When I Imagine The Day Of Your Birth

When I Imagine The Day Of Your Birth

A Poem by -!katie!-
"

I did this for a workshop at the Young Writers Institute. It is modelled after a poem by Eloise Light. The purpose of the workshop was to explore more creative ways to celebrate holidays and events with occasional poems. Mine is written about my mother's

"

 

When I imagine the day of your birth my breath shortens. I imagine the life I would never have been given if you had not arrived into the not quite cold but not quite warm air of the local hospital where the world greeted you with open arms. I imagine everything in black and white like the movies you show me from when you were young. The look of wonder on a four-year-old’s face as he meets his baby sister for the first time amazes onlookers as chirping birds meet the new spring with the same excitement. I imagine a moderately uneventful day late in may greatly in need of and honored by the beginning of your life. The blossoming flowers curl back, for they know they could not even hope to match the glory of your birth.

© 2009 -!katie!-


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wonderfully descriptive and awe induced. I hope you let her read this.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

110 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 6, 2009

Author

-!katie!-
-!katie!-

pa



About
I'm katie, and that's basically all I am and will be. I am completely myself. I'm opinionated and different and I won't change that for anybody. My past isn't amazing, but hey, everybody has it better.. more..

Writing
We're Over We're Over

A Poem by -!katie!-