The Jungle

The Jungle

A Story by Cari Lynn Vaughn
"

Jungle Trek

"

The Jungle


I moved through the jungle silently. My heart was beating wildly. Sunlight filtered through the trees and made patches of light in the otherwise dark, mysterious jungle. How did I end up here? Slowly my feet padded the thickly foiled jungle floor. Somewhere a native bird squawked and rustled among the treetops. My forehead and neck were covered in the damp, humid perspiration. The heart was almost unbearable. Time seem to stand still in the ancient jungle. It was almost as if I was drifting between long ago and tomorrow. Taking in a deep breath, I pushed aside a branch and peer down over a fallen log. A serpent coiled and uncoiled lazily beneath. I casually stepped over it, hoping it would not strike. Then my party of adventurers followed me. Once we were all over, I sighed. Another possible death avoided. A little crick ran between the beds of soft moss. I stepped over it and continued onward. Suddenly I stopped and looked around. Then I changed directions and went around two small trees. After pushing through the lush greenery, I was back on the path. My followers took my lead in avoiding the giant spider web that stretched across the path. I glanced back, seeing the equally huge spider descended and watch its possible dinner walk away.


The already gray-green jungle darkened and rain softly pitter-pattered on the leaves above. The pitter-patter became a downpour. It was a relief from the heat, temporarily at least. In just a few moments, time the rain stopped and the sun appeared from behind a cloud. My hair clung to my neck and was dripping down onto my clothes. I looked down at my soaked clothes and understood why the natives chose to wear so little. I had an impulse to peal off the soggy clothes and run free, but then I remembered the others. No matter how strong the urge was, I could not act like the natives, not with so much at stake. I had to focus on getting out of there with my life and my sanity. I lured myself onward with thoughts of a nice soft bed, a warm super and a shower. How I longed for a shower.


Tiredness weighed heavily on me as we continued along the narrow path. I wanted to give up hope, but I vowed not to become a victim of the jungle. I would fight all of the dangers and avoid the pitfalls. A monkey chattered overhead, teasing us. I glanced up and wished that he wouldn't be so playful. I was serious�"serious about getting to the ruins and back.

© 2014 Cari Lynn Vaughn


Author's Note

Cari Lynn Vaughn
Flash Fiction

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

300 Views
Added on December 6, 2014
Last Updated on December 6, 2014
Tags: Jungle, Adventure, Trek, Indiana Jones

Author

Cari Lynn Vaughn
Cari Lynn Vaughn

Mt Vernon, MO



About
Writing is not a hobby or career, but a way of life and way of looking at things. I've been writing seriously since I was 9 years old when I wrote, produced and starred in a play called "The Muggin.. more..

Writing