To My Daughter's Best Friend on Her 18th Birthday

To My Daughter's Best Friend on Her 18th Birthday

A Story by Charlene Gagnier

I have a habit of telling people that I have known you since you were two. Usually, my daughter is around when I am saying this and she corrects the story and explains that you and she met in kindergarten.  I smile knowing I have been caught in my fib, but it’s a good fib. I like the thought of thinking of you having been there for pretty much most of my motherhood and being my daughter’s best friend all the way back to before you could remember. Ok, so I admit, you were five.  I can still remember the shy girl you were with the guarded smile, and at the same time, I saw that your spirit carried a sort of integrity that I was able to spot even at your young age. I saw it clearly back in those elementary school days when I watched the two of you interact eating lunch in the lunchroom or laughing in the parent pick-up line.


Over the years from elementary school to middle school, you were right there. Even when we moved almost an hour away to the other side of our county and you two attending different high schools, you remained friends. None of it was easy I am sure, and I know you two had your ups and downs mainly due to the separation and not being together every day and being in the same social circles. Regardless, I often found it amazing when I would think about your friendship and how it would always rebound back.  To be honest, most people as adults do not have their best friend from kindergarten still in their lives; the statistics just don’t support it. People change, and redirect, move on and over time, forget. I myself still have my best friend from high school in my life, and as much of a blessing that is, I surely do not know anyone from kindergarten.  Trust me when I say, you two are a rarity.  

 

Somewhere in the last few years, you went from being my daughter’s best friend to being a person I claimed for my own life, regardless of circumstances or what fate would find for the two of you. Of course, I know you have a mother, and an excellent one may I say, but that doesn’t change the fact that somewhere my feelings became unconditional for you, like a mother figure. I knew after all the years and times we have all shared together, that I saw you as this child that has grown into an adult, and I don’t want that spirit of you to leave my life. I don’t know exactly when, but I made a silent decision that no matter whatever happened as a result of growth and change and developing into the adult you are destined to be, that I was never going to stop loving you. I committed to being there for you for as long as you would let me be there and be a part of your life.

 

So as you embark into this new world, the very tip of adulthood, I want you to know that I am proud of you and all you have already accomplished.  I want to thank you for being the best friend my girl could ever have and being steadfast and consistent in your character and being a great example for my daughter to grow up alongside. I know this thing called growing up wasn't easy, but so far you are passing with flying colors and you should be proud when you look in the mirror. I know I am proud when I look at you. 


Happy 18th Birthday,


Love you, 

Charlene

© 2016 Charlene Gagnier


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

266 Views
Added on September 29, 2016
Last Updated on September 29, 2016