Little Girl, Don't Close Your Eyes

Little Girl, Don't Close Your Eyes

A Poem by A.Lee

She is worthless
Just a figment of what she should be
Never right; eternal blunder
The first mistake God ever made
She is scarred
Torn to pieces, in and out
Yearning for a sense of healing
Turned away at every door
She is growing
But inwardly the ghost remains
A childhood lost
A crippled spirit hides in pain
She is fighting
Bobbing just above the water
Waning will
With so few lights to guide her way

Do you notice?
The girl pretending to be strong
She's sinking deeper in the quicksand
Being swallowed up with doubt
Do you see her?
As all the pressure weighs her down
The more she fights the more she falls
And you just stand there...

Little girl
Hiding in your woman's clothing
Don't you know?
There is reason to survive
Little girl
All the things they said were wrong
You can turn away the night
Don't close your eyes...


© 2010 A.Lee


Author's Note

A.Lee
Its different, I know... You may not grasp the way it flows at first... Like I said, its kind of weird, but this is how it decided to be written. I don't even know what I would consider this. The physical layout isn't exactly the way I had it on paper, but I couldn't make it the same way without it looking weird. I'm curious as to your interpretation of this piece though. Those who know me a little more personally may get it easier than others.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

beautiful poem...lines come up smooth,"She's sinking deeper in the quicksand
Being swallowed up with doubt"...great theme i believe and the title too...little girl don't close your eyes...well done

Posted 13 Years Ago


Lovely Piece but yet very sad

Posted 13 Years Ago


Gorgeous piece.. I can actually relate to this in some way, and I have to say, I love it. Great job.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Don't close your eyes...
If you did... would it all dissapear? [You can turn away the night] great line Cattie! And you can... just turn on the light, the reflection of what it was.
Is right there. [With so few lights to guide her way] and the many that have come to bob an weave round you... play. A happy scene from a childhood, not so far away. They sing an laugh in your back yard, outside yourself. A woman seeking to find that healing way. A beyond that comes, with every step taken.

Hmm ya I love your poem and it says a lot and hey ya... deserves a weird reply?


Posted 13 Years Ago


First thing I look for when I read a poem is a structure, a strong enough story that evokes strong emotions, and this poems is awesome great job!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is a very intimate piece. You let us step inside the mind of a woman who could use help, but seems to have been conditioned to show no signs of weakness as her means of survival. I admire parents for constantly being so vigilant against childhood traumas that have the children build defenses for and never let go of for the rest of their lives. You are a hero!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Well, I can certainly feel what you're expressing here. Sometimes it's as if we're two entirely different people... one out of what's needed from us, the other from what we need. An excellent expression. Well done!

Posted 13 Years Ago


I understand it. Sad that the negative things we hear growing up seem to stay with us a lot longer then the positive.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I love the concept of this. It has so much emotion, and is a very powerful piece. It sounds to me like this girl is falling and the speaker is the one person that is trying to reach out and catch her. Very nice work :) The last stanza is definitely my favorite, there's just something really gripping about it.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I have three daughters. I try to teach them to be strong. I taught them how to defend them-selves. All little girls need to know love and be taught they are the world. Without woman. Man would not know love, tenderness and softness. Woman are the Grandmother, wives and sister's/daughters and need to be protected and to know our world would be empty without them. A very strong poem. Easy to get lost. Sometime we must look at our life and think if we were not there. Then you will realize. Woman are the real gold in a man's life. A excellent poem. You made old Coyote think.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1003 Views
29 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on July 28, 2010
Last Updated on July 28, 2010

Author

A.Lee
A.Lee

Monroe, GA



About
I am lots of things, but here you'd identify most with the writer and avid reader. I have three beautiful children. The oldest boy, Seth, passed last year after fighting a long battle with cancer. .. more..

Writing
One Thousand One Thousand

A Poem by A.Lee


Whisper Whisper

A Poem by A.Lee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..