Chapter 4: The Truth

Chapter 4: The Truth

A Chapter by Cara
"

Shane comes out and tells June the real reason why they won't go in the room.

"

            “Please pick up. Please pick up.” Said Jeremy frantically as he held his sweatshirt sleeves to his friend’s leg. After his phone rang for what felt like years, he hung up. “Shane isn’t answering. How does your leg feel?”

            Kate looked at him with her makeup running down her face. She managed to fake a smile. “I’m doing okay.”

 Jeremy sat down next to his friend and put an arm around her. “I won’t leave you alone. Okay?” She sniffled and nodded before resting her head on his shoulder. Jeremy was trying his best to stay calm, but inside he knew what this meant. His mind kept going back to his first time here. He and Shane had just found out about the hospital and decided to check it out. At the time, they didn’t have the equipment that they do now. They were just using their phones. They were going around each floor and just sort of waiting for something to happen. Jeremy closed his eyes and pictured Shane and himself walking down the left wing on the second floor and coming upon room 293. He vividly remembers not feeling safe near the room, but Shane insisted they go inside.

“Jer, are you okay?” whispered Kate.

“Yeah I’m okay, why?” he looked at her.

“You’re shaking and your heart is beating really fast.” She gave him a concerned look. “If you don’t feel good we can try and get outside.”

“Nah, I’m okay. Just upset this had to happen to you. I don’t think you should try and walk yet. Your leg is still bleeding pretty badly.” He took the sleeve of his hoodie off of Kate’s leg and examined the three vertical scratches going down the back of her calve. They were deep enough to possible need stiches. He knew if the bleeding didn’t stop soon, he would have to figure out a way to get her outside, and fast. “Just relax, okay? No sense in wasting your energy.” He smiled calmly at her and closed his eyes.

She closed her eyes and the two sat quietly for a minute. “Jeremy…?”

“Hmm?” he said with his eyes still closed.

“I didn’t break up with Raymond because of how he treated me.”

“What do you mean?”

She didn’t say anything for a moment, “I mean that’s not the real reason I broke up with him.” She waited for him to say something.

“What was the reason then?” he held her a little tighter.

“You.” She whispered. His eyes bolted open and he stared off into the darkness. He was too shocked and confused to say anything, although he knew she was waiting for his reaction. “I’m sorry…”

“No, no. Don’t apologize. You just caught me off guard.” He really didn’t know what to say. He’d never thought about her that way. She was always just his really good friend Kate. As he sat there stroking her hair, he started looking back at their friendship. It all made sense now. He thought about the day he first met her, and the way she was almost too shy to speak around him. At first he thought that’s just how she was, but as they became closer and closer, he watched her become more comfortable around him and others. Has she always liked me? He thought to himself. “When did this start, Kate?” She didn’t answer. He looked at her to find her sleeping in his arms. He smiled to himself. He never thought about her that way, until now that is. He watched her chest slowly rise and fall as she slept. He studied the way her hair always fell perfectly over her ears. And the way her left eye twitched while it was closed. He smiled and tracked the curves of her body with his hand, making sure he didn’t wake her up. She had always been there. How had he not noticed it before? How did it take this long to realize just how beautiful she was? How come it took him nearly ten years to see the connection they had? For this one moment, despite the chaos and horror they just went through, Jeremy felt at peace. For the first time in a long time.

 

At the same time, the other two were making their way to the nursey. “So what sort of stuff are we going to do at the next place?” asked June as she followed Shane back into the building.

“EVP session for sure. That’s the most common test we do. We usually get some pretty good stuff.” He jogged up the steps and stopped at the top to wait for June. “You’re pretty quick for someone with such tiny legs.” He grinned at her.

“I learned from having a brother.” She stopped next to share and glanced down at her foot. “I need to tie my shoe.”

“Take your time.” He said as she kneeled down to tie it. “So, about what your brother and I were talking about.”

She finished up and stood back up to find Shane over by the nurse’s station and nursey door. “Yeah?”

He scanned the room and turned back towards June. “We, uh, were talking about you.” He said semi quietly hoping she didn’t hear.

“Excuse me?” she said, “Did you say you were talking about me?” Shane nodded and set his flashlight down on the counter. “What about me? Was he complaining about me again?”

“Oh gosh no!” Shane adjusted his watch nervously.

“What’s wrong?” she said as she slowly approached him. “You look scared half to death?”

He chuckled and sighed, “Oh man, I don’t know why this is so nerve wracking.”

“Why what is so nerve wracking?” June looked confused. “What’s going on?”

He paced around nervously for a moment before turning to June. “June, darlin’…” he started. But before he could say anything else, the sound of footsteps came from the left wing.

“What was that?” said June as she whipped around towards the sound.

“Sounded like footsteps.”

“Are Jeremy and Kate on this floor?”

Shane shook his head and pickup his flashlight. “No, they’re up a floor.”

June moved closer to him and kept her eyes on the dark hallways, “Then, who is it?”

“I have no idea.” Shane pointed his flashlight towards the noise. “There’s no one down there.”

“Does that mean it’s paranormal?” Shane shrugged. “What do we do? She whispered.

“Do you have that EVP recorder that Jeremy gave you?” she nodded and started searching for it in her backpack. “Once you find it, hit the record button. I’m going to do a session while we have potential activity.”

“Got it! Is it the red button?”

“Yeah, that’s the one. Try not to move it around lot.” June hit the button and looked at Shane letting him know it was going. “Is there someone with us?” he paused to wait for a response. “What is your name?” Silence.

“I don’t hear the footsteps anymore.” She whispered. Shane held out his hand singling for her to stop talking. The air in the room started to get colder. “It’s freezing in here.”

“You feel it too?” he put the light on this forearm. All the hairs were standing up straight. “I don’t like this, hun.”

“Why not?” she sounded nervous now.

“The mood in here changed. I don’t like the feeling it’s giving me.” He scanned the hallway again. “Keep close to me okay. If you feel, hear or see anything, tell me right away. Understand?” he said as he grabbed her hand.

“Okay…are we safe?” Shane didn’t answer. June interlocked her fingers with his and grabbed hold of his arm.

“I think we should go back downstairs.” He whispered into her ear.

“Okay, sounds good.” They slowly and quietly made their way down the flight of stairs and back to the ground level of the building. “What was that?”

Shane shook his head. “I don’t know but I haven’t felt it like this since…” he stopped. “Never mind! We’re okay now.” He smiled and sat down on the ground near what used to be the service desk.

June sat next to him and pulled her phone out. “It’s already almost two!”

Shane laughed a bit. “Time flies when you’re having fun. Are you getting tired yet?”

“A little bit. But I’ll be okay.” She smiled and pulled a water bottle out from her backpack.

“Smart. I always forgot one.” He said nodding towards the bottle.

“Aunt Brandi made me bring it. I’m glad I listened, unlock Jeremy.” She took a sip and offered it to Shane. “Speaking of Jeremy, you never had a chance to tell me why you guys were talking about me.”

He took a quick sip of the water and screwed the cap back on. “Oh, right.” He handed the water bottle back to June and stretched his legs out in front of him.

June studied his face as he stared off in front of him. “Everything okay? You seem, worried.”

“Yeah, I’m sorry. Something just doesn’t feel right.” He cracked his knuckles anxiously. “My phone died, have you heard from Jeremy or Kate?” he looked over at June.

She shook her head as she checked her phone, “Nope, why?”

“I don’t know. I just feel like there’s something wrong.” He pulled his knees up near his chest and rested his arms on them. “Maybe I’m just going crazy.”

“I could try calling him if that would help?” she offered as she unlocked her phone.

“That could be great.” He looked at his phone, “I don’t know how this thing died. I had it charging up until we came in here.” He sighed and looked at June. “I know you’ve never done this before but do you feel uneasy right now?”

She dialed her brother’s number and looked at Shane, “It feels different than it did when we were outside. If that’s what you mean.” The phone rang three times and went to voicemail. “It went pretty much straight to voicemail.”

“I bet he’s making out with Kate somewhere, hah.” He laughed.

“You see them too?!”

“What? Jeremy and Kate getting together? Oh yeah. Since the day they met. He just needs to realize that she’s just his type.” June smiled. “What’re you smiling about?”

“Oh, nothing.” She giggled.

“You’re such a liar! Tell me!” he urged.

She bit her nail for a moment then sat so she was facing Shane. “You have to promise not to freak out or something, okay?” He nodded and stared at her. “On the way here,” she started and looked at the ground, “Jeremy was giving me crap about how he thinks I like you.”

Shane interrupted her, “Do you?” She looked up at him and bit her lip while smiling. “Enough said.” He tried to contain his smile, but failed.

“Anyways, he was giving me crap and said the same thing you just said. Something along the lines of ‘by the end of tonight he’ll start liking you. You’re just his type, he just has to figure it out for himself.’” She studied his face waiting for a response. “If you don’t that okay. I get it. I’m the little sister.” Her smile faded the longer it took for him to respond. After a few minutes of silence she turned herself around so her back was resting against the counter. “I get it.”

“There’s something over there.” He said squinting at the corner of the lobby. June followed his gaze and took a closer look. “Do you see it?”

“What am I looking for?” He took her hand and pointed it where he was looking. She followed it and gasped. “W-why is the shadow moving.” She said quietly.

“I have no idea…” Shane slowly got up and grabbed the flashlight. “Stay behind me, babe.”

June was too scared to even notice what he had just called her. She moved herself so she was standing behind Shane, and peaked her head out from behind. “Is it still there?”

“Yeah, I’m going to shine the light on it, okay? Maybe it’s just another raccoon.” Shane reached behind him and took hold of her hand. “I’ve got you.” He whispered. He took a deep breath and shined the light towards the corner. Nothing. “S**t.” He said under his breath.

“What? Is it a raccoon?”

“No, I wish. There was nothing there.”

“But I clearly saw the shadow moving.” She moved out from behind him.

“Me too.” He let go of her hand and stroked his chin and looked around the room. “I just don’t get it.”

“Maybe it was demon or something.” She said it so quietly that it was hardly even out loud.

“Gosh, I really hope not. Those are really dangerous things to get involved with. Without even realizing it he started rubbing the three scars on his forearm.

June caught a glimpse and grabbed his arm. “What happened?”

“What?” he looked and pulled his arm away. “Oh, nothing. A cat scratched me.

“I have a cat. Cats don’t make scratches that scar, unless you were petting a tiger.” She stared at him, but he wouldn’t look at her. “Shane…” she said as she gently touched his arm. “Talk to me.”

He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. “A year and a half ago, Jeremy and I came out here for the first time. It was just us and we had no idea what we were doing.” He hopped up on the counter and patted the spot next to him. June climbed up and took his hand in hers. “We were just sort of wondering around, waiting for something to happen. We really had no idea what to expect, or do for that matter. We had our phones out to get recordings like we had seen people do on TV.” He laughed a little. “We thought we were the coolest people on earth.” He gave her hand a squeeze. “We made our way up to the second floor, erm, technically the third I guess but when they numbered the rooms, they didn’t count the ground level floor. Anyways, Jeremy and I were walking around the second floor of hospital rooms and for whatever reason we were really drawn to room 293.”

“That’s the room with the red ‘x’ on it.” she gave him a confused look.

He nodded and pulled her hands into his lap, forcing her to move closer to him. “Right. So, naturally we followed, what we thought, was our guts.” He put an arm around her. “We went into the room with nothing but the flashlight on our phones to give us light.” He closed his eyes as if he was picturing the scene. “I remember looking at the walls and seeing blood stains and tally marks all over. Literally there were hundreds of tally marks.” He shut his eyes tighter and pulled June even closer. She stared at him with a concerned look. “I uhm, I remember I turned out to show Jeremy but I couldn’t see him. The room had gone dark. My phone light turned off, his way off, and it was silent.” He took a shaky breath and swallowed hard. “I really hate talking about this.” He said as a tear rolled down his cheek.

“Shane…” he kissed her forehead and shook his head.

“You need to hear this.” He opened his eyes again. “I said his name hoping he would respond, but there was nothing. I tried turning my phone flashlight back on but my phone had died. Out of nowhere.”

“Just like tonight.” Whispered June.

“Just like tonight. I started feeling my way around the room trying to find Jeremy, but I couldn’t. Then, for some reason, I looked up into the corner of the room and saw a shadow. At first I didn’t think much of it because that corner was the only spot where the moon was shining. But then the shadow started moving a little. I can remember searching the entire room for what was casting that shadow but there was nothing.” Another tear fell from his vibrant blue-green eyes. June found herself tearing watching him tell the story. She could see how much pain it caused him just to talk about it. He looked down at her and managed a smile. “Don’t cry, beautiful.” He said as he gently wiped a tear from her soft cheek.

“You don’t have to keep telling me if you don’t want to.” She said as her voice cracked from crying.

He shook his head. “It isn’t a matter of if I want to. It’s a matter of I need to. This night shaped me into who I am today. And it’s vital that you know that before anything can happen between us. Do you understand?” she nodded yes. “Good. So, yeah, I tried to figure out what was creating the shadow I saw but there was nothing. I started to panic because I couldn’t even see the door to get out of the room. I can still hear myself yelling for Jeremy, and frantically trying to find him.” He stared at the front door. “I didn’t understand how I could lose someone in a room that was so small. I searched every single inch of that room and he was nowhere.” He paused for a moment. “After what felt like a year, I heard his voice. Or what I thought was him. He was telling me to come over by him and see what he found. I followed the voice to the spot directly below where I saw the shadow.” He started shaking and more tears filled his eyes. “I went over there and Jeremy was standing there but he had no face. I don’t really even know how I know it was him. So I reached out to touch his shoulder, and as soon as I did this piercing pain went through my entire body. The last thing I remember was falling to the ground…” he trailed off.

“W-what happened?”

Shane had tears streaming down his face at this point. He was shaking and trying to catch his breath. “I woke up and Jeremy had dragged me out of the room and to the top of the stairs.” He looked down at his arm. “When my vision came back I noticed a small puddle of blood by my right arm.” He ran his rough handover the scars and looked at June. “When I could managed to get words out I asked Jeremy what happened and he said he didn’t know. I guess I was just walking around the room with a blank look on my face and I wouldn’t respond to anything.” He cleared his throat. “Jeremy said that the scratches just started appearing out of nowhere. He watched them dig into my arm with nothing there to cause them.” He stopped talking and just sat there for a moment.

“Shane, I don’t know what to say.” Said June as she stared helplessly at the visibly shaken man sitting next to her. “I just…”

“Shhhh,” he said has he pulled her close to him, “you don’t need to say anything.”



© 2016 Cara


Author's Note

Cara
ignore grammar problems unless really bad

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

89 Views
Added on June 8, 2016
Last Updated on June 8, 2016
Tags: paranormal, siblings, romance, fiction, young adult, horror, ghosts, family, action, adventure, story, chapter, chapter 4


Author

Cara
Cara

Oshkosh, WI



About
Hey guys! My name is Cara. I'm 20 years old. I tend to write more romance type stuff. Probably because, I myself, am a hopeless romantic. I tend to add some drama and adventure into the mix; ho.. more..

Writing
Chapter 2: Invador Chapter 2: Invador

A Chapter by Cara