue untarnished.”

“Yes Mother I know.”

“Do you? What regard can a Queen who leaves her Kingdom in the grips of wolves hope to earn from the Gods?”

“Wolves?”

“Yes. Your children and their offspring run rampant throughout all 5 Kingdoms with hardly any reverence. They go about their daily lives with little to no concern for the future. This may be alright with you but I refuse to let the people of Mah suffer because of their incompetence!”

(Aniba starts coughing harshly)

“Rama, get the doctor!”

“Yes Queen!”

(Rama, The royal aid, runs to the next chamber, then returns with Akna, Queen Aniba’s personal physician)

(He gives her a special liquid and waves an amulet over her head. Her cough ceases.)

“This anecdote only offers temporary relief. She is very ill, and could be called home soon.”

“Thank you Akna.”

(He leaves and returns to his chambers)

(Anasa kisses the sleeping Aniba’s forehead then turns to Rama)

“Gather my children and every member of the royal court. I am holding a meeting at sundown, attendance is necessary no exceptions.” 

“…A-a-all your children?”  (she stutters over this)

“Excuse me?” (Anasa glares at Rama)

“Q-q-queen Aniba said to me earlier that from now on all prospective heirs were to be consulted in matters regarding the Kingdom.” (She bows and lowers her head)

“Raise your head Rama.”

(she complies)

Anasa fiercely slaps her with the back of her hand!

“GATHER MY CHILDREN, TAS, YULA, OM, AND GORIF! YOUR RULERS! UNLESS MY MOTHER DIRECTS ME TO DO OTHERWISE I WILL NOT HONOR PASSED ALONG ORDERS FROM A SUBORDINATE!”

“Yes Great Queen! Forgive my insolence!”

(She runs out of the chamber holding her face)

“Anasa? Anasa?”

(She turns around to a frail Aniba motioning for her to come closer)

“Yes Mother?”

(She motions for her to come even closer, her mouth now directly in the ear of Anasa)

“Speak to another one of my aids with rudeness and I shall have your tongue cut. Lay another hand on an aid and be sure the same hand will suffer the blade. Go against one more of my orders…and you will never live to disobey again. The Mah Dynasty has never known tyranny, and you will not introduce it. With or without your compliance, my orders will be followed. Leave my sight. I believe you have an important meeting to prepare for.”

(Anasa storms out of the Queens chambers)

 

Chapter 1 Scene 2

[Rama sets off on her horse to inform the heirs of the meeting, she arrives at Tas’ kingdom first]

(She walks in on an argument between Tas and Ulra, they don’t even notice her)

“Why is it whenever it comes to helping me there’s a problem but you’ll find a way to move mountains and capture the moon and stars if TQ or Jazo asked you?”

“There is no problem Ulra, I just can’t tomorrow, you know I already had plans.”

“Yeah, it’s so funny these plans didn’t exist until I needed you!”

“Whatever Ulra, I don’t have time for this!”

(She walks away from her, grabs her glass of wine and takes a long swig)

(Ulra mumbles under her breath) “Yeah you sure make time for that…”

“Excuse me?” (Her facial expression almost identical to  Anasa’s)

(Rama steps in)

“Sorry to interrupt but I have an important announcement from Queen Anasa.”

(Tas rolls her eyes) “Yes? What now?”

(Ulra heads for the door)

(Rama tries to stop her)

“Wait Ulra this concerns you also, The Queen has announced there will be a mandatory meeting held tonight at sundown.” 

“Well I have important business of my own to handle, I won’t be attending.”

(she walks out)

“I don’t know what to say about that girl.” Tas shakes her head. “Well, what is to be said at this meeting Rama? What is so important that it should be held at such short notice?

“I believe it is about the succession to the throne.”

(Tas’ eyes light up)

“Is she announcing the new leader?” Tas anxiously asks Rama

“I’m not sure-”

(Tas cuts her off)

“Because if so, I have to be fitted for a new dress, I can’t be seen in this old thing on the biggest announcement of my life.”

“Lady Tas I’m not exactl-”

“Oh Rama I know it isn’t promised to me but don’t you think the eldest child has birthright to the throne?”

“Lady Tas, not to sound out of place but you know the Mah kingdom has never done it that way. Age doesn’t make one fit to be ruler, all offspring of the current Queen or King are eligible for the position.”

Tas groans “yes, yes I know.” She goes to drink but realizes the cup is empty. “D****t”

(Jazo bursts through the door, the rage is evident on his face)

“I swear I’m going to kill somebody!”

“Calm down my son, tell me of your troubles. First fill this glass for your mother.” She extends her wine glass to him.

(Jazo looks around and notices Rama)

“Tell Rama to do it. I’m too mad right now.”

(Tas clears her throat and motions for Rama to fill her cup)

“Lady Tas I must be going I have to inform the others of the meeting.”

“They can wait, do this first.”  (She narrows her eyes on her)

(Rama sighs then proceeds to do as asked, taking the glass then walking over to the wine bowl)

( Jazo continues on)

“Am I not the best athlete in Mah?” (Tas nods her head)

“Am I not the best looking in Mah?” (Tas again agrees)  “Of course my son”

“Am I not future King of Mah? (This time a sly smile crawls across Tas’ face and she slowly nods in agreement)

“Then whoever shall reject me is a fool and must be made an example of!”

“Surely there isn’t a woman in Mah who would…”

“Well there is and she will be dealt with!”

“Son, there are thousands of girls who would jump at the chance of being on your arm. I’m confident you can find someone else.” Tas lays a hand on Jazo’s shoulder

“It’s not about the woman but the principle. She rejected me and chose Ceron instead.”

“Ceron? The shepherd’s son?” Tas looked puzzled

“Yes, Ceron the shepherd’s son . But no matter, they both shall be beheaded.”

(Upon hearing this Rama drops the wine glass)

“RAMA What is the matter with you!?” Tas screams

“D-d-did you say beheaded?” Rama asks Jazo

“Y-y-yes. I didn’t stutter. (Jazo mocks Rama)

“But that is not the punishment for…rejection. There is no punishment for that at all.”

“Well there is when you reject Jazo Mah.” (His look was stern)

“But you don’t even have the power to execute.”

“No he doesn’t. But this is my kingdom and I do.” Tas walks over to the guard in front of her chamber door

“Go get Ceron and this harlot, tell them they are being summoned to the guillotines!”

“Tas you cannot do this! This isn’t right!” Rama pleads with her.

“I believe this is none of your concern Rama, I’ll see you at the meeting tonight.”

(Jazo smirks then walks Rama out to her horse)

(He grabs her arm then leans into her ear)

“You will share their same fate if you ever are the least bit hesitant to my advances”

(He slaps her butt)

“We’ll continue this after the meeting” He winks at her then walks away.

(Rama shudders then climbs her horse and continues on, heading to Om’s kingdom.

 

[Chapter 1, Scene 3]

 

Om’s wife, Kiva, is outside hanging clothes. Rama rides up.

“Hey Rama! Wasn’t expecting you, how’s it going?” Kiva hugs Rama, her b***s almost popping out her shirt because the blouse is two sizes too small. Rama smirks to herself.

“Kiva, I don’t know, do you think your attire is exactly appropriate…” (Kiva starts raising an eyebrow, but Rama cleans it up)… “for this weather? It’s been a little chilly these  past nights?”

Kiva laughs it off. “Rama I know my clothes are a little tighter than what you’re used to seeing, but girl this is me and from where I’m from…I’m the cream of the crop!” She snaps her fingers. They both laugh.

“Om is out with TQ, I think they went hunting or something like that. You know since TQ got in that trouble, Om’s really stepped up and been a strong figure in his life.”

“Both of you have, Tas’ kingdom doesn’t have the best influence…” Rama trails off

“Rama oh I know.”

“Well when they get back inform them that Anasa is holding a meeting, it’s mandatory. I’ll see you later, I’m going to head over to Yula’s kingdom.”

“Alright Rama I’ll tell them, tell Xiouba I’m still waiting on her visit. And girl you need to loosen up, you’re so uptight.”

“It’s not easy working  for this family.” They both laugh. “Everyone’s waiting for Xiouba. Okay Kiva later then.”

Rama mounts her horse and heads for Yula’s.

 

[Chapter 1, Scene 4]

Rama arrives and sees Otiko preparing for the upcoming sport match, playing with some local children.

“Catch Rama!” Otiko throws Rama the ball but she drops it.

“That’s why you’re on the team and I’m in the stands.” They laugh. “Where is Yula and Xiouba?”

“Mother went to the city and I think Xiouba’s in her chambers.”

“Well there’s a meeting tonight after the match, if I don’t see you before then good luck Otiko.” She pats him on the back.

“Thanks Rama.” He goes back to practicing.

Rama walks into the main entrance of their kingdom

“Hello? Xiouba?” She calls out.

She hears someone talking so she walks and as she gets closer she can hear Xiouba talking out loud. Careful not to give herself away, she gets close enough to hear clearly.

(Xiouba is in the mirror, practicing talking to someone)

“I know I’m not supposed to like you but I think I do…no that’s corny. I think we both feel an attraction- nah. (laughs) I want to ask you something, would you be my date to the … oh my goodness why is this so hard? You know you want this…(busts out laughing)  let me stop..

Rama laughs too,  but she would quickly regret the minor moment of distraction as she looked up to find Xiouba standing over her with a puzzled look on her face.

“Rama why are you crouched beside my room laughing to yourself? Are you okay?”

Embarrassed, Rama tried to redeem herself. “I was- I had just dropped something, I was coming to tell you about the meeting, and I dropped something and when I was picking it up, as I was picking it up, I remembered something funny, and it made me laugh.”

Xiouba laughs it off.

“Whatever you say Rama. Anyway what were you saying about a meeting?”

“Queen Anasa has called a mandatory meeting tonight after the sport match.”

“I wonder what that’s about. I’m tired of hearing  all this heir business, can’t she just pick somebody and get it over?” She looked frustrated.

“I’m surprised, you of all people know how important it is for Mah’s next leader to be the right one. Think of the direction this dynasty would take if it were placed into the wrong hands.”

“I have enough trouble keeping this kingdom together, how would I handle four more?”

“Nobody said they had to be in your hands…but the heart knows what it wants.”

They both laugh.

“Rama you’re a slick one. You’re also a friend and I value your opinion. However this turns out, I know my role will still be one of great responsibility, and know you’ll always have a place on my side.”

Xiouba pats Rama’s shoulder and smiles. Rama smiles back.

“Well I’m heading out for lunch, would you like to accompany me?”

“For a lunch date? I would really lik-”

“Well I wouldn’t call it all that, just meeting Jazo to go over some of the sport game plans for tonight.”

“Jazo?” Rama shudders

Xiouba laughs. “Yeah Jazo isn’t the easiest guy to get along with, but he’s my cousin. He’s a little rough but he means well…most of the time.”

“Really? Well tell that to the poor woman and man who are getting beheaded on behalf of your well-meant cousin.”

“Rama take it easy. Jazo isn’t going to behead anyone. I know you don’t like him, but cut him some slack.”

“Would I joke about a manner as serious as this?”

“I don’t know, I mean I understand if you have some ill will towards Jazo. It’s hard being rejected, but he does it to a lot of girls so it’s nothing to feel vengeful over.”

“EXCUSE ME?! Rejected by Jazo?  Xiouba, I mean this with no offense but I would rather take the place of that young woman at the gallows than to ever be in the unfortunate position of wanting affection from a person as vile as he. Yes it is hard being rejected, trust me I know. I’m ignored by the person I adore almost every day, and even if I saw them arm in arm with another , the love I hold for them wouldn’t leave room for the thought of vengeance.”

“Well, that’s one way to put it.” She smiles

“Xi I didn’t mean any harm.”

“You haven’t called me that since grade school.”

“What?”

Xiouba walks up to Rama and holds her face with both of her hands

Rama’s heart starts to race.

Xiouba smiles, “That’s why you’re my best friend Rama, you’re passionate  and loyal.”

Rama’s shoulders drop a little. “Yes, friends.” She forces a small smile.

“So I take it you don’t want to come to lunch?” Xiouba raises her eyebrows

They both laugh

“I have to inform Gorif of the meeting , I will see you later tonight Xiouba.”

“Well we will have to do lunch one of these days. Oh, have you picked out what you’re going to wear to the banquet?” Xiouba questioned her.

“No, haven’t really put much thought into it.”

“Well you better, I know you have someone you want to look hot for.” Xiouba laughs.

Rama forces a small smile.

“Well its settled, you and I have some attire fitting to do. Indian silk importers are coming into the kingdom sometime next week. We’ll have custom made dresses done.”

“Oh Xiouba I don’t need all that.”

“Rama I’m not going to argue with you, I’ll see you next week.”

Xiouba hugs Rama then mounts her horse and waves goodbye.

 

Rama just stood there for a moment, she didn’t hear Yula approaching.

“Once she’s made up her mind there really isn’t much you can say.”

 Rama jumped a little.

“Oh Yula you startle d me. And yes, Xiouba is strong headed…just the kind of leadership Mah needs.” Rama let that last part trail off a little, to gauge Yula’s reaction. But her face didn’t change.

“Rama please don’t tell me you came here to do some of grandmother’s or whoever’s lobbying for the throne?”

Rama went to speak but Yula continued.

“I am aware Mah doesn’t have a planned successor, but what everyone in Kingswood doesn’t understand is that instead of worrying about who’s going to be king or queen, we should be concerned that the people don’t overthrow us first.”

Rama went to speak but Yula raised her hand and continued

“Our priorities as leaders are all twisted. We’re too busy trying to manage power that we’re turning a blind eye to the same people who put their trust and faith in us to provide the best life for them. Our duty is to them and here we are running around with crowns stuck up our asses.” Yula composed herself. She relaxed the scowl in her face and tried to shake off the feeling of disgust.

“May I speak now?” Rama asked in a polite yet stern tone.

“Not yet.” Yula walked up and stood a few feet away from Rama. Close but not invasive. She continued.

“You, I, and most others recognize Xiouba’s vibrant and welcoming spirit. It can be infectious, which is such a lovely character trait. But the issue with those type of people is that you can never be too sure of where you stand. It can be a confusing place to be in...especially when you already feel strongly towards them.”

“Yula what are you trying to say?”

“I would hate for you to ruin your friendship with Xiouba over certain feelings not being reciprocated. I think it would be best never to act on them.”

Rama didn’t know which to defend, her feelings toward Xiouba or her own feelings  for being infringed upon.

Yula picked up the conversation

“There really isn’t much left to be said. You’ve stated the Queen’s request, it has been acknowledged. I gave my bit of input, hopefully all of it was clearly understood and will be taken under extreme consideration. Thank you for your visit Rama, have a safe trip to Gorif’s kingdom.”

Yula smiled, nodded her and retreated into her kingdom.

 Rama stood still for a moment. She knew Yula was right. She called her horse and off she rode to Gorif’s kingdom.

 

 

 

The yelling of wives and mistresses at their respective men was loud, children ran rampant, and yet everyone and everything was tidy if not immaculate. Yes, Rama could tell she was in Gorif’s Kingdom. Though the kingdom was over flooded in extra marital affairs, he-say she-say drama, and b*****d offspring, everyone somehow knew their role and played it well. The city was well managed, no unemployment or homelessness. The people were hard workers who took great pride in their appearance, but just couldn’t “keep it in their pants” for lack of a better phrase.

Rama unloads off her horse and a stuffed animal hits her upside the head. A child runs away laughing. She shakes her head and enters the city.  

As she’s walking to Gorif’s compound, she hears someone running up to her, calling out her name.

“Rama!”

She turns around to see Fatah, Gorif’s 2nd wife.

 “Long time no see.” Fatah smiled.

Rama smiled back. “Yes it has been a while.”

 She and Fatah hadn’t always seen eye to eye. Fatah wasn’t shy of stating her ambitions to become queen.

“So I’m hearing you have some official business to bring? Is it retaining to the throne?” Fatah asked.

“Yes I do believe an announcement will be made. Queen Anasa is holding  a mandatory meeting tonight in Kingswood.”

“Rama be frank with me. How much of a chance does Gorif stand in becoming King?” Fatah’s smile sort of turned into a smirk.

“Honestly Fatah I don’t know since I’m not the one choosing. I don’t know where Anasa or Aniba’s heads are concerning any of the heir  business.” Rama sounded defeated. Yula’s words still weighed on her mind.

“Well what if it were up to you?” She raised an eyebrow.

Rama was in no mood for mind games or sugarcoating.

Rama calmly but firmly stated,  “I would not choose Gorif because he would not be a king but a puppet. I feel you would be too strong of an influence and though you may intentionally mean well, I think your ego will outweigh Mah’s best interests in the end.”

Fatah nodded and sucked her teeth, “You’re entitled to your opinion. But let me guess, you feel Xiouba would be best suited for the job right?”

Rama remained quiet. She wasn’t sure if she should reply with her mouth or her fists.

She remembered her position and quickly realized the consequences weren’t worth a few seconds of an immature expression of rage and frustration. She let silence answer for her.

Fatah let out a sarcastic chuckle. “I figured that.” 

“Figured what?”

Gorif walked up to them.

“Hey Rama what’s going on? Haven’t seen you since the last festival.” Gorif hugs Rama

“Hey Gorif. I was just telling Fatah about the mandatory meeting your mother has called at sundown. As always the kingdom leader along with their respective spouse must be in attendance and I was clarifying with Fatah that as the second wife her attendance isn’t necessary. As she doesn’t have any formal responsibilities, she’s not really a factor in any of the royal court business. I think that’s what she was figuring.”  Rama shot Fatah a look and smiled.

“…Oh. Okay.” Gorif looked slightly puzzled. “Well I’ll see you tonight Rama. Thanks for stopping by. Oh have  you been to Om’s place yet?”

“Yes but I didn’t see him, he and TQ were out.”

“Ok well I’ll talk to him tonight. I wanted him to help put together this new playground for the kids, Herah has been nagging me for a few weeks now (Fatah rolls her eyes and scoffs at her mention) and that kinda stuff just isn’t my thing.” 

Rama laughs, “Oh I know.”

Gorif laughs too, “I’m only useful for two things Rama, Looking Good and making good looking babies.”

Fatah walks off. Rama and Gorif still laugh.

“She’ll be alright, but hey Rama I’ll see you later. Gotta go take Idon to get a haircut.”

“Alright. Tell him I said hello.”

She walks back to her horse. Along the way she sees Fatah talking to a messenger and giving him a note. She thinks to herself, “wonder what she’s up to? And how’d she know I was coming with official business?”  But she had too much on her mind to worry about Fatah.

Back on her horse Rama had one final stop to make.

“Anasa will not be pleased but Aniba did say all potential heirs must be in attendance. Let’s ride Inca.” She pats the horse on its backside. “Off to the Lost Lands.” 



© 2014 Brittini Ennui


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

136 Views
Added on April 1, 2014
Last Updated on April 1, 2014


Author

Brittini Ennui
Brittini Ennui

FL



About
Just going through the motions of life, trying to figure it out without going crazy in the process. more..

Writing