Two

Two

A Chapter by Cagan

My cyborg enhancements had been fitted with a GPS, and so making my way to the nearest settlement was not difficult. The colony, named Opportunity after the Mars rover that had lander near the spot, was one of the older ones on the red planet. I had never seen anything quite like it before.

The most prominent features were the huge domes that rose like mountains above the surface. It was in the climate-controlled domes that food was grown and, as a byproduct of photosynthesis, oxygen was produced to be pumped out into the Martian atmosphere. Through terraforming and oxygen pumping, the air on Mars became breathable, though still too thin to truly sustain life. That’s where the enhancements came in; they helped breathing to be so efficient that one could breath the thin Martian air for hours before experiencing any ill-effects.

Then there were the homes, modular structures built for function over form. Each was equipped with a water recycler and a machine that converted carbon dioxide into oxygen and maintained a constant interior pressure. Opportunity was littered with homes, some forming streets and paths while others simply appeared.

To me, the most impressive part of the colony were the solar panels that stretched over acres of land. The entire colony ran on the power the solar farm generated. As I passed it, I observed workers as they wiped away the dust and sand that had gathered on the panels. They checked each one, making sure they functioned efficiently. Without the solar farm, the colony would be doomed.

I made my way past the panels and towards the domes, thinking that any public buildings were likely to be found near them. The community farms were public buildings themselves, after all. I needed to recharge my electronic half, or it would lock up. I had my own small solar panels, fitted on my shoulders and head, that would recharge me eventually, but it would be a slow and agonizing process. This problem was common enough in this enhanced community, so I was confident I could find somewhere to charge.

The colony seemed to converge into a sort of main street around the domes. Houses gave way to a school, a fitness center, and a couple churches of different denominations. An interstellar post office, responsible for shuttling physical packages between Earth and Mars, caught my eye. But the most reassuring part of the main street was the people milling around in the public spaces. Families picked up food from the domes, a group of young adults stopped to converse, and children chased each other around the school. I wasn’t alone on this planet.

I approached a small family walking back from the domes. “Excuse me?” I asked. “I’m lost. Do you know a place where I can charge my enhancements?” I cringed at the metallic edge of my voice.

The mother replied, looking concerned, “The Shelter has charging stations. Do you know where your family is, sweetheart? Can we help you find them?”

I didn’t know what to say. I don’t know my family. I don’t even know if I have one.

“I don’t have a family,” I tried. It seemed the simplest answer, though from the look on the mother’s face, it wasn’t the right one.

“Oh dear.” She turned to her husband and said, “Take Luna home while I help this little boy.”

“That’s not...I don’t need...,” I stuttered, watching as her husband nodded and walked away with the daughter.

“Nonsense. What’s your name?” There would be no arguing with this lady, I knew.

“Io.”

“Follow me, Io, and I’ll take you to the Shelter,” she said. “Do you have a family name, Io?”

Always the questions I didn’t know how to answer. “No.”

“Are you from Opportunity?”

“I don’t know.” That doesn’t make sense. “I mean, I don’t remember.”

The mother stopped and looked at me, saying nothing. I began to feel uncomfortable, so I continued talking. “I was in an accident. Months ago. I don’t remember anything.”

“Oh, you poor thing.” Her pity was gratifying, in a way. “We’re almost at the Shelter.”

The Shelter, officially known as the Opportunity Disaster Shelter, was a large building dedicated to helping those whose homes, families, and livelihoods had been destroyed by the harsh Martian climate. Dust storms were frequent occurrences, and many became lost and perished in them, or saw their homes destroyed. Lawless bandits were also a perennial threat. What the citizens of Opportunity dubbed the Shelter, therefore, functioned as some combination of a homeless shelter and an orphanage.

The inside of the Shelter’s lobby looked as strictly utilitarian as everything else I’d seen on Mars. There was a front desk manned by a single attendant and some uncomfortable-looking plastic benches. Various outlets and charger cords lined the wall, which I was pleased to see.

“Io, sweetie, why don’t you go sit down while I talk to the man at the front desk?” the mother asked. I nodded, and went to plug myself in.

I could hear bits of conversation between the mother, whose name I realized I did not know, and the attendant.

...doesn’t remember…

How old…

...teenaged...don’t know where he’s from…

...find his family...take him for now?

I can’t...kid at home...brought him here.

Okay...take care of him…schooling...

Thank you.

The mother came back to me, smiling a fake smile. “Good news, Io! You can stay at the Shelter while they look for your family. They’ll take care of you, send you to school, and everything.”

I forced a smile and nodded back at her. She saw through me.

“Listen, Io, these people can help you more than I can, but if you ever need me, just ask around for a Mrs. Wheeler, okay?

“Okay,” I said.

“Okay,” she smiled again. “I have to go now. Good luck.” She turned to leave.

Wait. “Mrs. Wheeler!” She turned back to me, concerned.

“Thank you,” I said, “for helping me.”

She smiled once more, and then she was gone.

The Shelter attendant walked over to me. “Come with me, Io, and I’ll show you where you’ll be staying.” I nodded and unplugged myself. I looked back once at the door that Mrs. Wheeler had disappeared through, and then followed the man into the depths of the Shelter. My new home.



© 2016 Cagan


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

109 Views
Added on December 8, 2016
Last Updated on December 8, 2016


Author

Cagan
Cagan

IL



About
i like superheros and fantasy and other random stuff and sometimes I write about them more..

Writing
Time to Teardown Time to Teardown

A Story by Cagan


One One

A Chapter by Cagan


Three Three

A Chapter by Cagan